Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about L.R. Baggs Element Notch System?  (Read 2330 times)
mixxa82

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »

Any comments about pickups that Larrivee uses in the 03-series? Is it worth it to spend  ca. +150$ to get that pickup? I've thought buying L03RE or L03R. Should I install some other pickup afterwards or is L.R. Baggs good? Thank you.   

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »

What is the venue you are playing in? What style or type of songs will be performed? Finger picking or strumming? Aggressive? Using an amp or a PA? If PA, are you using stage monitors or in ear buds? What volume do you think you will be at (medium, loud, REALLY loud)?

The "right" pick up has a lot more to do with what the goal is for the performance. Under some circumstances, one pick up may be perfect, then change the parameters and the same one may not be the best choice.

I have Baggs in both my acoustics and like their products. However, there are several good choices out there. Some of it will depend on what your needs are compared to what you want to pay. Whether you want a pre-amped system or a passive system you send out to a pre-amp. And, if you are comfortable with a pre-amp system, if you want to cut a hole in your guitar for an onboard control panel or not.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
mixxa82

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:31:18 AM »

I'm really newbie with pickups. I have never needed them and I know nothing about them. I start gigging in small clubs next Autumn. We have a duo. I play lead (strumming and soloying) and my buddy plays rhythm. The volume of the sound will not be big 'cause the clubs will be quite small. Is that L.R. Baggs Element Notch System good for my purpose of need? Or should I by regular L-03R and learn more about pickups?
mixxa82

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »

Oh, and I think I'll be using PA.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »

I've always thought the Baggs products were superb but I'd heard so much about the K&K Pure Westerns from other forum members that I decided to give them a try.  First I had one put in to my L-03 and about 2 months later, the parlor.  I use the L-03 for gigging and open mics all the time.  Even though mine are passive, I find the sound very natural and warm with high output considering there's no preamp.  I plug the guitar and my vocal mic into my Crate Gunnison 60w acoustic amp.  It's a super simple set up that's worked well in all the venues I've played to date and one was out on patio where I was competing with city buses and cars constantly driving by.  If you go with a Baggs system, I'm sure you'll be happy but the K&K is worth consideration as well.

I think it's always better to buy the guitar without electronics but that's me.  Some like to have the electronice already installed when they buy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: