Steve Goodman Biography

Started by bucky1, June 22, 2007, 08:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have just begun reading the new Steve Gooman biography called "Facing the Music. Author is Clay Eals. Weighing in at 778 pages, this has to be one of the bargains of the year if measured on a pound for pound basis. I bought it through Amazon.ca for just over $20 Cdn. I'm just up to his high school years, and am finding even that to be interesting reading. Hillary Clinton was a classmate of his. The author has made even this part of his life interesting reading and is doing a good job of highlighting his early influences.

I skimmed ahead and saw a quote from John Prine saying that because of his aggressive style playing he often broke a string in his concerts. Rather than stopping, he would just keep playing away while changing the string. Prine says he is sure that he only did it to embarrass the other people he played with.

Included with the book is a CD with about 18 songs written and performed by other artists in tribute to Steve. I've never seen that done for any other artist. It shows how much effect he had on his peers.

As a long time fan I am finding it a very interesting read. Perhaps some of you may also enjoy it.
L-03R Lefty

Steve Goodman was one of the all time greats. I remember seeing him in a little coffee house in Montreal (the Karma,for you old time Montrealers) as well as at the Mariposa folk festival back in the early 70's. He blew me away, and I've been a life long fan ever since. I can't express how influential he was to me (along with John Prine). Glad to hear he's been bio'd. I'll be ordering a copy asap. 

The review in the Globe and Mail said that his wife did not give the author any interviews for the book. They speculated that she was writing a book about him, too
L-03R Lefty