Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate Affected Fnish Issues with my Larrivee D-09B  (Read 17960 times)
Peter Cree
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »

i'm a professional retorer/conservator. refinisher etc.  I was contacted and gave my two bits of info.

This was not done by Larrivee.   No way.  the dealer sold a bunch of hooey to Sterling and should be held liable.

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more
stuco

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2007, 02:57:33 PM »

afro

Not meaning this in a smarta$$ way but , Sterling30, why didn't you return the guitar when you got it with the flawed finish?  Have you contacted the shop you purchased from about this? 
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »

but what do you make of the comments of the dealer/repair person who told Sparkysings that this could have only happened at the factory?

Even if it came from the factory like that, Sparky and Sterling chose to buy it used(no warranty) with the finish problems already on it. So it is their fault for not knowing what they are buying or the seller's fault for not disclosing what kind of condition it is in. You don't buy a car that doesn't run then complain that it doesn't run; whoever's fault it is that it stopped running doesn't matter.

Sterling30

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »

afro

Not meaning this in a smarta$$ way but , Sterling30, why didn't you return the guitar when you got it with the flawed finish?  Have you contacted the shop you purchased from about this? 

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on finishes and I saw nothing wrong I guess because I didn't know where to look. I did see glue that was on the bottom that originated from the side wall when a solid block of Ebony was forcible removed in several piece obviously and the glue left behind.

This was my main concern, that the glue might bleed through the wood and affect the finish. I did have that part of the guitar inspected and the person said none had occurred and not to worry about it. And the rep I spoke to Larrivee about this issue said they put a paper label there so that explained the glue residue so I just accepted if you buy a D-09B it's gonna come with glue on the sidewalls so it must be alright. It did seem like an awful lot of glue to hold some paper label though and it wasn't till I came here that I learned it's not a paper label at all that was there but instead a solid piece of ebony which again was forcible removed for some logical reason..

So according to one person I'm somehow responsible for the flawed finish that was clearly not mentioned or even hinted at in the ad I bought the guitar from. And one really decent guy is out and additional $500 and I will now have to cancel an entire summer's worth of recording sessions having not planned on refunding what will now be above the full purchase price of this guitar.

Yeah..., this must be entirely my fault..
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

So according to one person I'm somehow responsible for the flawed finish that was clearly not mentioned or even hinted at in the ad I bought the guitar from.
    Yeah..., this must be entirely my fault..

Peter Cree is a well repected membert of this board and is well regarded as an artisan.  It sounds to me that you have chosen to overlook his point that it was you who purchased a used guitar, a guitar that does not have a transferable warranty, and was in it's present condition when you made the purchase.

You are the consumer and therefore, it is up to you to evalusate the product before any money changes hands.  Given that Larrivee makes it clear that warranties are not transferable, please stop insisting that the condition of this used, 7 year old guitar is somehow their fault.  If you have an issue with how the guitar was represented by the dealer, that is between the two of you.  And please stop obsessing about the glue spot on the inside of your guitar.  The patch is put onto every Larrivee that is built, and if someone removed it, it had nothing to do with them.  Given that it was in this state when you took delivery, it's simply a case of "buyer beware".

Enough!

jimmy

stuco

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »

Peter Cree is a well repected membert of this board and is well regarded as an artisan.  It sounds to me that you have chosen to overlook his point that it was you who purchased a used guitar, a guitar that does not have a transferable warranty, and was in it's present condition when you made the purchase.

You are the consumer and therefore, it is up to you to evalusate the product before any money changes hands.  Given that Larrivee makes it clear that warranties are not transferable, please stop insisting that the condition of this used, 7 year old guitar is somehow their fault.  If you have an issue with how the guitar was represented by the dealer, that is between the two of you.  And please stop obsessing about the glue spot on the inside of your guitar.  The patch is put onto every Larrivee that is built, and if someone removed it, it had nothing to do with them.  Given that it was in this state when you took delivery, it's simply a case of "buyer beware".

Enough!

jimmy

afro
 +1

Sterling30, the only solution I see is to contact the dealer you bought the guitar from asap.  Then I'd refund sparkystrings and get the guitar back in your hands.  Return the guitar to the dealer you purchased it from unless it was represented accurately by them and sold to you at a deep discount.   If the dealer will not refund your money and the item was not accurately described to you then I think you should post his name and business here to warn others.  After all this is an issue between you and the dealer, not larrivee, not the previous owner, and not sparkystrings. You will not get anywhere running around in circles trying to figure out the mystery of the missing case or the ripped out ebony strip etc.
Peter Cree
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »

Ironically , the shipping alone covers about half of the repair cost.     This could have been repaired and you'd have made at least 1000.00 per year just by holding onto it.  In fact it still could be repaired and you could still profit as I suggested a few pages back.

We all feel sorry that you got the shaft on this one.  No one wants anyone to be at "fault".   No one here wants anyone to do anything but enjoy a good guitar.

Shoulda just fixed it and moved on.   Everyone would have profited and you wouldn't have bad-mouthed Larrivee before the situation was analyzed.

What a waste.   And if its going back over a border its likely to be seized since its a 1999 .  A CITES Certification is needed for customs.

If it had been a car and the paint was coming off, you'd be aware.   Its the cheeseball who sold it to you and yes, the law will say "buyer beware".

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more
Sterling30

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »

Enough!

jimmy

That would be a pretty crappy thing to say to other people who may have unknowingly had the solid ebony block removed from the sidewalls of their Larrivee guitar without their consent or were told later by Larvivee personal there was only a paper label that was put on there when they of all people should have known better than that.

Right now I have only one concern. Why was that ebony block was removed from the guitar I bought and how many other Larrivee guitar owners may have had the same thing done to the guitars they bought in good faith.

stuco

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

Right now I have only one concern. Why was that ebony block was removed from the guitar I bought and how many other Larrivee guitar owners may have had the same thing done to the guitars they bought in good faith.

Why does it matter? Whats left, some glue that could be easily cleaned off?  The finish issues would be my main concern along with refunding sparkystrings .  That was a dealer that told you that not "larrivee personell" he was mistaken, big deal.  It seems you think there is some kind of conspiracy with people pulling those ebony reinforcement patches out of used larrivee guitars.   Now, contact the dealer, get the guitar back and return it to the guy who sold it to you, problem solved. 
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »

.... a solid piece of ebony which again was forcible removed for some logical reason..

Anyone who is in the repair or customer service business can tell you for certain that not everyone does things for "some logical reason". Making things "better" is the prime reason most customers need to visit a pro to have the "better" made better.

Spend some time going through frets.com and you will see lots of examples of where guitarists have tried to customize or repair instruments. The results are often tragic.

...or perhaps Gibson customers snap all of those head stocks just to make sure that no potential buyer ever sees the "2nd" brand.

Sorry to seem a bit crass, but Peter really nailed the sentiments of most here. Take the hit, move on and leave Larrivee out of it.

Ron

Sterling30

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »

Anyone who is in the repair or customer service business can tell you for certain that not everyone does things for "some logical reason". Making things "better" is the prime reason most customers need to visit a pro to have the "better" made better.

Spend some time going through frets.com and you will see lots of examples of where guitarists have tried to customize or repair instruments. The results are often tragic.

...or perhaps Gibson customers snap all of those head stocks just to make sure that no potential buyer ever sees the "2nd" brand.

Sorry to seem a bit crass, but Peter really nailed the sentiments of most here. Take the hit, move on and leave Larrivee out of it.

So far the opinion I trust and respect the most  is that of a well respected Larrivee dealer and guitar expert from Winnipeg and he's the person who nailed the reality of this situation by seeing it clear as day that that guitar left the factory in the condition that it's in..

I trust Larrivee doesn't make it a company policy of pawning off of their 2nd, quality guitars on unsuspecting buyers.., but if they have personal among their staff who have the same integrity demonstrated by some of the members here, that could explain how these little mishaps might happen from time to time.

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »

Yes, it is up to you to decide who you believe. Calling a member's integrity into question is another matter altogether.

Ron

Sterling30

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2007, 03:36:14 PM »

Yes, it is up to you to decide who you believe. Calling a member's integrity into question is another matter altogether.

Telling someone they have a guitar that is almost in unsellable condition and then posting a long-winded edict that it's the person's own fault they have a guitar in unsellable condition and it's just "tough ^%$^&", it's no one else is responsibe, yada, yada,  would not be someone I'd want speaking on behalf of any company I might own, especially if it was Larrivee guitars..
stuco

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »

afro

Integrity??? Let's see, who's the one who misrepresented this messud guitar in their ad?  You come here for help but all you want to do is play the blame game, nobody said YOU damaged the guitar, but that it was possible for it to have been damaged by someone in th previous 7 years since it left the factory.  I'm done with this thread, I can't handle irrational people.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »

So far the opinion I trust and respect the most  is that of a well respected Larrivee dealer and guitar expert from Winnipeg and he's the person who nailed the reality of this situation by seeing it clear as day that that guitar left the factory in the condition that it's in..

So you choose to accept the one opinion that happens to accord with your own pet theory of what happened to this guitar.  How convenient.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2007, 04:51:15 PM »

I'm done with this thread also.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: