ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NEW AND SLIGHTLY OLDER LARRIVEES?

Started by yeshua73, May 28, 2007, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi there. My question is this, is anyone aware of any recent change in Larrivees guitar building that one could truly consider the later builds to be 'better' made guitars than the brand new ones? Of course, the fact that an older guitar will have improved with age is not to be a consideration in the answer.
Thanks. The reason i ask is, i am intending on buying a L-03R this week and someone selling a used one insinuated that it is better than the newer ones because it was built in 2005 "when they still handmade all their guitars and hand selected their woods". Anyone have any comments or knowledge of any truth in that quotation.
I am leaning strongly toward buying one brand new from Jim at Trinity because for under $200 more it is brand new with a pro setup and warranty. I have owned two Larrivees, both of which are  great, but i don't think they have ever been setup as good as they could be.
But if it is true that an older model in mint condition for a little less is a better made instrument , it makes sense to go for that and get it setup if need be.

Quote from: yeshua73 on May 28, 2007, 11:36:58 AM
  built in 2005 "when they still handmade all their guitars and hand selected their woods".  .

The guitars they are making today, to my knowledge, are just as "handmade" and the woods are just as "hand selected" as they were in 2005.  If you want a brand new one, buy a brand new one.  It's just as good as any made in 2005...my L-03 is a 2006 and it's a keeper.

Quote from: Denis on May 28, 2007, 11:51:56 AM
The guitars they are making today, to my knowledge, are just as "handmade" and the woods are just as "hand selected" as they were in 2005.  If you want a brand new one, buy a brand new one.  It's just as good as any made in 2005...my L-03 is a 2006 and it's a keeper.
:+1:

I think the newest Larrivees continue to get better coming out of the factories.  Besides, Jim takes great care of us and doesn't spin any tales.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on May 28, 2007, 11:54:00 AM

I think the newest Larrivees continue to get better coming out of the factories.  Besides, Jim takes great care of us and doesn't spin any tales.

The professor is right about Jim.  I got my L-03 from him and have been a happy camper ever since.  Jim has awesome prices, free upgrade to a bone saddle, low shipping costs...I've still got the box he shipped the guitar in and he has excellent penmanship as well   :wink:

Seriously though.  Way I hear it, Jean still personally selects and grades much, if not all, of the woods for all the guitars they make.  He travels around the world, looking for quality woods, still walks the shop floor (in both facilities no doubt), does all the sunbursts, cuts all the volutes on the necks for the Traditional series guitars...the man is a machine and has totally dedicated his life to building better instruments. 

Two years? I would bet nothing has changed in the last two years. If you wanted to go back 10 or 15 years it might be different. But, even Jean Larrivee himself thinks that the guitars that are being built today are just as good, if not better, than the guitars he produced in years past. If you haven't seen it, down load the "I Build Guitars" video located here:
http://www.larrivee.com/flash/features/larriveearchive/videoarchive/video_archive.html
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Denis on May 28, 2007, 12:31:02 PM

Seriously though.  Way I hear it, Jean still personally selects and grades much, if not all, of the woods for all the guitars they make.  He travels around the world, looking for quality woods, still walks the shop floor (in both facilities no doubt), does all the sunbursts, cuts all the volutes on the necks for the Traditional series guitars...the man is a machine and has totally dedicated his life to building better instruments. 

Wait a minute...I thought you said all the guitars were handmade!  :winkin:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

There are a couple of differences, depending on the model. For example, the OM-50 used to come with a 1-11/16" nut and abalone rosette. Now it has a 1-3/4" nut and herringbone rosette. I think other versions of OM and L bodies have also changed from 1-11/16" to the current 1-3/4" nuts over the past four or five years.

Also, the 03 series used to come with clear plastic pickguards. That changed at the end of 2005 to the current tortise pickguard.

Jim