Favorite Acoustic Guitar CDs

Started by bamacrazy, June 27, 2007, 04:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: the creature on July 10, 2007, 12:01:03 AM
I don't understand where you folks hear of some of these musicians?  I read articles in guitar mags and lots of stuff online and have still never heard of many of these players.  Guess it's a pretty big ocean out there for guitarists. 

And then on the other hand, lots of times when I do finally hear some of the guys spoken of so highly on the forums, I normally don't enjoy the playing much.  There seems to be many great players when it comes to technique; but when it comes to melody and good songs it's hard for me to find someone that speaks to me.  Anyone else go through this?
Absolutely.  Tons of great technical players but it takes more than great technical playing for a great sons that move you.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Lately, anything by Ana Vidovic, then Harvest Moon, or any CSNY. JP
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

Quote from: Johnny M on November 03, 2007, 08:50:52 PM
A lot of good players and albums listed but you guys forgot one ...

The Pizza Tapes by Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice.  I never get tired of listening to it.

John
I like all the goofy comments inbetween songs on that record.  I'm never sure who's talking though, but I still laugh at them all.  There's this one where someone goofs up and says something like,  "ahh, thought I'd get that one past you, but eagle eye caught me....eagle ear caught me".  I laugh everytime I hear that for some reason.  Those guys must have had a blast making that record.  Tony Rice's guitar playing is frightening.  Nobody should be that good. 
:tongue:

Quote from: the creature on November 17, 2007, 12:20:19 AM
I like all the goofy comments inbetween songs on that record.  I'm never sure who's talking though, but I still laugh at them all.  There's this one where someone goofs up and says something like,  "ahh, thought I'd get that one past you, but eagle eye caught me....eagle ear caught me".  I laugh everytime I hear that for some reason.  Those guys must have had a blast making that record.  Tony Rice's guitar playing is frightening.  Nobody should be that good. 
:tongue:

Creature,
I like those comments between takes, too.  That makes the record sound so "real" like they are just sitting around jamming and rolling tape.  I really never get tired of listening to Jerry, David and Tony play together....they have a great dynamic...even listening to the same songs over and over again you get the feeling like things could just go anywhere.  Yes, Tony Rice is scary good.  He seems to do things that seem physically impossible...the more you listen you more you think, "How does he do THAT?"   :+1:
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

I'll repeat some here, but here's a few favorites:

Andy Mckee - Art of Motion & Gates of Gnomeria
Don Ross - everything. yep, all of it.
Antoine DuFour - Development
Daniel Heikalo - Thoughts for my Father
Craig D'Andrea - Crazy is Catching
Iron & Wine - Creek Drank the Cradle
Michael Hedges - Beyond Boundries - Guitar Solos
Pierre Bensusan - Intuite
Tim Reynolds - Stream

My choices that are always near at hand (and in no particular order):

Adrian Legg - Guitar Bones
Alex De Grassi - Deep At Night (anything by Alex is great)
Preston Reed - Metal
Rob Eberhard Young - Sticks & Stones
Leo Kottke - One Guitar, No Vocals
Tommy Emmanuel - Only
Jim Matheos - First Impressions
Harvey Reid - Guitar Voyages
David Cullen & Michael Manring - Equilibre
Steve Nystrup - Driving Rain
Michael Hedges - Beyond Boundaries
Will Ackerman - Sound of the Wind Driven Rain
Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM