What would you do (superglue/finish repair)?

Started by Andyroo, May 25, 2007, 09:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, here's the situation my forum friends. 

I'm new to the forum with the acquisition of a beautiful L-03R.  One of these two things must have just happened, because I can't explain how or when it did, and I don't know if I should fix it or not.  It's not life altering by any means. 

But....I now see what could either be a small collection of superglue, or a finish build up, on the back of the neck.  I either accidentally had some superglue on my fingers that was still wet when I picked up my guitar (not uncommon as I have terrible splits in my fingers and regularly use it for gigs), or a finish blemish went un-noticed at the shop when I brought it home.  I would be surprised by that option, but who knows??  It could have happened.

Anyway, any great ideas about sanding/scraping/smoothing it off.....or should I leave it alone since it alters nothing and I can't hardly notice it.  It's about 2mm or so. 

~droo
:guitar

Larrivee L-03R
Larrivee 000-40
Takamine F349
Eastman AR371
Washburn Laredo LT82
Ibanez JSM10

Please bring it to a pro to examine.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

:+1:
Don't take the chance of trying to do the right thing, only to mess up any opportunity for recovery. A professional that deals in these things on a daily basis would more than likely be able to give some excellent advice, if not fix it.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

10-4. 

I would not have taken any drastic measures, believe me  :whistling:

I thought it might be a simple "Oh, yeah...a little touch of Naphtha will fix that right up!" 

Thanks for setting me straight, I will live with it for now and when I get motivated to take it in to the shop, I'll ask then.  But for now.....
:bowdown:

~droo

Larrivee L-03R
Larrivee 000-40
Takamine F349
Eastman AR371
Washburn Laredo LT82
Ibanez JSM10

unless you know what your doing - dont do it - take it to a pro, it might be a simple fix - and it might not cost much if anything - if its factory it might be covered under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it myself.  If you are OK with this '2 mm' spot and it isn't that noticeable, I would leave it.  It might just wear off through normal playing and handling on its own.

But, if you don't really like the look of it and want to remove it, please have a pro look at it before any action is taken.

Your L-03R is a beautiful guitar and I wouldn't take the chance of screwing up the looks.      :niceguitar:

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Thanks for all the replies.  I was thinking the same thing canoe....it might just rub it's way out! 

I solemnly swear that I, Andyroo, will not do anything to harm the finish on my guitar. 

:bowdown:

Yer all good folks 

Larrivee L-03R
Larrivee 000-40
Takamine F349
Eastman AR371
Washburn Laredo LT82
Ibanez JSM10

I agree with everyone else about having it done by a pro.
A little spot can become a big spot real quick.
If you are sticking on it though, you might try some carnuba wax.
Make sure you use 100 % pure carnuba, NO SILICONES.
I like it on the guitar neck as it makes sliding really easy.
I wax mine once a month on all guitars and/or before a gig on which ever guitar gets the call.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

:ph34r:

Try scraping it off with your fingernail.  If that doesn't work then some 0000 steel wool lightly should take care of it.  I personally wouldn't take it to a luthier as it doesn't sound like a big deal especially if you use super glue while playing.