K&K Pure Western Mini for an OM-03R?

Started by bluesman67, July 06, 2007, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What pickup will sound good for an OM-03R?  With the smaller body and the rosewood, should I go with something other than a K&K Pure Western Mini?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Bluesman,
Is there anything other than a K&K? LOL!!

I'm definately a fan of the K&K.
I installed one on my L-19. I love it.

-Bill
...forever on the never-ending quest for TONE!!!
http://songramp.com/harptech

I have a pure western mini in my OMV-03R and it sounds fantastic!
1986 Larrivee L-05

I have a K&K in my JF-55 that I run thru a Peavy Classic 30 sounds real nice.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

I have the PWmini in my 00 maple/sitka and the trinity in my 000-60 and I love them!

how is the k&k western installed? do they glue the sensors to the guitar?
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I just ordered one so I can't speak from experience. From what I've read super glue insures the best performance but you can use double sided adhesive. I think I've read that they come with adhesive strips if you want to go that route.

Yes, you can use the tape and the guitar will sound great.  Some even like the sound better with the tape, espeically in dreadnaughts as the tape tends to reduce bass boom somewhat. You will loose the option of playing without a premap, however, due to the reduced signal strength  And using the tape will amplify any impededence mis-match from using the wroing preamp.  For example, the harshness and extra bass which CAN be cuased by using, for example,  a Baggs Para DI  (10 meg input impedence instead of the recommended 1 meg) will heightened.

So, if you use the tape, get a K&K premamp.  You'll never regrest it.

I used a K&K mini with tape on a Collings Dread and never regretted it for a minute.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Thanks David. Amplifying an acoustic is new territory for me. Your willingness, and that of many others, to share your experience is greatly appreciated. I ordered a K&K mini and will probably order the K&K preamp after I see how it works direct into PA.

jimmyd,
   Here is a great tutorial on the K&K installation if you decide to do it yourself.

http://www.frettech.com/kk/

Good Luck
kdonovan
kdonovan

Thanks kdon,
The part about making an installation jig should be very helpful. I know the exact size of my bridge plate  and already have a stepped 1/2" reamer for enlarging the end pin hole,(if I can find it in my shop).

Thanks for all the advice.  I love this forum.  I am getting the K&K installed in both my OM's.  I have been waiting for 3 weeks for my luthier to get them in.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on July 24, 2007, 04:19:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice.  I love this forum.  I am getting the K&K installed in both my OM's.  I have been waiting for 3 weeks for my luthier to get them in.

good choice dude, i got a k&k mini in my L-03 WL, and play thru an old create 30 watt amp, and it is aWesome! just have to turn the amp at an agnle so i dont feedback, but i play in a full band, and cut right thru with punch, clarity and power. no preamp required, though i do have to take the low back a bit on the amp....
Woody

2006 L-03-WL
1963 Martin 0-16NY(wife's)

Quote from: bluesman67 on July 24, 2007, 04:19:43 PM

Yikes! I order one about three weeks ago directly from K&K and I had it here in Canada in less than a week.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on August 09, 2007, 02:26:05 PM
Yikes! I order one about three weeks ago directly from K&K and I had it here in Canada in less than a week.

I think he means "in" as in "installed."

I'm a klutz and did it myself in an hour.  I used the FretTech instructions referenced above.
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

I just put the K&K into my hog top and it sounds awesome through my Roland AC-60.  A very pure sound and no batteries required!  Thanks for all the advice, I love it. :thumbsup
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE