Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had An Interesting Experience Today  (Read 579 times)
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2004, 04:14:52 AM »

I got my first subscription issue of Acoustic Guitar which had a cover story about John Jorgensen who is starring in a movie about Django Reinhart. He has played with the Hellecasters and has recently been backing Elton John, although I suppose all of you know who he is.

Anyway, I was reading the article and learned that he played mandolin with the Thunder Mountain Boys, Disneyland's in-house bluegrass band in the '80s. As a frequent visitor to the Magic Kingdom and a bluegrass fan, particularly at the time, I began to wonder if I had seen him. I had spent time watching them and remembered Jack Hatfield, who had written several banjo instruction books, playing banjo with them at the time.

Then I remembered that we had a picture of our son, about 5-6 at the time, with the Thunder Mountain boys. I went and looked at it and my son is standing next to the mandolin player who put his hat on Joseph's head. Looking at the mandolin player, the features are unmistakeably a very young, very slender John Jorgensen.

Anyway, that was exciting for me but it probably loses a lot in the translation. I guess you had to be there.  afro

Don

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »

quite a coincidence......the only time I saw John Jorgenson live was with the Darol Anger/Mike Marshall quintet in about '86 or so (he mostly played guitar.  I was in the Denver Airport last Friday, standing in the rent-a-car line and saw this familiar face that I couldn't connect at first......he kept looking at me and I kept looking at him.....then I realized it was Mike Marshall. I have seen him about 15 times over the years with different groups and configurations and gotten the chance to chat with him on several occasions.  We had a little chat while Darol was "rolling" up a couple of dollies with the instruments.
   BTW, there is a really nice recording of Jorgensen's called "After You've Gone".....not sure if it's still in print.....that has roots in New Orleans Jazz.....he is quite a diverse talent!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: