Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: super glue problem  (Read 1016 times)
acousticsun

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:27:38 AM »

Does anybody know how to remove super glue from the guitar finish, I used it to plug a new  peg in at the bottom of my guitar and got a little sloppy, I've tried krud kutter and goo gone with no luck, would light steel wool work ? if so  how would I get the sheen back? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark
stuco

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 06:33:25 AM »

afro

Oh no, don't put those nasty chemicals on your guitar.  I would try to scratch it off and then take some light abrasive to polish the area back to a gloss(meguiars scratch x works well, you can find it at auto parts places)  If you can't get it off then I suppose you could use some 0000 steel wool but afterwards it will need some polishing again.  Or if you are good with your hands you could get a very sharp razor blade and shave off the superglue, but remember if you take the finish off it's not coming back.
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 06:33:30 AM »

Does anybody know how to remove super glue from the guitar finish, I used it to plug a new  peg in at the bottom of my guitar and got a little sloppy, I've tried krud kutter and goo gone with no luck, would light steel wool work ? if so  how would I get the sheen back? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark

I bought some "Super Glue Remover" from my local hardware store and it works great. Just follow the instructions, use small amounts on the glue area.
BE CAREFUL, I DID NOT USE IT ON ANY OF MY GUITARS.

I used this product to remove the super glue on the back of a K&K pup that I removed from a guitar to install on another one.
acousticsun

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:47:16 PM »

Thanks everybody for your feedback, Mark
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »

The thing that dissolves Super Glue is acetone, the main ingredient in nail varnish remover

..... heck knows what it would do to the finish of a guitar tho'    It would definitely eat a traditional nitrocellulose finish but I don't know about more modern finishing lacquers... 

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 02:45:06 PM »

The thing that dissolves Super Glue is acetone

I thought of posting this answer but didn't want to give anybody the idea because it might just remove more than what you want removed.

I would suggest a direct phone call to Larrivee, they would know for sure if acetone is safe for the finish on your guitar.

Regards,
Roger

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: