Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's With The Taylor Bashing?  (Read 44387 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. You'd have to see the video. It's one thing for a human being to be working on a guitar using something mechanical and another for a robot to be holding the guitar while another machine does its job.
To say that robots are more expensive is just silly. Why would anyone use robotic manufacturing to increase the cost of building? I would hazard a guess that there is an increased start-up cost but if the result is that you can make twice as many guitars in the same time and they will be identical to the work of a skilled craftsman, then the savings are obvious and profits very attractive especially IF you can sell the guitar for as much as the more handcrafted one.
I have no problem with CNC or robotics, or combination thereof, if they deliver a fine instrument. I've always argued that Larrivées are as good as other top of the line guitars and better because, at least when I was making the argument, they cost less. If part of that is CNC and other cost saving practices passed on to the buyer, I'm beyond good with that. Logically, however, the savings should be passed on to the consumer. Is Taylor doing that? Is Larrivée? The maker who manages to bring the best instrument to the player for the most attractive price should be the one who wins this game. Can I be any clearer?

Hey duck, do you have a link to this video? 
For the record I have never been to a guitar factory and I'm not sure what kind of "robots" were talking about here, I only have first hand experience with robots used for painting in auto production.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33:16 AM »

Bob Taylor refers to Jean Larrivee as his guitar building Buddy. In a recent issue of Wood and Steel Bob Taylor said flat out that he loves Larrivee guitars. I think Taylor bashing and for that matter Elixir string bashing ( they come on all Taylors) is perhaps rooted in a form of reverse discrimination. I've been guilty of this myself. It's a thought process that reasons " if it's popular it probably sucks". In the end though that really is not fair. Being popular in and of itself does not make a product good or bad just, well, popular. When it comes to sales , marketing and distribution Taylor does a very fine job.

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
ewalling

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »

Bob Taylor refers to Jean Larrivee as his guitar building Buddy. In a recent issue of Wood and Steel Bob Taylor said flat out that he loves Larrivee guitars. I think Taylor bashing and for that matter Elixir string bashing ( they come on all Taylors) is perhaps rooted in a form of reverse discrimination. I've been guilty of this myself.

Me, too. I like Taylor guitars in spite of myself, just as I dislike most Martins in spite of myself. It's been a costly and time-consuming revelation.    
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »

Bob Taylor refers to Jean Larrivee as his guitar building Buddy. In a recent issue of Wood and Steel Bob Taylor said flat out that he loves Larrivee guitars. I think Taylor bashing and for that matter Elixir string bashing ( they come on all Taylors) is perhaps rooted in a form of reverse discrimination. I've been guilty of this myself. It's a thought process that reasons " if it's popular it probably sucks". In the end though that really is not fair. Being popular in and of itself does not make a product good or bad just, well, popular. When it comes to sales , marketing and distribution Taylor does a very fine job.

I must respectfully disagree. First time I encountered Taylor guitars, years before I discovered Larrivee.  I was at a high end store with a knowledgeable friend. We were playing Goodall's. Martin's, SCGC's, and Collijngs, all very impessive. The sales guy handed me a Taylor; I played it a bit and looked my friend with a quizzical look, and commented that the Taylor was nowhere near as good sounding. He whispered back that yeah lot of people find them overrated. I have never had any reason to change my mind or reconsider despite the number of sales people who try to get me to like them. Taylor is a brilliant innovator and marketer, but I don't like his sound.

I don't like the bright tone of Elixers and don't care for the feel of any coated strings. But I reserve my disdain for Cleartones which are aptly named as strings that have no tone.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »

I must respectfully disagree. First time I encountered Taylor guitars, years before I discovered Larrivee.  I was at a high end store with a knowledgeable friend. We were playing Goodall's. Martin's, SCGC's, and Collijngs, all very impessive. The sales guy handed me a Taylor; I played it a bit and looked my friend with a quizzical look, and commented that the Taylor was nowhere near as good sounding. He whispered back that yeah lot of people find them overrated. I have never had any reason to change my mind or reconsider despite the number of sales people who try to get me to like them. Taylor is a brilliant innovator and marketer, but I don't like his sound.

I don't like the bright tone of Elixers and don't care for the feel of any coated strings. But I reserve my disdain for Cleartones which are aptly named as strings that have no tone.

Some folks like the sound of Taylors some don't. That's as it should be. Most are a bit bright for my taste though I enjoy the softer sounding cedar top ones.The issue is not liking or disliking Taylors it's Taylor bashing. Some folks love to hate Taylors. Thus The question arises, why all the  Taylor bashing? 

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »

Some folks love to hate Taylors. Thus The question arises, why all the  Taylor bashing? 

There really isn't that much. What little 'bashing' I see here is hardly what I'd call bashing. People were talking about how this thread wouldn't die 8 years ago and it's still going. I'd say people like to talk about Taylor bashing more than there is actual Taylor bashing. Maybe it's a testament to oversensitivity.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »

There really isn't that much. What little 'bashing' I see here is hardly what I'd call bashing. People were talking about how this thread wouldn't die 8 years ago and it's still going. I'd say people like to talk about Taylor bashing more than there is actual Taylor bashing. Maybe it's a testament to oversensitivity.
+1

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »

Hey duck, do you have a link to this video?  
For the record I have never been to a guitar factory and I'm not sure what kind of "robots" were talking about here, I only have first hand experience with robots used for painting in auto production.

Somewhat abridged and a tad more hands on than I remember but not much.

http://science.discovery.com/videos/factory-made-season-2-acoustic-guitars.html

Here's a different one from Godin. Lots more hands on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCDB301dyoM
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: