Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: guitar set-up  (Read 891 times)
rockin_ron

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2007, 03:29:41 AM »

Probably the best explanation and comprehensive detail on guitar set-up I've found.  Now I understand    and thought I'd share 

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »

Thanks for the link. Great Info.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »

That's a pretty good explanation.  Definitely up there, though I'd still rate ww.frets.com #1.

Note, though, that those measurements assume you know where they should be.  That's the hard part and the part that takes experience.  Many if not most pro luthiers don't measure clearances.  It's done by feel.

See Cumpiano's book if you want to understand the geometry involved.

Also, if you want low action you may need to have your frets leveled and crowned.  PLus your neck has to be really straight with no humps or bumps.  That's the kind of thing those sort of sites omit, but they're good starting points for those of us who want to learn this stuff.
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »

That is a nice tidy web site. I agree that Natelson&Cupiano's book is a wonderful reference that everyone who wants to know how a guitar functions should consider buying even if you don't want to build or repair instruments. Cumpiano's web site is good too.  Frets.com is also a great reference that covers a lot of territory. My favorite site for detailed setup info is Brian Kimsey's site.  http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/index.htm
rockin_ron

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:31:31 AM »

That is a nice tidy web site. I agree that Natelson&Cupiano's book is a wonderful reference that everyone who wants to know how a guitar functions should consider buying even if you don't want to build or repair instruments. Cumpiano's web site is good too.  Frets.com is also a great reference that covers a lot of territory. My favorite site for detailed setup info is Brian Kimsey's site.  http://www.bryankimsey.com/setup/index.htm

That's also an interesting website.  He says, "I like to setup acoustic guitars with .004"-.008" of neck relief ... I've arrived at my measurements by measuring a bunch of well-playing guitars, including those of numerous professional flatpickers."  If this is true than I may have too much relief.  Every where else they talk about a business card thickness at the 7th fret.  That's .012"!  I need to check my guitar against his numbers.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:12:16 PM »

The main thing in a good setup is the player.What string guage?How the player fingers there chords?How much right/left hand attack when strumming or finger picking?
Taking measurements of relief just don't figure into the setup for me.I have an almost flat relief with heavy strings a light chording touch and prefer to use bare fingers for strumming.Most of my friends can't play my guitars.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: