what do you use to record with on your computer

Started by brandon, July 19, 2007, 08:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i was looking at the line 6 toneport for possibly recording some stuff on to my laptop with just for fun. do any of you have any experience with any of the line 6 toneport products? if not what products do you use for recording at home or on to your computer?
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Don't the Line 6 Toneport come bundled with a copy of Abletron Live Lite ?

Obviously you could start with that.  Personally I use Reaper  www.cockos.com/reaper

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

Brandon,

In seeing your signature line, you probably don't want to support the developer of Reaper given the product names and attitude he displays on his website to persons of faith.

Hardware:  There are countless choices - see if you can find a dealer that will let you try out a Toneport before buying.  I've found Line6 tech support to be less than stellar.   I've had great success with my PreSonus Firebox, but it does require the TI chipset to work flawlessly, and you may or may not have that for your 1394 chipset.

Software:  Many choices again - I personally enjoy using Tracktion from Mackie.  Many people like Reaper, but I refuse using it for reasons most people don't seem to care about.  There is also nTrack in the same price range.  Actually, once you buy your hardware you can try out Audacity and see if it meets your needs.  It's freeware.  It's an audio-only software, but actually quite powerful.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I really don't think it is appropriate for you to be recommending or not recommending products based on your individual religion. I assume by "persons of faith" you mean persons of YOUR faith. Regardless, it is patently against the rules of this forum to discuss religion or politics and I find this comment offensive.

For the record, I've used Reaper and it is a terrific little program. I use Sonar 6 Producer Edition mostly, but have recommended Reaper to many who are just starting and want a little more than the bare-bones (though free) Audacity. Also, I searched the entire Reaper website and even searched the Reaper forum and the parent software company's website and could find no evidence or even a hint of evidence they engage in any discussion other than their product(s) and audio recording.

Thank God I'm an atheist!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Ditto on your very reasonable comments drathburn

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I use "Audacity" easy to learn and use. It has enough on it to keep you learning for a while.  you can find it at "http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/".  Comes in windows, mac and linux. Have a blast! :guitar

Forgot the most important thing, IT's FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You can make a donation if you wish.  Great product. Try it you'll like it. Let me know what you think.
Larrivee OM-03RE 2004
Larrivee Parlor O-R 2003
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Taylor T5z - Mahogany
Yamaha Acoustic SLG200

I've got GarageBand on my Mac but I don't know how to use it. Can a person make any decent recording using GarageBand?
:?

Quote from: the creature on August 06, 2007, 09:40:58 AM
I've got GarageBand on my Mac but I don't know how to use it. Can a person make any decent recording using GarageBand?
:?

Lyle Ritz recorded his last album exclusively with GarageBand.

Article about Lyle Ritz using GarageBand

Apple offers FREE online seminars about using GarageBand to record your music. Follow the links and register (did I mention it is free?)  :smile:

Making Music On Your Mac With GarageBand

Your Guitar, Your Mac, Your Music

Guitarists And The Mac: A Conversation With Pat Metheny

Quote from: uke richard on August 06, 2007, 11:46:32 AM
Lyle Ritz recorded his last album exclusively with GarageBand.

Article about Lyle Ritz using GarageBand

Apple offers FREE online seminars about using GarageBand to record your music. Follow the links and register (did I mention it is free?)  :smile:

Making Music On Your Mac With GarageBand

Your Guitar, Your Mac, Your Music

Guitarists And The Mac: A Conversation With Pat Metheny

Great interview with & story about Lyle Ritz on NPR about a week or so ago.
New album.
Not just a novelty. He's the real deal.  :thumb

Quote from: Queequeg on August 06, 2007, 03:37:49 PM
Great interview with & story about Lyle Ritz on NPR

Thank you for pointing it out. I just listened to it. A lot of it is what we can read in the Apple story or in other articles about Ritz, but it is great anyway. Good stuff!  :thumbsup

Click here to listen to the NPR interview with Lyle Ritz

Quote from: drathbun on July 28, 2007, 04:03:57 PM
I really don't think it is appropriate for you to be recommending or not recommending products based on your individual religion. I assume by "persons of faith" you mean persons of YOUR faith. Regardless, it is patently against the rules of this forum to discuss religion or politics and I find this comment offensive.

For the record, I've used Reaper and it is a terrific little program. I use Sonar 6 Producer Edition mostly, but have recommended Reaper to many who are just starting and want a little more than the bare-bones (though free) Audacity. Also, I searched the entire Reaper website and even searched the Reaper forum and the parent software company's website and could find no evidence or even a hint of evidence they engage in any discussion other than their product(s) and audio recording.

Thank God I'm an atheist!

Sorry - I should have sent my message as a PM.

-Scott

BTW - Garageband is excellent - a collaborator of mine (he lays down killer fretless tracks for me now and then) does all of his work on Garageband, mine on Tracktion on PC.  Works a treat.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

garage band is pretty simple to use if you toy with it a little.

you can add patches and layers and all that cool stuff.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I'd like to record some stuff with it, but I can't ever see me actually taking the time to learn it.  Heck, I got frustrated with a Tascam 4-track years ago and lost interest after about a half hour. 
:arrow

I use CubaseLE because it came with my Alesis USB mixer.  It's a bare to get started with but once you fet through some of the manual it's simple enough.  The USB out of the mixer records right to the hard drive without going through the sound card.  Really nice sound...  If buying a software off the shelf to record with I probably would look for something a little more user friendly like Garage Band.

If using GarageBand on a Mac I cannot reccommend enough the PreSonus gear.  Mine the FP10 has design flaws in the casing as far as firewire connectivity but nothing some simple electrical tape does not take care of and nothing really serious.  The PreSonus firewire gear (firepod and smaller firebox) I have the firepod or FP10 as they are calling it now, are great with macs. Plug it in and it recognizes the gear without installing any software on the computer. then just open garage band make a new track and record thats all its super simple! Mine came with CubaseLE which is compact version of Cuebase which I have heard great things of but I just record through garageband then when I do my mastering I upload to ProTools but thats more than ya need for now.

I use two condensor mics into a Presonus BlueTube which feeds into a Tascam US-122 which then plugs into a USB port on my computer. I use two inexpensive software packages, Mixcraft and Adobe Audition 1.5
Barry

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

2004 Larrivee OM-05
2016 Gibson J-45
1978 Guild D-55
2006 Martin D-16GT
2015 Alvarez ap66sb
2007 Seagull Coastline Folk
2004 Washburn D-10S

I use Delta 10 10 LT, an inexpensive Preamp with Phantom power, and Sonar home edition. Works great, gives me 8 tracks at one time. Here's some clips:
http://www.swirlband.com/songs.html
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

Ableton Live 6. Upgraded from a Live Lite that came with my M-Audio Firewire Solo. Plus an M-Audio NOVA condenser mike.
L-03RE (2005)
P-09M  (24th December 2006)
SD-50  (7th May 2007)
RS-4    (15th October 2009)