Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's With The Taylor Bashing?  (Read 46164 times)
mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »

I would expect folks on a Larrivee forum to prefer Larrivee, and that's all it is, a preference.  Just as folks on the Taylor forum prefer Taylors..  It's only natural to defend your purchasing decision.  But how you do it is another thing...
I belong to both the Taylor and Larrivee Forum.  I believe there is at least one post a day, if not more, where people recommend buying a Larrivee over a Taylor, usually I am one of the ones suggesting it, but there seem to be a lot of others that do too.

I wish I would found out about Larrivees before I bought my Taylor, so that I could have compared both, but I still love my Taylor.  However, my next guitar probably will be a Larrivee, Goodall, Avalon, or something besides a Taylor or Martin, because I don't won't to get stuck in a single brand name.

HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 07:29:12 PM »

OK, now it can go to bed.  :unsure:
Not without a group hug man... :lol:  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 08:06:40 PM »

I also haven't heard, in person, a Goodall I like, but I'm not about to say anything bad about them because lots of people I respect play them. And, then again, I don't see Goodall groupies in stores acting like the guitars are God's gift to man.
You haven't seen ME in the shops. I bow before the Goodall alter every chance I get.
You really haven't played a Goodall that you like?
I'm a new Aloha owner. I know that I run the risk of just sounding like another guy defensively justifying his purchase, but after playing mine for a month, I'm hard pressed to figure out how any one could NOT like them. They seem to embody all of the things most endearing about good guitars. Clear bell-like tone, lush harmonics, flawless construction, powerful bass that is clear and not muddy and unbelievable cannon-like volume. I've played maybe 15 or so in the past year. Some better than others, but all pretty much heads above anything on the market. And trust me, my GAS has led me down the path of playing (and yes, even owning some)MANY guitars of many different brands.
OK, I'll get out of the Goodall kneeling position now.
Could be that the Goodall tone is just the tone for me.

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2004, 09:19:06 PM »

http://www.goodallguitars.com/jumbo_large2.htm

sure like to bang on this one...

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 09:21:16 PM »

I would expect folks on a Larrivee forum to prefer Larrivee, and that's all it is, a preference.  Just as folks on the Taylor forum prefer Taylors..  It's only natural to defend your purchasing decision.  But how you do it is another thing...
I belong to both the Taylor and Larrivee Forum.  I believe there is at least one post a day, if not more, where people recommend buying a Larrivee over a Taylor, usually I am one of the ones suggesting it, but there seem to be a lot of others that do too.

I wish I would found out about Larrivees before I bought my Taylor, so that I could have compared both, but I still love my Taylor.  However, my next guitar probably will be a Larrivee, Goodall, Avalon, or something besides a Taylor or Martin, because I don't won't to get stuck in a single brand name.
mnewton:

I have been a member of the Taylor forum for about 3 years myself and agree with everything you've said.  However, and I don't know how long you've been a AGF member, I can recall many more threads that favored Taylor...it's only natural on that forum.  Just as it is on the Larrivee forum to favor Larrivees.  One thing for sure though, Larrivees have always been held in high regard there...well the majority of the time anyway.

Like you, I just recommended a Larrivee over a Taylor in 2 different threads that were comparing specific series of each brand.  I would say that, depending on the application and series, I would recommend some Taylor's over Larrivee as well.

Like you, my next guitar will not be a Taylor unless it absolutely grabs me.  But in all of my test drives over the past couple of years, I haven't had one grab me in a long time.  At least like mine did.  However, I've had a couple of Larrivee's seriously impress me.  That being the case, I believe my next guitar will probably be a Larrivee...an Lv-05 or D-05..can't decide.  Need to find a place to play them side by side and that's not easy to find here.

Anyway, I love being able to have the choice.

All the best,

Mike <><
SR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 03:27:57 PM »

OK, now it can go to bed.  :unsure:
Not without a group hug man... :lol:
Ok Here ya go here's a group hug  :lol:  

For what it's worth I like both guitars and hopefully my next acoustic is going to be a Larrivee maybe an OM I'm finding the OM type guitars more comfortable to play than the Dreadnaught's

Jim S

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 06:24:58 AM »

I've never found a Taylor I liked.  The tone just never hooked me. And that's not bashing; it's just my personal preference.  But many people swear by them.

And that's emphasizes the luxury we have of finding luthiers, amp builders, fx manufacturers to satisfy our individual tastes in tone and feel.  

I <3 POW
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 01:21:16 PM »

;) At the price most of the high end guitars cost, the bottom is, we all better be happy with the purchase we made. The actual differences between a Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Goodall, Lowden, etc., is really in a lot of intangibles which come down to the 'touchy feelies' of how the guitar moved us at some level (most likely based on the depth of our credit limit) and the rest is just us continually convincing ourselves that we made an intelligent rather than an emotional decision. The is the same discussion the owners of a BMW, Mercedes or a Porsche could be having. Either way they bought a car, and they could just as easily have bought a nice Ford for a lot less money and still have had a nice car. Instead they nit-pick over who bought the more refined car and what 'refined' actually means.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
rwhitted

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 01:44:17 PM »

The actual differences between a Taylor, Breedlove, Larrivee, Goodall, Lowden, etc., is really in a lot of intangibles which come down to the 'touchy feelies' of how the guitar moved us at some level (most likely based on the depth of our credit limit) and the rest is just us continually convincing ourselves that we made an intelligent rather than an emotional decision.

I have to kindly disagree with that. The difference is sound. Case in point - if you listen to Taylor's Sounds of Wood & Steel CD, that's the litmus test. Taylors have a very different, distinct sound. If you like the sound of that album, you like Taylors. I couldn't stand the sound (with the exception of Will Ackerman's piece, who made even a Taylor sound great) despite the excellent talent. Whereas in the car world, any enthusiast would be happy to drive any other high-end car regardless of owning it, the sound of a Taylor to some is just not pleasing. But if you like the sound, heck, you've got a great community, tons of resources to feed your addiction, and a crowd of people who think you're pretty cool for owning one. I honestly wish I did like the sound. And I wish I had ten more Larrivees.

Larrivee C-05
Larrivee 00-05
Warren White 1967 Brazilian classical
1972 Mahogany classical built by my Grandpa!
Martin Backpacker
Jim S

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 01:52:35 PM »

Good point.

I really don't dig Taylors.

In the past 5 years I've had a BMW, Porsche, and Ferrari. All made me happy and everybody who was into cars loved 'em.

I <3 POW
johnlg

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 04:54:15 PM »

I have a Big Baby Taylor (my beater for camping) and I like it a lot.  I bought it because my Larrivee Parlor means so much to me that I decided to never take it into rough situations.

Having praised the Big Baby, I have to flip the coin and say that it is Bob Taylors control fetishes that have turned me off to Taylor.

-The dealers can't advertise prices
-The dealers can't advertise inventory
-The dealers can't say much of anything on the internet
-Bob Taylor's legal eagles stopped the Taylor forum from using the word Taylor on their web site even with a proper disclaimer that the site was an unofficial  fan web site.  (Ticking off thousands of internet posters who had been providing great market input through their posts on the site.)
-There is no mention of where you bought, what you paid or any money discussion allowed on fan web sites.

My good friend spent $2000 on a Taylor, he had to drive over 600 miles to 3 good dealerships, study the inventory, learn the common street prices, and make a purchase decision and then drive back to the dealer where he spent his money.  If a car manufacturer, or home appliance manufacturer or any other business treated my wife and I in that manner, I would not give them my money.  It seems paranoid and silly to me.

When I bought my Larrivee Parlor, I read pricing info, store info, people info etc all on this site and learned a lot.  Info is power.  I bought a great guitar after physical shopping, internet shopping, telephone shopping and studying this site.  It felt good.  I enjoyed the process and I feel really confident about my decision.  Taylor policy drives me nuts.

I bought the Big Baby because several relatives gave me Guitar Center gift card for my 40th birthday, I walked into GC and they had a perfect used Big baby at a great price.  I doubt that Taylor will get addition money from me in the future.  Love the guitar, hate the rules and marketing.

Stepping off the soapbox........
John

Carry On!

John
koaguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2004, 04:55:57 PM »

I tend to love all guitars, as long as they are Koa.
We can all get along without bashing, can't we?

Russ

Taylor Liberty TreeGoodall KJCK (All Koa), [url=http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2011333&uid=10
sjax

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2004, 06:46:26 PM »

Hey John, since you have both a BBT and a Larrivee parlor, how about some comparitive info?  Size, sound, feel, etc.  I've got a BBT and I've been thinking about a Larrivee parlor but I've never seen one in person.  Your experience would be most helpful to me.  Thanks.  Steve

johnlg

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2004, 08:43:48 PM »

The Parlor having a wider nut and shorter scale is a joy for fingerstyle practice and playing.  It seems that any tone inflections that you play with the right hand (provided that you're right handed) jump out of a Parlor guitar.

The Big Baby is a standard 14 fret guitar with a narrow nut, it is nice to play fingerstyle but the Larrivee has the wider nut and elastic string quality associated with a 12 fretter.  

The dovetail neck set and all tone wood construction on the Parlor also make it very special.  It's a very high quality, small guitar.  The Big Baby has veneer sides and back and the two screws placed right through the fretboard; it's not at all the same guitar from a construction standpoint but still a very nice guitar.  My son just started Tiger Cub Scouts and I wanted a guitar that I can drag on a camping trip, perhaps even share with the kids, the Big Baby will  be perfect.  The Larrivee sounds more refined and the contruction is more refined.  If you are looking for a nice guitar to work on fingerstyle technique or scales or late night chop building, the Parlor will entertain you at great length, it is not as loud as the Big Baby but it plays much better (and easier due to the 12 frets) and the chiming tone from the Parlor is much prettier even though it is softer.  I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for in a Big baby vs. Parlor comparison but I hope that this explanation helps.

I've been watching Parlors on e-bay for abut 7 months (since I bought mine from a store.)  There was a satin mahagony parlor on ebay last night - bidding was up to only $250.00.  I think the auction ends tommorow.  The older satin models (like mine) have been fetching over $400 now that the gloss parlors are so expensive.  Get one while you can if you like satin.  Great little guitars.

Carry On!

John
sjax

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2004, 09:27:08 PM »

Thanks John, that covers it pretty good.  The only other question I can think of is overall size of the guitars.
johnlg

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2004, 09:42:27 PM »

The Parlor is only 13.25 inches wide at the lower bout and about 1/4 shoter than a Dread.  It sits neatly on your lap.  It has just enough body that your right arm drapes across the body and makes everything feel balanced and comfy.  If you've ever seen an Art & Lutherie Ami, they are the same size.

The Parlor is smaller but it feels like a real guitar, it doesn't feel like an LXM or a Baby Taylor

Carry On!

John
johnlg

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2004, 09:42:30 PM »

The Parlor is only 13.25 inches wide at the lower bout and about 1/4 shorter than a Dread.  It sits neatly on your lap.  It has just enough body that your right arm drapes across the body and makes everything feel balanced and comfy.  If you've ever seen an Art & Lutherie Ami, they are the same size.

The Parlor is smaller but it feels like a real guitar, it doesn't feel like an LXM or a Baby Taylor

Carry On!

John
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 07:49:40 PM »

Since I started playing guitar in 1964 I have owned acoustic guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Taylor, Takamine, Epiphone, Larrivee, Dobro, Rainsong, and Breedlove.  I currently own four Taylors and two Larrivees.  I really like most Taylors, but not all.  I really like most Larrivees, but not all.  I have a Mayes custom SJ on order...which I believe I'll really like.  I've really liked the Huss & Daltons I've played, and hope to own one soon.  I've really liked the Goodalls I've played, but have no interest in owning one.  I've never found a Martin, Collings or a Breedlove that I liked.  Not that I think they're bad guitars (they're certainly not!), but I just don't like 'em.

It's all subjective, and, to me, bashing one brand over another is just silly.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »

I have a Mayes custom SJ on order...which I believe I'll really like.
I want one of those or the Mayes Jumbo Parlor.

Let me know how it turns out.

flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2004, 01:42:22 AM »

I have a Mayes custom SJ on order...which I believe I'll really like.
I want one of those or the Mayes Jumbo Parlor.

Let me know how it turns out.
I just talked with John (actually...by email) today and he's doing the inlay for the headstock and fretboard right now.  When I get the guitar, I'll try and get a pic to be posted.

The specs:

Indian rosewood back and sides
Sitka top
Koa binding
Brazilian headstock overlay and bridge
Abalone rosette and inlay
Bone nut and saddle
And on and on and on...

I can hardly wait!

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: