Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair or replace tuning pegs?  (Read 3360 times)
bmyers

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:06:51 AM »

I've had my LV09 for about two years, and have had problems with the tuners for at least half that time. Finally took it into the shop last night, and the luthier determined that the problem is that the little metal sleeves inside the ebony buttons have come unglued from the buttons, so no amount of tightening the screws will make them work. This has happened to more than one of the pegs, too. My question: Is it worth having them reglued, or should I pay for a set of better tuners? And if so, is there a good replacement that won't require any redrilling/filling/etc.?

It's a shame Larrivée puts such crappy tuners on such a nice guitar. I never had any problems with my Taylor tuners in the ten years I owned the guitar!

Thanks for any advice.
Burt

Burt

'05 Larrivée LV-09e
'17 Cordoba C5-CE
'80 Yamaha FG335II
'85 Fender Stratocaster
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 01:18:27 PM »

If you've determined that the Ping's are no longer doing their job, why not just go out and replace them with something that will service your guitar for years to come.  A nice set of Gotoh 510 tuners will be a nice upgrade to almost  any guitar, particularly one that is in need of a tuner repair/replacement.  Unless the cost is too high for your budget at this time (around $80 USD per set on average, if I'm not mistaken),  you'll be real happy.

And, yes, they drop right in where the Pings are sitting, no drilling of new holes or anything.  Let us know what you decide to do, and if it's a straight up replacement with the ever popular Gotoh 510, do you appreciate the difference?  I've replaced the original Pings on all 3 of my Larrivees, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no going back...

jimmy

Zork

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »

Check with Larrivée customer service, I'd think they would replace them. 
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:20:19 PM »

I had the same problem with one of my Larrivees. I e-mailed Brain at customer service and he sent me three of them the same day.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »

Admittedly the Pings are not the greatest, but they look nice, and mostly do the job.  Other than being a bit loose I really haven't had much problems with them.  The Gotoh 510's curves dont match the Larrivee HS and overall design if you ask me.  I would replace pings with Schallers when and if my tuners die.

On the other hand, I think I will replace my Yamaha no-name tacky tacky gold tuners with a set of 510's.  But so far, these really tacky tacky tacky tuners are performing great  .

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »

The Gotoh 510's curves dont match the Larrivee HS and overall design if you ask me.  I would replace pings with Schallers when and if my tuners die.

I guess that's why some like chocolate and some like vanilla.  I find the Pings and particularly the Schallers to look sqaure and boxy when compared to the Gotohs, while the Gotohs are smooth and complement the Larrivee headstock. 

We don't have to agree on cosmetic issues, so go ahead and buy the tuners that you prefer.  The main point is that the Pings are rather sloppy at the post (go ahead and wiggle the post when the strings are off).  You will find both Schaller and Gotoh tuners to have a smooth response, and have a little more finesse when tuning the strings. 

For what it's worth, you might have noticed that Dave Wren selected the Gotoh 510s for those lovely cocobolo L09 30th Anniversary Limited Editions for The 12th Fret's 30th anniversary guitars...

jimmy

stuco

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

afro

Replace with gotoh 510 or gotoh "shaller style" tuning machines, problem solved
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 04:47:31 PM »

I'll put in my usual word about the Gotoh 1951 tuners. The 1951's are drop in replacments and you can swap out your ebonite knobs to replace the chrome ones. I did the change in under 15 minutes. They are 16:1 ratio and, IMO, they are better looking than the 510's and they are a lot cheaper.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html

I got my set on eBay for $20.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
rockin_ron

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

anybody listening or reading what he is saying ????????  The tuner buttons are slipping.  Never had this problem with my Pings, but I did replace the chrome with some nice Ebony from First Quality Music.  No problems and it looks much nicer for about $27.00
stuco

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

I'll put in my usual word about the Gotoh 1951 tuners. The 1951's are drop in replacments and you can swap out your ebonite knobs to replace the chrome ones. I did the change in under 15 minutes. They are 16:1 ratio and, IMO, they are better looking than the 510's and they are a lot cheaper.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html

I got my set on eBay for $20.

Were these the same size as the stock larrivee tuning machines.  Some others suggested I get the Large gotoh "shaller style" tuners. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: