best passive acoustic pickup?

Started by brandon, July 05, 2007, 09:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

im soon to be buying a om-03; however, i do not want it to come with a pickup. if i spend a large sum of money, well to me its a lot, on a guitar i would prefer that a big chunk of wood not be missing from it. i have also heard horror stories of active pickups, batteries melting etc. so my question is what is the best passive pickup for an acoustic guitar. my friend has a D-50 and he just put a basic undersaddle pickup in it and runs it through a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. it sounds really good but i just wanted to tap into the infinite amount of wisdom on this site to see what other options are out there. thanks in advance.

in His grasp,
brandon
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Brandon:

I have the K&K Pure Western Mini in 2 of my guitars and will probably install one in my old LS next week. Passive and minimally invasive to your guitar, with nice acoustic sound - at least, that's the opinion of many...
Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando

LR Baggs M-1 on my OM-03r sounds great.  I use it with the LR Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. most of the time but it works very well by itself if I'm careful with my tube amp settings.

The best-sounding one I've heard is the McIntyre Acoustic Feather.  So that makes one vote for the K&K, one for the Baggs and one for the McIntyre ... we're not much help, are we?      :bgrin:

Don Smith

plenty of help. thats three more options to research than i had coming into this post.

in His grasp,
brandon
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I'll break the 3-way tie...
I installed a K&K Pure Western Mini in my L-19.
To me, it is the most natural, clean sounding pick-up I have ever heard. It sounds like my L-19 ...only louder.
I play small coffee shop type venues and open mics, ...nothing but compliments on the sound from the Larrivee.
I purchased a K&K Pure Preamp but have only used it a couple of times. I havent really needed it, except for use as a volume controll. lol.

--Bill

...forever on the never-ending quest for TONE!!!
http://songramp.com/harptech

K+K Pure Western Mini in my L-03E, the 'E' part being the factory installed Fishman that completely crapped out on me and left a big old hole in the side once I took it out.  It actually sounds nice unamplified while I play it.

But the K+K is easier to install than what they tell you on their site.  I used a jig to properly locate it.

It makes for a really easy recording setup.  Just plug and chug.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

i went ahead and purchased the fishman saddle piezo passive pickup tonight. Dan has one installed in his D-50 and it sounds very nice. he gets compliments all the time from a very highly respected sound man on how good the pickup sounds. checked out the westerns but just couldnt go against the good ole piezo
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I have K&K mini in three guitars. Love it!  I've had comments from sound men that say it's so refreshing to hear three guitar sthat actually sound different. (translation: Like themselves!)

Just heard a comment tonight form a lady that said the first time she heard by K&K mini equipped Gibson J-100, she got a lump in her throat it was so beautiful.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

sounds like i may regret passing on the k&k. if im not happy with the fishman undersaddle keep an eye out on the for sale section because i may be willing to let it go. i think itll all work out though!
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I just ordered a K&K mini to allow me to play plugged into a PA for local gigs. Don't want to hijack this thread but I'd love to learn which preamps, DI boxes, etc,, you think work well with the K&K.

Quote from: brandon on July 19, 2007, 08:58:22 AM
sounds like i may regret passing on the k&k. if im not happy with the fishman undersaddle keep an eye out on the for sale section because i may be willing to let it go. i think itll all work out though!
Is it installed yet?  You can always re-sell it.

Here's what one of my K&K equipped guitars sounds like plugged in.  I challange anyone to show me a Fishman that sound this natrual without boatloads of EQ and processing.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=10957.0

David
www.davidberchtold.com

no its not installed yet. i just ordered it off music123 last night. do any of you k&k users have any trouble with feedback issues such as from floor monitors?
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I've never had feedback that I couldn't address with changing monitor angle or moving the mains speakers farther away.  If you play right handed, place the monotor on your left angled at 45 degress.  Puttong monitor on the right can cause sound to bounce off guitar top into vocal mic.  Took me a while to figure this out!

Good luck!
David
www.davidberchtold.com

LR Baggs man here. I have an Element in my 12 string, a dual source preamp using an M1 and I-Beam in the Larrivee. A dual source preamp using an Element and a condenser mic in my Seagull. All are wonderful. The most natural sounds come from the dual source signals, but just the under bridge does a find job by itself. The under saddle by itself is slightly less natural than the under bridge by itself, but you can EQ it to sound very good.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass