Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capo Question  (Read 873 times)
Jeff

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:22:57 PM »

I purchased a Shubb Deluxe because many reviews commented that it didn't pull the guitar out of tune.  I find that it does; things go seriously sharp.  If I back off on the tension, then the sound gets muffled.  Anyone else have this problem?  What's the trick--have I just not yet found the optimum tension setting?
Jeff

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:26:51 PM »

You should only use as much tension as required to keep the strings firmly on the fret wire, to avoid buzzing. If you find the capo is pulling the strings sharp you may want to position it a little further back on the fretboard, particularly if your guitar has jumbo or high frets.

Ron

imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »

You should only use as much tension as required to keep the strings firmly on the fret wire, to avoid buzzing. If you find the capo is pulling the strings sharp you may want to position it a little further back on the fretboard, particularly if your guitar has jumbo or high frets.

Hmm... I have a different brand (G7th), but it seems just the opposite is true for me. It's best close to the fret with little tension.
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »

Hmm... I have a different brand (G7th), but it seems just the opposite is true for me. It's best close to the fret with little tension.

About three months ago, I changed from a Kyser Quick Change Capo, that I had been using for years, to a G7th G7 Performance Capo, that I ordered from England ... I got it cheaper than if I had bought it at home in Canada.

After a few songs, I found that the Kyser was stretching my Larrivée out of tune.

However, after experimenting with my G7, I found that if I moved the G7 away from the fret down closer to the middle of the gap with 'normal' clamped tension (a little more than a 1/4 inch away from the fret), I avoided some fret buzz that I was getting on the G string.  And, I have been doing this no matter what fret I've got the capo on.

The G7 has never put my Larrivée out of tune.  After using the G7 for a few songs, when I take it off, my guitar is back into exactly the same tuning that it was in when I checked it before starting to play.    bigrin

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:55:09 AM »

I am a touring performer, and play with a capo, and even two capos at once for all but maybe two or three songs...and my Keysers NEVER "pull" my guitar out of tune. If they did, I'd be retuning more than playing. Normally during the course of a two hour show, I may touch up strings during intermission...

Are you talking about the strings really being out of tune, or the fretting not being consistant up the neck when using a capo?

I DO get a slight inconsistancy on my high E string when I have a capo on the fourth and fifth frets, which is easily fixed my depressing the strng just above the nut, after I put the capo on. I NEVER change the string's tuning to get it consistant when capo-ing high, (which I do a lot). I don't want to be retuning the guitar constantly. Instead, I lift the string at the sound hole to lower the pitch slightly, or depress above the nut to bring it up a shade.

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »

Are you talking about the strings really being out of tune, or the fretting not being consistant up the neck when using a capo?

All six strings actually go sharp.  I then retune and when I take the capo off, all six are flat.

But thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll experiment some more with tension and positioning the capo.    Although it really sounds as if I should switch to a G7!

Jeff

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Kentucky Mandolin
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »

Meanwhile, then, give each string a slight pull, and adjust the sharpness....but try not retuning with the capo on...that's more hassle than you need!

Are all six strings the same degree of "sharp"?
I position my capos just back of the fret...perhaps a fret's width from the fret, no more than that. And again, I NEVER tune the string if one is a little sharp or flat, depending on the humidity...I pull the string to lower it, an press above to neut to raise it, is I need a small "tweak". Has your guitar been set up? I'll be curious to know how this all works out for you! 

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »

Meanwhile, then, give each string a slight pull, and adjust the sharpness....but try not retuning with the capo on...that's more hassle than you need!

I think I've got it.  I backed off the tension on the capo to the minimum required to eliminate buzz.  Then I choked up on the capo to just behind the fret.  My low E was only slightly sharp, and the rest of the strings were still in tune.  I gave the E a tug at the sound hole like you suggested in your earlier reply, and it pulled back into tune.  Neat trick.    Thanks!
Jeff

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Kentucky Mandolin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: