Favorite Acoustic Guitar CDs

Started by bamacrazy, June 27, 2007, 04:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I made two discoveries this weekend; Tommy Emmanuel and YouTube. My old imac system 9 does fine with most browsing, but will not handle some audio/video content. We have been on vacation and took my wife's Dell laptop along. When I Googled TE I got a bunch of YouTube hits and checked em out. As you might imagine it took a loooong time to get me off the computer. That guy is phenomenal! My wife dug his playing too. Looks like Only, Endless, and Live are going on the buy list.
Seagull M6 Gloss
Larrivee 2005 P-09
Larrivee 2007 L-03R

Chet and Merle   Atkins Travis Travelin Show :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :coffee
L05E
TAYLOR T5
TAYLOR NYLON
GIBSON CHET CE
GRETCH TENNESSEE ROSE
68 GIBSON BLUERIDGE

A few of my favorites are :

Earl Klugh - Naked Guitar
Michael Hedges- Aerial Boundaries
John williams - just about everything he does on guitar !
Tuck Andress - Reckless precision
Antoine Dufour - Development

and lots more - which i might add at a latter date

I don't understand where you folks hear of some of these musicians?  I read articles in guitar mags and lots of stuff online and have still never heard of many of these players.  Guess it's a pretty big ocean out there for guitarists. 

And then on the other hand, lots of times when I do finally hear some of the guys spoken of so highly on the forums, I normally don't enjoy the playing much.  There seems to be many great players when it comes to technique; but when it comes to melody and good songs it's hard for me to find someone that speaks to me.  Anyone else go through this?

Quote from: bamacrazy on July 08, 2007, 08:09:15 AM
I made two discoveries this weekend; Tommy Emmanuel and YouTube. My old imac system 9 does fine with most browsing, but will not handle some audio/video content. We have been on vacation and took my wife's Dell laptop along. When I Googled TE I got a bunch of YouTube hits and checked em out. As you might imagine it took a loooong time to get me off the computer. That guy is phenomenal! My wife dug his playing too. Looks like Only, Endless, and Live are going on the buy list.

Tommy's on tour right now, and you have to see him if he comes anywhere near you.

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

1. Blind Willie mcTell - Atlanta 12 string
2. Rev Gary Davis - Blues and Ragtime
3. Ralph McTell - Greatest hits ( really good guitar player and virtually known except in the UK)

Same as all above, but I'll add Al Petteway and Laurence Juber.
Geeman

1. Me and Chet /  Me and Jerry - Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed's two Albums on one CD.  For me, It don't get better than this.
2. Leo Kottke - "6 and 12 string guitar" or "Greenhouse"
3. Hot Tuna - Hot Tuna (Their first album and my inspiration to learn to finger pick)
4. Pat Donohue - American Guitar (Fantastic!)
5. Ry Cooder - Paradise and Lunch (not all acoustic, but I still rate it number 4 all-time acoustic recordings.  Cooder's cover of Blind Blake's  "Diddy Wah Diddy" is the best I've ever heard. Not the fastest, but the BEST, AND the standard by which I judge all recorded acoustic guitars.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Here's a few that, IMO, no acoustic player should be without:

Charlie Patton The Best of Charlie Patton (Yazoo 2069)
Mississippi John Hurt Avalon Blues: The Complete 1928 OKeh Recordings (Sony CK 64986)
Crosby, Stills & Nash Crosby, Stills & Nash (Atlantic 82651-2)
John Hartford Aereo-Plain (Rounder CD 0366) currently out of print
Jerry Douglas & Peter Rowan Yonder (Sugar Hill SHCD-3847)
Norman Blake-Nancy Blake-Tut Taylor Shacktown Road (Dualtone 80302-01256-2)
Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead (Rhino R2 74396)

. . . and lastly, the best acoustic (well, all but three tracks are strictly acoustic) Bentonia blues disc in years, Jimmy "Duck" Holmes Back to Bentonia. Has anybody else here heard this disc yet? If you love country blues, you gotta hear this one.

My life feels richer having listened to the above albums/discs.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: saffron_boots on June 28, 2007, 09:53:58 AM

Don Ross - Passion Session
Tommy Emmanuel - Only

Billy McGlaughlin - Out of Hand
Windham Hill - sounds of wood & steel (even though it's a collaboration with Taylor guitars)
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Michael Hedges - Taproot - Breakfast in the Field
John Fahey - America - Days Have Gone By
Andy McKee - Art in Motion
Peter Lang - Thing in the Nursery Room Window
Leo Kottke - 6 & 12 String Guitar
Tony Rice - any and all
Suni McGrath - any and all

I asked the same question when I first started coming to the forum and got some great suggestions:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1166.msg8626#msg8626

A couple of guitarists that I really like that haven't been mentioned are Doyle Dykes and Keola Beamer, who plays in a wonderful Hawai'ian Slack Key style. Michael Chapdelaine is also one you should check out.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

John Renbourn: Sir John A Lot of...etc Especially THE TREES THEY DO GROW HIGH.
Anything by Paul Simon where he plays interesting stuff like Peace Like River.
Nearly any Pentangle or Bert Jansch recordings.
Lenny Breau doing MERCY< MERCY on his 7-string guitar, live...which I can't seem to find a copy of...
Vince Guaraldi with Bola Sete on Fantasy: FROM ALL SIDES.
Les Paul playing MEET MR. CALLAHAN.
Anthony Phillips: PRIVATE PARTS AND PIECES. Incredible! You gotta hear it!!!

Doug Jones
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Chet Atkins.  I love all of his stuff.  It's precise yet fun to listen to.  Another fine picker that a lot of folks overlook is Jerry Reed.  It's a shame that he will go down in history as "Snowman" on "Smokey and the Bandit" and very few know of this guitar talent.  Check him out on Youtube and see if you don't agree. 

A lot of good players and albums listed but you guys forgot one ...

The Pizza Tapes by Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice.  I never get tired of listening to it.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

If you like John Renbourn and Robin Williamson, look for their live album "Wheel of Fortune" recorded in 1993. With JR on the guitar and RW on harp, it is stunningly beautiful acoustic folk music.

Bill
Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000

How about Neil Young's  "Harvest Moon", and Dwight Yoakam's "DwightYoakamAcoustic.net". Both are
excellent!!!  It's old school Neil Young and just Dwight and his guitar along with some pretty darn good flatpicking.   :bgrin:

Quote from: bamacrazy on June 28, 2007, 10:49:17 AM
Any flatpickers on your lists?

David Grier-  I got the house to myself

Norman Blake-  Whiskey before breakfast
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

"Two Sides of Dave Van Ronk"- the second half is from the "Your Basic Dave Van Ronk"
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Segovia
If it sounds good, it is good.