Pickup for a 12 fret Forum Guitar

Started by ttchen, May 02, 2007, 10:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will K&K Pure Western Mini Pickup work?  Thanks for the help.
Larrivee 12 Fret OM-03 Forum Guitar
Walden T550 Travel Guitar
Psalms 96 "For the LORD is great, greatly to be praised"

I had a conversation with myself on the same topic in this "thread" : http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=15124.0.

I don't think the K&K Pure Western Mini will fit, at least not in the conventional manner, because the bridge is very close to the edge of the bridgeplate. I was kicking around some other K&K ideas. Christy at K&K said she was going to forward my note to their technical guy, and that was the last I ever heard of it.

I've been told that an I-Beam "should" fit, but after taking the strings off and probing around a bit, I don't think it will.

There is plenty of room behind the bridge pins or at each end of the saddle, but it would take some experimenting to figure out if any of those locations will work.

Check out the link (in the other thread) to Little Brother's photo of the Pete Anderson bracing. The Forum bracing (including the bridge placement) seems to be the same.

Thanks for the link and the info.  So it seems like the K&K is not the right pickup.  That's too bad because it is the most economical and easy to install pickup. 
Now, I am looking into D-TAR Wavelength pickup.  Anyone has any experience with it?

I will check into it also.  Just want to make sure there's enough room for the pickup.

The bridgeplate is longer than normal, and there is more room behind the bridge pins (toward the tail) than normal. So, there's quite a bit of room; it's just not in the normal place  :smile: The trick is going to be figuring out an alternate location that will still sound good. The K&K may still work if we can figure out where to put them.

I wonder if anyone else has tried using K&K pickups or other pickups with success.

I'm not exactly sure why the mini would not fit on the bridgeplate, but there are alternate means of placement. If a photo could be emailed directly to K&K I would be happy to help with this question. Sgarnett, if you could re-send your inquiry I will make sure you receive a response.
Best,
Christy

Christy, thanks for your help.  If the K&K Mini will work, I definitely will get one.   Will wait for your response.

Quote from: ttchen on May 02, 2007, 11:11:32 PM
Now, I am looking into D-TAR Wavelength pickup.  Anyone has any experience with it?
I have a D-TAR Wavelength on a Collings Dread.  I prefer the K&K, but for an undersaddle pickup it is REALLY good.  No quack in the least, excellent tone, easy to EQ.

If the K&K doesn't work out, the D-Tar is an excellent UST.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Thanks for the recommendation.  The Wavelength is my backup choice right now.
According to this link http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/Ebay/pete/Larrivee-om03pa-bracing.jpg , even though the saddle sits right on the edge of the bridge plate, there's room between the plate and the horizontal brace near the soundhole.  I should be able to place the transducers on the soundboard.  Christy has offered her help to find out.  I sent her the link and another pic of the top bracing.  Hopefully she can find the answer.
Thanks for all your help.

Just a praise for K&K's customer serice.  Kristy from K&K already had exchanged about 3 emails with me regarding this pickup issue.  She directed my question to Dieter who replied to my question a little while ago.  I am impressed.

With Dieter's help, I am going with K&K Mini. 

Here's Dieter's reply:

This is an interesting photo! Yes, I would place the pickups in front of the
bridgeplate as you suggested so that the edge of the pickups is actually touching
the bridgeplate. Like this the bridgeplate makes a nice installation guide too.
You should use the old fashion "mirror method - look through the pinholes and
have a flashlight/mirror setup inside the guitar" while you are doing it. The
new jig installation technique will not be the best solution for this particular
application.

And set the high e sting pickup right under the high e string instead between
the b and e string (contrary to the instructions).

This should work beautifully, we did a similar procedure before on other guitars
with extremely small bridgeplates and it came out just fine.

I have an iBeam in Pete. I'm quite pleased with it.

Deb

Ordered the pickup from Shoreline Thurs night.  The pickup arrived today and was installed into the guitar.  The sound is natural and acoustic sounding through the amp.  I am very happy with it.

Glad you like it, ttchen. 
www.davidberchtold.com

Thanks, I do.  But now I have to find a way to get the super glue off my fingers.

Don't worry about the glue.  It'll wear off in a year or two.   :winkin:
www.davidberchtold.com