Pages: [1] 2 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's With The Taylor Bashing?  (Read 44483 times)
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2004, 04:24:45 PM »

For a most civilized board, I have seen a fair number of posts lately which seem to slam Taylors. Now I don't own a Taylor, never have and really have no interest in doing so. However, I recognize them as a quality guitar which is certainly capable of giving me a fair amount of GAS and musicians who are far ahead of me on the talent scale seem to love them.

Insulting someone's guitar can be like someone insulting their mother, wife or child (or dog). They take it very personal. We all like Larrivees. Most of us either own one or more or shortly will. The quality and value of a Larrivee guitar speaks for itself. It doesn't need to be hoisted on the slam of another brand. It is certainly possible to love a Larrivee and also enjoy the companionship of a Taylor, a Martin, a Mossman (!) and yes, Tom, even a Goodall. A guitar may appreciate fidelity but it does not demand monogamy.

Just my 2¢. I'll get off my soap box now. Everyone please join hands for a chorus of Kum-by-yah.

Don

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »

Taylor bashing is so common on other boards, except the Taylor forum, that I think most people take it for granted or do it out of habit only.  Come to think of it, there was a fair amount of Taylor bashing on the Taylor forum over the new Expression pickup system.  I think its one reason that its not longer called the Taylor forum.

E. Shoaf
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 07:34:23 PM »

Taylor makes a good product.

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
philster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »

My favorite complaint about Taylors was in a guide book for acoustic guitars.  Rearrange the words describing the book for the book title :D  

Anyway he basically said that Taylors sound like guitars sound on albums after an engineer gets done doing his mojo.  In other words they suck because they sound just like guitars on slick albums sound.  Hunh????  Most people get started on guitar because they like the music they hear on pop albums, but a guitar that sounds like that out of the box is bad?  This was just one of the absolutely goofy things the guy said.  The subtitle of the book should have been, "If it isn't a Pre-War martin you are a bad person"

Now I will agree that the Taylor sound MAY not be the best choice for the music of your choice, but for 99% of the guitar buyers out there, they just might be.  

My only complaint with Taylor is the neck, not the bolt on part, but the cut and glue part.  Then again, that approach lets them use less mahogany, so even if I don't like the approach, I have to applaud the results...

Drive what you want, the sound you are after isn't in the guitar anyway.

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 08:25:08 PM »

My only complaint with Taylor is the neck, not the bolt on part, but the cut and glue part.  Then again, that approach lets them use less mahogany, so even if I don't like the approach, I have to applaud the results...

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't like about my Taylor 710, the "Frankenstein" headstock... :o

Although, I have seen some that did not look as bad as mine.

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
play4him

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 09:18:12 PM »

Well, all I can say is that I had two wonderful Taylors. I had a K20C & 600 SPEC. Both of these guitars were excellent players with excellent tone. I have nothing bad to say about Taylors.
  The only reason I sold them was to pay some things off. My own family hated to see them go, but I felt it was the right thing to do.  

play4Him

( @ )===:::
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 12:23:53 AM »

I would have had a lovely 412M, but the shop which had it (used) was asking several hundred dollars over what would be a reasonable price for that guitar. Even at that, it was a difficult decision not to buy it, and I still wonder if I did the right thing, even though I love my OM-09. I don't like the Big Baby, but it is what it is, and it does play easily. I think they make a good guitar, and some of the best players play them.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
philster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 12:34:18 AM »

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't like about my Taylor 710, the "Frankenstein" headstock... :o

Although, I have seen some that did not look as bad as mine. [/quote]
 Yeah, I hear you.  I had a '94 555, which is in the one piece carved neck era.  Great guitar.  I'm not a big GAS kinda guy, unless I eat a roasted garlic and sausage pizza anyway, so when I have a guitar that gives me the sound I like I don't look around, and I don't keep up with "technology".  

Imagine my surprise when I started looking for a guitar to flatpick and I see the taylor fingergrooved neck, and glued on ears!  Like I said, in a world of scarce resources I applaud anything that conserves tropical woods, but it was shocking to see.

I figure it will be at least 10 years before I have finished exploring the tones of my SD-50.  Who knows what changes I'll find when I start feeling around to replace my OM in 2014 :D  

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 12:43:44 AM »

I for one thought that this board was above other brand bashing.  I have a Taylor and absolutely love it.  It is my favorite guitar and I chose it over Martin and, yes, Larrivee 8 years ago.  I have yet to find it's equal in any brand...according to my tastes.

I would expect folks on a Larrivee forum to prefer Larrivee, and that's all it is, a preference.  Just as folks on the Taylor forum prefer Taylors..  It's only natural to defend your purchasing decision.  But how you do it is another thing...

I've learned a lot from you folks here and look forward to owning my first Larrivee.

However, the recent Taylor bashing comments really check my heart when I come here and I must say that it is a disappointment.  It is starting to remind me of another forum less the foul language.

If Taylors, Martins, etc are so bad, how come they outsell Larrivee?  Why do so many big names play them?  Are we all uneducated novices when it comes to playability and tone?  Because that's how you make some of us feel.

I was really drawn to this board for it's objectivity and credible experienced members.  Why can't we keep it at that?

Mike <><
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:48:06 AM »

I've owned Taylors, Gibbys, Martins, Larrivees, and now Goodalls. You know what? I've loved them all.
Thanks for not bashing.

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 12:59:28 AM »

Who could hate a face like that??? afro  :P  afro  

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 02:09:10 AM »

OH MY GOD.....I look like Uncle Bob.

mjvincent

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 02:53:52 AM »

I think bashing any instrument without legitimate cause is uncalled for.  One thing that would be understandable would be to relate personal experiences with a product or a company.  Anything else shouldn't be treated with credibility.  

My 2 cents...

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 03:27:43 AM »

I thought that the letter Dave posted (and later removed) was a good example of differentiating and explaining why the writer preferred Larrivees. Some took it as an indictment of Taylors which it obviously wasn't.

Intelligent discussion rarely hurts regardless of viewpoints.

Don

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 04:08:09 AM »

I thought that the letter Dave posted (and later removed) was a good example of differentiating and explaining why the writer preferred Larrivees. Some took it as an indictment of Taylors which it obviously wasn't.

Intelligent discussion rarely hurts regardless of viewpoints.

Don
"obviously" Don....not very.  If it were obvious, there wouldn't be this much back-lash.  It was not a differentiating letter, let alone an intelligent one at that.  Try to recall the language he chose, it was a slam and should not have been posted.

The writer could have phrased it more diplomatically.  Something like, "Taylor tops are a bit too thin for my tastes and I prefer Larrivee's approach to aging their wood".  Not the inflamatory accusations about artificial aging and such.  

In any event, I think it's time to put this one to bed and carry on with positive discussions.

Mike <><
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 11:53:26 AM »

In any event, I think it's time to put this one to bed and carry on with positive discussions.
Amen

LittleBrother

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »

:blink: Yawn  

Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 02:35:20 PM »

Kum-by-a my Lord, Kum-by-ah...

(p.s. He who throws mud at the fan...)

naboz...

... :unsure:  
rwhitted

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 04:26:46 PM »

If Taylors, Martins, etc are so bad, how come they outsell Larrivee? Why do so many big names play them?

It's the marketing, which is excellent. And part of why Taylor bashing happens. Those who aren't hearing something good are hearing something really not good, and wondering what all the hype is about. I don't know if it justifies "bashing" when all someone would really need to say is "I just don't hear it." But with the barrage of marketing saying how great they are, and the experience not matching the marketing, it's human nature to bite back a bit.

I also haven't heard, in person, a Goodall I like, but I'm not about to say anything bad about them because lots of people I respect play them. And, then again, I don't see Goodall groupies in stores acting like the guitars are God's gift to man. There have also been a few Larrivee's that made me shudder and put it right back.

I just think the bashing is in response to the very powerful marketing, which is excellent, and honestly does a great deal to propel the acoustic guitar market in general.

But that's just me. :)  

Larrivee C-05
Larrivee 00-05
Warren White 1967 Brazilian classical
1972 Mahogany classical built by my Grandpa!
Martin Backpacker
rwhitted

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 04:31:45 PM »

OK, now it can go to bed.  :unsure:  

Larrivee C-05
Larrivee 00-05
Warren White 1967 Brazilian classical
1972 Mahogany classical built by my Grandpa!
Martin Backpacker
Pages: [1] 2 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: