Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuner buttons and tone  (Read 635 times)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:21:59 AM »

Ok so I guess a month or more ago I switched out the pings (w/ ebonite buttons) for Gotoh 0903's(with black metal buttons) and noticed the guitar(OM-03MT) sounded a little different. It has started to bug me lately and tonight I did a test to make sure I wasn't just crazy. I carefully took each button off and put the screw back in so the washers didn't fall off. Sure enough it sounded like its old self(or close to it)...

The heavier buttons resulted in:
The attack not sounding as quick and direct. The sound was too soft and dark(sorta like it moved in the direction of a nylon string guitar).
More sustain.
A deeper more resonant sound, like a more 'down in a barrel' type effect.
The guitar doesn't cut as well and is muddier.
You can feel more weight at the headstock(feels off balance)

I miss the direct crisp sound from the lighter buttons. So now I gotta do some research and decide whether to get some wood or plastic buttons or to get some open back tuners if they are lighter.

Does anyone know of lighter buttons that fit these tuners? The Larrivee buttons fit but are too loose(note the Gotoh buttons are too small to fit on the pings). Here's a link to the tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Large_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: