Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amp Recomendations / Anyone played through Genz Benz 150LT?  (Read 2453 times)
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:42:47 AM »

I'm staring my search for a new amp. My last one died on stage last weekend. Landed with a thud when the kick back took a vacation and I'm afraid it was terminal.

Looking at the various options, I came across a somewhat new model from Genz Benz called the 150LT. I'm intrigued by the light weight, compared to the Shenandoah 100 (47 lbs) the 27 lbs it weighs is significantly attractive. The only drawback I see is that it is rear bass ported. Not the ideal situation for using as a stage monitor, but I might be able to plug it.

Anyone seen, heard, played through one???

My needs: Primary playing is Church Service. Congregation of 2000 and I'm keeping up with two electrics, a piano, a keyboard, and singers. At practice (not held in the auditorium) it is my primary monitor. On Sunday I depend on it for my own sound since I don't like to play the "I can't hear me, make me louder" game with the sound board guy. Direct out is a definite plus - but I have a DOD DI box that does the trick too.

Other recommendations considered. Thanks! Looking at:
UltraSound CP-100
      Comment: Nice, but expensive
UltraSound Pro 100
      Comment: Really nice, but really expensive
Shenandoah 100
      Comment:  Looks like it would fit the bill, but fairly heavy.
decided against:
Crate 125
     Comment: Reviews all comment on hiss and hum
Behringer ACX1800
      Comment: Reviews comment on low overall volume

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »

If you are not limiting yourself to just those mentioned, I recommend you try a Fishman. Very clean and natural.
If you look around, you can find barely used original Loudbox amps (250 watt, one input, sweet spring reverb) for
very cheap because of people trading to the later released Performer series. These can really be pushed, with a lot of headroom before feedback.
I believe the fact that the bass, mid, and treb speakers all have separate power (tri-amped) has something to do with it. Good luck!
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I'm not limiting myself to what I mentioned. I just wanted to give a background of what I have looked at and comments on them so others (like you) could open my eyes to options.

I just took a look at a 250w Fishman Loudbox. It looks like it would be perfect except I need two channels. I play both an acoustic and an electric. If I have to run two different amps, I will. But, I would really (read that really, really, really...) like to cut down on gear wherever possible. I know I am compromising a bit on true electric tone by not over driving a tube amp, but I'm not doing a lot of fill work, just some basic rhythm back up on songs where an acoustic is not needed and an electric is.
Thanks for the heads up though . It looks like the newer Performer series can now be considered since they added a second channel. Time to find some reviews...

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

Wow - after looking at the Fishman Loudbox, it looks like either the Loudbox 100 or the Loudbox Performer would well. Seems like the owners that reviewed them love them. Any here played through either of the new Loudbox offerings? The Performer is tri-amped (80,20,10) with two 6.5 woofers and the 100 is bi-amped (90,10) with an 8.

Thinking to myself:
Genz Benz 100 is definitely the value for the money if the sound is good
Genz Benz 150LT might be worth the extra if the 27 lb weight doesn't mean "built out of cardboard"
Fishman Loudbox - bouncing around the same costs - looks value-wise similar and is bi or tri amped
Ultrasound - Reputation, reputation, reputation... but for the cost of the unit can get the next better unit of the other two

Help?

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:58:53 AM »

Thanks to all who have responded privately.

Let me add a couple items I'm not sure I covered. Although I'm direct out on Sunday's, during practice we do not use the auditorium and I need enough volume to compete with the rest of the band. Which is why I was looking at the higher wattage amplifiers.

I know that my acoustic doesn't sound good in an electric amp. I also know that the electric guitar would sound better in a non-acoustic amp. But, if I can come up with an acceptable electric sound through the acoustic amp through the use of effects, I would rather not use two amps. (Feel free to berate, point and laugh, then tell me to get two amps here if you think I am dreaming.)

Main concern is driving the electric guitar using distortion pedals and having it pooch up my nice acoustic amp and, after spending all the money, not having anything that is good for either. Thanks again for all the opinions...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: