Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin HD-16R LSH  (Read 3926 times)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:29:02 AM »

One of the regulars over at HC AG posted the link to this model and I gotta tell ya - I'm enticed by it. I love the HD-28 and the HD-35 but it'll be years before I can afford either one. This one seems more attainable, though I'm still GAS-broke.

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=HD-16R%20LSH

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:01:41 AM »

I started talking to Jim Holler @ Trinity Guitars about 6 months ago about this guitar as well as Bryan Kimsey who has worked on more Martin's than anyone else that I know.  What makes it appealing is the features combined with the price.   I personally like the LSH, but some don't.

I didn't want to wait for the guitar to show up at the dealer and I bought a guitar that cured my bled off some GAS. 

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
hal537

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »

I like it especially the nut width at 1 3/4.  What does LSH stand for?  And where has the extra $700 you need for an HD28 been spent as the specs on the Martin site seem to be quite similar.

Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »

I think LSH is large sound hole - a mod some players made in the past. That's a very appealing set of specs, and I like the bracing pattern they use on those.

At that price, I might be more inclined toward their standard series, though that combination of size, LSH, and nut width (not to mention the cool herringbone) is not to be found there.
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »

Tony Rice may have brought the LSH to prominence when he played Clarence White's D-28, the famous 58957.

Here is an article for all you dread history buffs:

http://www.flatpick.com/Pages/Featured_Artist/Tony2.html

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »

It is a nice guitar, and two showed up in my area to try. The catch is I picked up a 6 y.o. HD-28 for less money and it has (to me of course) better tone than this 16 series and 5 other D and HD-28 I played prior to the purchase. After a setup the used HD played better than any of the others and still for less money. That really only left the larger nut width as a reason I'd consider this model.

In order to get the listener side, could only have somebody else play the large sound hole briefly, and it was compared with a new D-28 and used HD-28. To be honest it did not stand out as a new guitar, but the HD was distinctive with low and higher tone. That HD had was not the one I bought.

The main catch is that you have to be open to a used guitar and delayed gratification finding the right one. I have no problems with that when I think of the tone and fine playing instrument I ended up with, and also how the tiny ding and a tiny scratch mean I don't have myself to be mad at at the first booboo.

If one wants large nut, Martin, rosewood and a dread this is super product, but you can get great copies of D-28s and HD-28s for less. If things change I doubt that it will be anytime soon when people say D-28s and HD-28s are not rosewood dreadnought quintessence. The (my) HD is such a wow guitar that I feel like I have an unfair advantage with my friends and one jam I go to.

I digress, but the biggest problem I have with these guitars is that my beloved D-03 not being played, and the HD-28 has caused me to do in a set of strings in a matter of days! The D-03 is so pretty that I just can't sell it yet.
tiffer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »

I happen to have the HD16R LSH and love it.  When I purchased it I had a friend with me who is also a player.  We played this against all of the other Martins in the shop, HD-28, D-28, D-35, you name it.  To both our ears this LSH had a sweeter sound.  Seems due to the larger sound hole the mids and highs are accentuated more giving the guitar greater balance.  It seems to do everything very well.  Yea it's a 16 series, but I would put it up against any of the standard series guitars Martin has.  Had one of our top flatpickers here in the area play it and he fell in love with it.  Said it reminded him of a D-28 LSV.  It's just an all around great guitar and I would highly recommend them.  Just my take, but it is one of someone who owns one. 

Chris

"The present is where the future pauses for a minute before it becomes the past"    Jose Ortega y Gasset
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »

I happen to have the HD16R LSH and love it.  When I purchased it I had a friend with me who is also a player.  We played this against all of the other Martins in the shop, HD-28, D-28, D-35, you name it.  To both our ears this LSH had a sweeter sound.  Seems due to the larger sound hole the mids and highs are accentuated more giving the guitar greater balance.  It seems to do everything very well.  Yea it's a 16 series, but I would put it up against any of the standard series guitars Martin has.  Had one of our top flatpickers here in the area play it and he fell in love with it.  Said it reminded him of a D-28 LSV.  It's just an all around great guitar and I would highly recommend them.  Just my take, but it is one of someone who owns one. 

I wish more were in stock in my area because I am convinced that while all good, some Martins stand out more than picking up a bunch of Larrivees or Taylors at my area shops. Something I noticed with 2 of 3 used HD-28s and no other of the brands and models I tried was sort of a shimmering tone. It was there with one copy that had dirty dead strings and one with fresh strings. I wondered it it was tuning or intonation, but checked the intonation of my D-03, OMV-03RE and HD-28 after the HD had a setup. The HD has superb intonation so I do not think that shimmer is a variant of out of tune, but with it being more obvious with 2 of 3 copies and not with the the 2 brand new ones I wonder if it's the "opening up", but used D-28s, my D-03 and a Taylor 800 did not have that.

Anyway, I think people get too overboard with some of the subtle differences between guitars and strings, but the tiny bit if shimmering tone really is there, and I think it is from the different bracing and age because again, I did not stand out in the brand new copy and one used copy had dirty dead strings.

Back to the LSH. I think it is an outstanding product as "the one guitar". I had a wide nut in my OMV the day I bought the HD-28. Maybe I would not have bought the D-03, OMV and HD-28 if it was hanging on the wall during last year's holiday season????

Enjoy it, and may it become as incredible as my older Martin if not already.

;)
Pilgrim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »

The HD-16R LSH is a great idea.  It combines many of the desirable features of the popular HD-28 with the uncommon (to 14 fret Martin Dreadnoughts) 1 ¾” nut.  About the only thing you “give up” is the dovetail neck joint, something many will never miss.

It’s not cheap, but it has a lot going for it.  A new one will run you about the same as a very nice used HD-28.

OM-05, D-03
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: