Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Well this will resurrect an old post.

In the Larrivee section, I indicated that I polished the guitar using Orsino's treatment of Meguiar's 3 step Auto wax and polish. I love the effect. Subtler than I expected but very nice.

Here is the back of the guitar:

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Yes, Don,
It is always diificult to get the lighting to show correctly.  It looks to me you could have used 2-3 more coats of Step 2 (polish-not Polish); I know when I finished the 3rd coat and started on the 4th, my arms were starting to object!  Curiously, my 03 (mahog)-12 took the shine better with the same amount of coats.  I wonder if the wood type is a factor in absorption/refraction?

QuoteYes, Don,
It is always diificult to get the lighting to show correctly.  It looks to me you could have used 2-3 more coats of Step 2 (polish-not Polish); I know when I finished the 3rd coat and started on the 4th, my arms were starting to object!  Curiously, my 03 (mahog)-12 took the shine better with the same amount of coats.  I wonder if the wood type is a factor in absorption/refraction?
If you want more of a shine you can use 000 steel wool. You have to be careful not to take too much finish off with that though. I wouldn't recommend it unless you take great care to do it as evenly as possible.
I think it's not just more coats with the polish, but also the amount of elbow grease you use when taking the polish off. The harder you rub, the shinier. But, I really like the dull gloss. Unique.

I thought about the steel wool but not too long or hard. Not for my guitars, thank you very much.  ;)

I probably could have exerted more effort into buffing between coats of step 2. I did put several coats on and am not at all unhappy with the results. Thanks guys for all your help. Thanks to Tom for the idea as well as hosting the pictures and to Bernie for the wax. I owe you guys.

Naboz has the litter mate of this guitar. You need to put up polished pictures of that one as well!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I keep hearing 'elbow grease' as an ingrediant in this process.

Why not a buffing disk (lamb skin or somesuch) on a drill? Or one of the electric auto polishers?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Randy, I tried one of those on a car once and burned a nice black spot on my hood.

The main problem is holding the guitar securely (but gently) while you are doing it and then not buffing too hard on the guitar.

As I say, I'm happy with mine the way it is (I wasn't unhappy with the way it was).  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Ya Randy,
I detail cars as a sideline, and between the risk of burning the finish, and then (as Don says) holding the guitar "gently but firmly" so the buffer doesnt grab the first edge and shoot the guitar across the room--(Marlon Brando's voice;) "oh, the horror...the horror!"

Tom, I agree (in retrospect); I think it is in the buffing of each coat that is the key.  And I agree with Don; his is fine, nice, pretty, well done, etcetera, etcetera.