Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the best pick-up for my OMv60 ?  (Read 648 times)
Tony Burns

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »

Ive been giving alot of thought as to what pickup would be the best match for my Larry OMv60 , heard alot about Fishman and LLbaggs as well as kk western ( think thats what its called ) - i really dont want to buy them just to find out im not happy with them - Im also not that hot on adding alot of weight as well as 9 volt batteries to my interior - I dont mind using an exterior volume control - think its better than having that Imix stuff glued to the bottom of my sound board - any thoughts or places i can turn to get sound clips or opinions good or bad ? whats the best all round pick-up to install ?
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »

If you don't mind using an exterior preamp, going with a passive system will keep the on-board electronics to a minimum. However, I don't know that I would make the decision based on added weight. I would doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

I don't think the I-Beam is the one glued in. You use special tape when you install the I-Beam. It is the K&K mini-pure system that you glue in. However, neither system installs on your sound board. They will go under the bridge on the support bracing and will not impact the sound board or inhibit the tonal qualities of the guitar. The batteries are placed on the neck support block with velcro tape, so that shouldn't impact sound or tone as well.

The major companies have several types of options for amplification. You can go with condenser mic's, under bridge transducer, under saddle transducer, or even humbucking style sound hole pick ups. They can be installed with on board electronics and a 9v, or you can send them out passive and run an external preamp. There are also several dual systems that will allow you to use a couple of the mentioned applications and you can blend them.

The real decision should be based on what style of music you are playing, where you are playing, the ambient conditions you are playing in, etc, etc. For instance, if you are playing live in a high volume atmosphere with a monitor, a condenser mic will probably be prone to feedback. I called the companies that I considered and asked for technical support. After explaining my conditions I listened to their recommendations, then spoke with a guitar shop about the options and made a decision based on those factors.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I'm not sure there is a "one size fits all" recommendation for every situation. The problem with sound clips is this; you don't know what the guitar sounds like live, so listening to an amplified clip does not really give you any idea of how that particular pick-up is representing the actual sound.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »

You'll find a diverse bunch of opinions on this.  Here's mine:

I've had guitars with Fishman Prefixes (of several varieties), a K&K Pure Western and a Martin gold UST pickup plus the un-venerable Taylor ES system.   The very best onboard sound reinforcement I've played through and listened to were the L.R. Baggs IBeam Active series and the L.R. Baggs IMix.  They are, in my opinion, the next best thing to a condenser mic.

My 000-15S and OM-03R twelve string both have the IMix installed.  My OMV-03 has the LR Baggs IBeam Active (with the volume wheel).  My guitars sound like guitars. 

One word of caution with L.R. Baggs units though.  Have them installed by a competent luthier who knows what he or she is doing.   NOTHING sounds worse than one of these things that's installed improperly.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:58:07 AM »

any thoughts or places i can turn to get sound clips or opinions good or bad ?

Here you go:

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: