Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting the neck was not nearly as scary...  (Read 1293 times)
Andyroo

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

...as I thought it would be.  I must admit, I've been a little gun shy to use "the tool".  Normally, I love to tweak on my friends.

I just changed strings on my new L-03R, not sure what they had on it,but I assumed they were the Cleartones lights.  I ended up putting on some D'addario EXP lights....12's.  My relief went down to zip, so I pulled out the old allen wrench...no, wait a minute...it's a strange looking thing for sure!  Anyway, fit right in, torqued it about a 1/4 turn, and voila!  Easy as pie.  Never will I fear the Larrivee truss rod. 

~droo 

Larrivee L-03R
Takamine F349
......some electrics!
Sap Hog

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:01:51 PM »

You're a braver man than I    My hand would be shaking so hard I would probably scratch the top trying to get it in the hole  crying

SH

2006 D-03SPE-DS (NAMM)
2004 Ibanez SRX300 bass
Andyroo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »

Naw, you could do it, use the force

whistling

droo

Larrivee L-03R
Takamine F349
......some electrics!
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »

I agree! After I decided that I wanted to go back to lights from mediums on my new D-10, I noticed the neck needed some adjusting.  At first I thought the truss rod system was a a real pain in the neck  bigrin, but after a few tries and you get used to it, it really works well.  Back to perfect relief! 
walt33

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »

Which way do you turn it?

Walt33

OM-03 spruce 'n' hog
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »

Righty Tighty (more relief)  Lefty Loosey (less relief)

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »

Which way do you turn it?

Clockwise...had to tighten her up just a bit
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:33:52 PM »

Blasters,

I also have a D10.  I do prefer mediums.  I feel that the action is just a tad too high.  Is that why you adjusted the truss?
Which way should I turn it to lower action a bit?  I want less relief, correct?

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »

Blasters,

I also have a D10.  I do prefer mediums.  I feel that the action is just a tad too high.  Is that why you adjusted the truss?
Which way should I turn it to lower action a bit?  I want less relief, correct?

Well, a couple of things. 

When I received my new D-10 in March, I was anticipating that I would have to have it set-up to my liking, I just wasn't sure if I would stay with lights or go to mediums.  I did think the action was higher than I liked it at that point. Didn't like the mediums, so I switched back to lights.  Luckily, a mile from me is a very respected guitar shop, which I intended to take my D-10 to; I just had to get off my arse and do it.  Plus, I liked the guitar so much, I didn't feel like parting with it for a couple of weeks! So, on Wednesday, I bit the bullet, and took it to the shp, and he agreed the action was a bit high, which I guess is pretty typical of new guitars. He's going to lower the nut and saddle.  I took my Taylor there too (after 3 years!), and he's going to do the same thing.  Looks like I'll be playing my Larry parlor for 2 weeks, but that's OK!  I'll miss them both, though!

I adjusted the truss because the neck was bowed forward a bit after I took off the mediums.  I tightened a tad (clockwise)just to straightened out the neck. which it did do, and really didn't effect the action too much.  I always thought truss rod adjustment was more to adjust relief, and any effect on action is really minimal, especially if your action is extremelly high. If you want proper action, you need proper set-up, unless I'm wrong.  It may serve you well to do that.

Andyroo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »

I don't know if I could turn in my L for two weeks just yet   crying  Plus, there's no reason to at this point!
I suppose I'm lucky that I loved the feel from the start.  As long as things don't change drastically, I'm happy with the action of this one fer sure. 

My shop is such a double edged sword.  I have always taken my instruments to the same place, they are a great shop.  But two weeks without is always a bummer.  I just got back a Strat I had taken in for a new nut.  At this point, I'm glad I did it because it feels great, but I missed it for them two weeks.  It was nice to gig another guitar for a while, however.  Happy Saturday 

~droo

Larrivee L-03R
Takamine F349
......some electrics!
Big Eric

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 08:54:59 PM »

Just had to slightly loosen the truss rod in my L-03 today.  Was getting some serious buzz when bashing out chords at the old-time jam this morning.  Looks like just a little relief is all the neck needed.

Even with the special tool it isn't that easy for me to adjust the Larrivee.  Not as bad as a Gallagher or Santa Cruz.  But not as simple as a Gibson.

Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: