Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha Dynamic No. 2  (Read 2043 times)
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »

Grabbed this one off ebay recently.  I already have a Dynamic No. 40, which is very worn.  This one is an earlier model, a No. 2,  probably from 1962, as it does not have the JIS symbol with 9202 at the headstock, like my other one.  I remember that Sneaky said that the JIS symbol started in 1963.  Anyway, I wanted to try a Dynamic with the steel rollers, which allow steel strings.  Strung it up today, sounds good, I'm hoping it will sound even better after a few days of the DR ExtraLife Light strings settling in (never tried those before, but had a set on hand).   Like Sneaky, I may end up going back to classical strings, as I'm still a bit leery of ripping the bridge off with steel strings, even though they can supposedly take it, I see a tiny bit of bridge lift at the very ends of the bridge.  As you can see, the saddle is different, a cylindrical piece of something, I'd prefer a standard slot, which would allow me to fiddle with saddle height a bit.  The nut has a large shim under it too. Otherwise, real nice shape, with very little wear to frets or the finish on the fretboard.  Funny how the back of the neck is sunburst, on a non-sunburst guitar, maybe they did all the necks in burst, and used them on all the Dynamics, burst or not??   In the last pic, I put the Gibson pickguard that came in my #40 case back on the guitar, as it looked crappy without it IMO, with tan line and old glue showing. 

D-02E
saintandsinnerguy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »

I've never heard of this brand.  Is it it's own brand, or does Dynamic just a name of a line under a popular company?  Just curious.  Who made these?  And how do they sound?

Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"
ibisimon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »

The Yamaha FG conversation kind of mutated into a Dynamic conversation. Dynamics are old Yamahas.
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »

Heres a difference, nut width:  2 1/8"on the Dynamic No. 40, 1.75" on the Dynamic No. 2.  Both have fat necks about 1" thick.

D-02E
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:40:18 AM »

looks nice. Seems to be in very good condition. One of my #2s serial is...62124, the other is 131581. My books have the #2s listed in the Act 1 part of the book along with the #1s, #4s and #8s and before those came the No. 45 all natural maple though not a Dynamic per say, it has the same label as the later Act 2 classical types which have a flatter classical type neck, the 45 has more of a rounder Dynamic neck...the No.45 is the first guitar pictured in the book...but I have been told they were building Dynamics in the 50s...the guys on the Dynamic web site said that my #30`s serial...6659... places it in the mid 50s, the next lowest serial I have is 57675.
Interesting to me that both models you have were not listed as export models in my books...those were the Dynamic 30, 50 and 70 with the #15 that came later.
The necks on the Act 1s appear to have burst necks, the #2 came in two colors the other being burst...maybe they just made the one style neck for both models. Later, the red #10s did not have burst necks. Labels is another deal altogether...they went through several changes... my first #2 has the black lable but I can`t remember if the other has the white/red...like your #40 which leads me to thnk they may have stopped the #2 s for a period and restarted them later with the white/red label...nobody really knows.
I have the same saddle type on mine...looks like it was production though the diameter on mine varies. A 5 digit serial may place it late 50s or very early 60s...6 digits are almost certainly 60s and the JIS gives us a clue but we can only be ballpark with years so far with the data thats available. I saw pics of a guy who slanted the saddle to try to compensate it for steels...it wasn`t completely in the saddle slot, only part of it was and everybody here does say they were able to take steels or nylons...I just prefer nylons on mine and anyways I have some nice steel string acoustics to play...I just like how softly I can play the Dynamics, don`t use a pick, or they can be louder with more attack... very cool little guitars in my opinion and when we say " they ain`t makin` like this anymore"...in this case it`s true. Just another reason to love Yamaha.
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:11 AM »

theres a discussion about neck resets on red labels on another site but honestly...the necks on my Dynamics are so thick they are pretty dang straight for guitars their age...none even close to needing a reset yet...especially those #40s...they have some fat necks don`t they?
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:13:44 AM »

A 5 digit serial may place it late 50s or very early 60s...6 digits are almost certainly 60s and the JIS gives us a clue but we can only be ballpark with years so far with the data thats available.

Sneaky, thanks for the good Dynamic info.

The serial # on this No. 2 is 81251

Do you see much variation in the nut widths on your Dynamics?  I was really surprised that the No. 2 only had 1/75" nut, when I was expecting the wider classical width or 2" or slightly more, like on my plastic-roller No. 40.  I wonder if the steel roller models, designed for both steel or nylon strings, had the narrower nut width, and the plastic roller models has the wider classical style nut?

D-02E
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »

yeah I`ve said the necks on my #40s are the thickest of all my Dynamics...and over here they all have steel posts. To my hands the Dynamics do not have claccical guitar type necks , much rounder and when playing my Yamaha No. 150 the difference is very easy to feel...but even the first No. 40 has a Dynamic type neck not a classical. The rest of my Dynamics seem to have the same nut width however no two feel eactly the same to me...there are sllight differences due to the hand made nature of them I guess. So over here the earliest classicals came with plastic posts and as Archie Bunker would say...ipso fatso...made for nylons while all my Dynamics have steels posts...not sure why the #40s over there have plastic...original? Might be able to see if the holes were reamed out for the plastic might not if it were don`t a long time ago...could be Yamaha exported them with plastic posts...one more thing...my books say the Yamaha headstock logo was arched on the export models while it is straight across on domestics, whether that applies to each model I`m not sure but thats what they say.
Off to work I go...gotta pay for those guitars eh.
ibisimon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:24:47 AM »

Hi Sneaky,
 I changed my ID for the Larrivee forum. On the Acoustic Forum I go by Yamaha Junkie. I just figured it was too pushy a handle around the Larrivee forum. I'm not sure if I mentioned that before.
 What reference book are you refering to?
BTW I have gotten taken out on 2 ebay auctions. If you see a repeat Dynamic for a decent price out there, let me in the club.
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »

there is a series of Japanese books called Japan Vintage with two volumes dedicated to just a few Japanese acoustic makers...Yairi, Yamaha, Pearl with pics of a few obscure makers. There must be more books that are out of print now so I`m going to start looking around used book shops.
There is something called Rinkya which guys outside japan are using to post bids on yahoo japan, there are Dynamics almost every week so so search that service ... but...by the time you pay the shipping charges, the service charges and anything they may charge...you`d probably be better off buying on e-bay where you can ask questions and get more info...I guess you mean you were outbid when you say you were taken out? The only thing I can advise is...wait for a real nice Dynamic and bid higher...I`ve paid as much as $150.oo for mint condition models here so if buyers where ever you are want to pay more then you have to weigh how much you want a particular guitar...remembering they aren`t making them anymore and I doubt prices will go down...plus , where else are you going to find an all solid wood guitar for a few hundred dollars loaded with as much mojo as these 50s/60s Dynamics? A very rare #80 sold for $700.oo recently here.
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:44:45 PM »

just placed the winning bid on this...not a Dynamic but the top of the line classical from the same era...early/mid 60s. My books say it was the model made by Yamahas best luthiers of the day, but as an interesting side note...I have two No. 150s...which are not mentioned in my books but may have come after the No.100 model...the 150s are noted as being solid Palisander. This one is also all solid maple back/sides and spruce top...already have 2 No.100s but one is quite beat up and this one appears to be really dirty but in very good condition judging from the pics. Probably get it this coming weekend after bank transfers and contact from the seller...so...youse probably wanna know how much right?...$26.oo US.

sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:05:55 AM »

came up with another tid bit from my books....seems Dynamic serials hit the 100,000 mark in 1961 and after looking at all the pics, I noticed that all Dynamics pictured with 6 digit serials have the white label with the red dotted line border.
Thats it for now...more to follow as I unearth it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: