My First Neck Reset - Yamaha FG150 Red Label

Started by drathbun, July 09, 2007, 10:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks for the fascinating tour David. I bet it's your favourite guitar for a while. Heck you did it yourself.
On a different note, is their any truth that all great luthiers were cloned from the original Uncle Rob DNA?

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 27, 2007, 09:59:52 AM
Thanks for the fascinating tour David. I bet it's your favourite guitar for a while. Heck you did it yourself.
On a different note, is their any truth that all great luthiers were cloned from the original Uncle Rob DNA?

Thanks Duck... and it is Doug.  :bgrin:

I got the guitar home this morning. I glued the heck out of the brace and it had held together well.  After playing it a while, I find I still need to tweak it a bit, but compared to what it was before, it is an entirely different guitar. It has punch and projection, tone and is actually playable! My Larrivee is still my favourite, but the Yammie is now the go to guitar for anything outside of my music room!

The Epiphone required a couple of coats of lacquer which I will buff out tomorrow morning. Then I'll bring that beauty back. I'll post some before and after shots!

Unless Uncle Rob routinely throws stuff across his shop in anger... I don't think they are clones! LOL
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Doh! I am an idjit! Sorry Doug. Yeah they can be made to be fine guitars. I swear by my 180 as a campfire guitar. Putting good tuners on it is a big plus as well. Thanks for the phototour.

NP Duck! Glad you enjoyed the tour. It serves a couple of purposes; it reinforces what I learned during each day and serves as a notebook for future reference for me. I'm saving this thread along with all the photos on a CDROM.

I promised some before and after photos of the Epiphone as well. I went in this morning and Miles buffed the guitar after having done a respray yesterday. He enhanced the sunburst as well. It is an amazing repair!

Here is the Epiphone before the repair. The guitar top had completely sprung from the sides from just slightly to the treble side of the tailblock to about the middle of the bass bout. There were four cracks, one of which was quite severe and measured five inches from the bottom. There were two cracks in the bottom side and binding was broken and there was a 1/4" hole in the top with no wood in it.

Here is the guitar repaired. The top was pressed back into place, the cracks glued, sanded and the finish restored. The bottom side was completely rebuilt out of an enormous amount of CA glue, chiseled, filed, sanded and resprayed with sunburst. I don't think it is possible to hide the cracks without refinishing the whole guitar, but now the guitar is playable and presentable!

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

That's a pretty sweet repair. Amazing what they can do eh?

Doug, thank you for the time you put into this thread, I have enjoyed checking the progress every day.
Keep up the good work,
Roger
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"