Falling in love with your Larrivee again... has this happened to you?

Started by WorksInTheory, July 01, 2007, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just like everyone on this forum I have GAS ( besides my love for Mexican and spicy foods). So I buy a lot of guitars... and of course I sell alot. Overtime I played my Larrivee DV-03E less and less, giving my attention to the new kids on the block and the fancier more expensive ones. Well I got bored with those and decided to pull out the Larrivee again. WOW! I had forgotten how clear it was, how easy and effortless it was to play, how resonant it was. I am thinking man I don't need any of those other guitars and I don't need all the bling or to spend that much money. I could possibly get rid of everything and just play this guitar! This is on top of the fact I haven't changed stranges or done any setups and it only needed minor tuning. Even the trademark sharp fret edges are seemingly less noticeable.

Hmm... maybe I should get rid of all my other guitars? What do you think...

(Ha I am sure I will get some smart aleck remarks from you guys about giving them away for free! I can always depend on someone for that!)
04 Larrivee DV-03E | 00 Tacoma JK50CE | 08 CA GXi | 08 CA Cargo XS-CE
used to own:
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)

Just today I fell in love with my D-03 12 again.  It's amazing what a difference it can make on a 12 to let new strings get a little worn in.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Since I kind of put my guitar on a playing rotation (sort of) I'm always falling in love with all of my guitars.
Ruben

I've sort of done that very thing.  I've owned too many different guitars to even mention over the last decade or so.  It was a blast trying different builders, woods, sizes, shapes, etc.  I learned a ton about woods and guitars and such and it was fun. I've owned custom handmades, small shops, and Taylors, Gibsons, Martins, and Larrivees of all shapes sizes and woods.  And I've sort of come to a point where I've decided that I can do PRETTY well just sticking to basic L-03s and the likes, or even old Harmony Sovereigns and such (under-rated bang for the buck if you can find them in playable condition!).  I've since sold all my pricier guitars (not that I won't get a "boutiquey guitar snob box again someday!!) and settled on some simpler models -- not a single one right now over $700.  I'm happy with them, and they serve their purpose very well.  I don't regret ANY of those I've owned -- from pricey down to catalog Kalamazoos and Harmonys.  But, I'm pretty content trying to find value right now.  And to me, it feels like those returns start getting pretty slim after a certain price point.  But hey...it's fun!!
Brent

Just wanted to chime in here. I also rotate my four guitars, while playing every day. Since my three Taylors are grand auditoriums, the OM10K really "pops out" during its turn to be played. It remains the hands-down best modern OM I've ever played (having played/owned Martin, Santa Cruz and Collings). The koa back & sides really add to its unique looks and sound. So - yes - I do fall in love with my Larrivee- every four days!
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

For me it isn't whether I fall in love with my Larrivee or not...it's more I fall in love with each one every other day.  I've got two guitars, both Larrivee...I've got a cheap old Yamaha and a piece o' crap Stella that don't make into the rotation too often...so between the L-03 and the all hog parlor, I fall in love all over again, the L-03 one day and the parlor next...and so on, and so on etc.  It's tough but someone has to do it I guess.

I also rotate the guitars daily, going through the main three and sometimes the '40 Loye Parlor (lovely little box).

The SD-50 always amazes me in its resonance and clarity all over the fretboard.  So, yeah, there is a reawakening and new appreciation most everytime I pick up the Larry.

But it is also great to have variety.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 02, 2007, 06:13:44 PM
But it is also great to have variety.

Variety is the spice of life!

I haven't had my Larrivees long enough to fall out of love with them. As long as they keep putting out......... uhmm sound, I hope we have a long and happy relationship.  :nanadance :nana_guitar
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

With the exception of my Martin Backpacker, which I have for hiking, camping, travel reasons, I have gotten rid of ALL my other guitars.

Without sounding too melodramatic, I fall in love with my Larrivée everytime I take it out of it's case.

I consider myself to be truly fortunate to own and play a Larrivée L-03 ... which IS the guitar of my dreams.    :cheers
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Hi,

I just finished fitting a new bone saddle that I bought from Larrivee, to my L-03 - Threw a set of John Pearse PB 12-53s - AND WOW!   :drool:

This guitar just gets better to me everyday..  Now I know that there's always the new guitar 'infatuation factor' to consider - But it's the only one I'm grabbing for over 2 months.  If this continues, I'm just going to get the rosewood version, and get rid of the others..   :winkin:

Take care,
Scope

:donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee

Well, since you asked. !st I guess I'm not like everyone on this forum cause I don't have gas. I've had L-10 since spring of 81 and never fell out of love with it. Never got another guitar, except one for travel, camping. It does it for me. I wouldn't mind having some more with different tones, but since l-10 sounds so good for me, it was never like I didn't already have a great guitar. Guess I'm lucky. Changed mandolins once, just last year, after 20 year duty of 38' a-50, one banjo and haven't swapped electrics since I let 3 nice ones ones go in my teens. Maybe that's how I learned my lesson. 73 tele, 63 firebird and 74' 330. I'd say hang on to guitars you have unless your broke or at least wait quite a while before you get rid of them. I waited about 2 years before getting rid of mando when I thought I wanted a different one. What does add a little extra love for me is when I get to stand in front of l-10 when someone else is playing it.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I tend to keep my guitars for a long time but haven't had my Larrivee all that long (yet) so maybe I can't comment. All I know is that I fall in and out of love with my 2 other main guitars and somehow keep coming back. I expect that this will also happen with my OM-03R. Right now I feel as if I've bonded with it and am comfortable with putting it down and giving those other guitars a little attention.

I find that often the reason for this isn't the guitars themselves so much as it is where I'm at in my playing. Sometimes it's just that a different technique has my attention, so that I pick up my OM-03R more. Other times I feel as if I just want to strum and sing and general just beat around the house with a "no worry" guitar, so I pick up my Takamine. Other times, I either want to play without making noise or plugging in and making lots of noise, at which point I reach for my Strat.

Then there are other times where I either don't feel like playing or other things demand my attention. In those cases, I have to put them all down and take care of those other things. Once they're taken care of though, the return to playing is just that much sweeter! I've gone anywhere from several weeks to several months and even a couple of years where playing guitar was put on the "back burner" but once I got back into playing I found that I had much more enthusiasm and felt as if I was learning new things quickly and growing more as a player.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

good post. that makes sense.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Yeah the Larrivee is just an amazing creation for such basics and value. I think that should be what I do is to come back all the time after playing these pricey guitars to ground me.

Here's another situation that sucks - ever try selling your guitar and it takes a while... which gives you time to go back and play it "one last time"... and then you realize crap do I really want to get rid of this? Somehow it suddenly reinvigorates itself... kind of talks to you and says you sure you want to get rid of this? Sort of like back in the days when you are dating and you can't stand the girl (or boy depending on who you are) and you are down to breaking up... and somewhere it's like... one last time or when you run into them later. Hahaha.
04 Larrivee DV-03E | 00 Tacoma JK50CE | 08 CA GXi | 08 CA Cargo XS-CE
used to own:
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)

It's been passion since we met in Feb 06. I don't think faded love is possible with this Larri. When I do need a change I pick up a mando or fiddle since no other guitar even comes close to my 00.
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff

I guess that I can be described as 'moody'.  Although there are some people out there that can make any guitar pretty much sound any way they like by varying something in their way of playing, I certainly can't.  For instance, my instructor is a very accomplished musician having a long history of studio and band work.  He can make his favorite guitar, a Martin DCXE, sound absolutely beautiful with any type of music that he plays from classical to pop, etc.  I, on the other hand, find that I need to vary between guitars to get a particular sound that I am looking for.    Some sound crisp and bright, others bassy and full of sound, etc.   So, I not only switch between sizes but sometimes just switch woods in the same size guitars.  I've got to tell you that each time that I grab another guitar its always, "Hmmmm, I really miss this sound.  Forgotten how good this can be".  Then I'll go play it for a few more minutes, hours, days, etc. then I get finicky and want something else.  Next guitar.....  same effect.

Yes - today!

In an effort to raise cash, I have been having a clear out of excess stuff and not had much time to play lately.

I have listed tons of stuff on ebay and in a weak, frenzied moment considered listing either my OM-03MT or OM-03MT-12 as either would give me a good return here in the UK, which would come in very handy right about now.

This morning I changed the strings and put a Bob Colosi bone saddle on my OM-03MT (which I have always been overly fond of) and fell head over heals all over again. What was I thinking? There is no way I can part with either of these fine guitars.

Rosewood may come and go, mahogany is here to stay!    :arrow
~Lynn :guitar