Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for portable multitrack suggestions  (Read 2071 times)
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »

Does anyone here ever do any live performance recording?

I want to record some live performances and I'm looking for suggestions on equipment. I'm basically looking for something fairly simple, it's only acoustic and voice, every once in a while it's two acoustics and two voices.

Digital or analog, I don't have a preference. Just anything you have used that you liked. I'm looking for ease of setup.

Thanks,
-Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:07:08 PM »

I want to record some live performances and I'm looking for suggestions on equipment. I'm basically looking for something fairly simple, it's only acoustic and voice, every once in a while it's two acoustics and two voices.

Digital or analog, I don't have a preference. Just anything you have used that you liked. I'm looking for ease of setup.

Thanks,
-Aaron

Aaron, I recently purchased a Zoom H4:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901

This little unit is awesome.  Two built in condenser mics or you can plug in one of your own and/or your guitar.  You can do 4 track (one track at a time only) or straight stereo, mic modeling, built in compressor/limiter, USB out for downloading to your computer, records in WAV or MP3...etc.  Really nice and I paid $300 on Ebay and it came with free shipping, 2 Whirlwind cables, the AC adapter, photo tripod adapter...records nice and clean.  Comes bundles with Cubase LE software too.  It's about the same size as a Blackberry...Boss makes something similar as well but this one is a blast to use. 

I'm still playing with it but here's a short rag I recorded using the H4 and the all mahogany parlor:

http://media.putfile.com/Katz-Rag

aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

I think that's all I need to hear. I'm sold. Sounds perfect.

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 05:08:05 PM »

I brought it to the open mic I go to every Monday night with the intention of recording myself but didn't actually set it up.  This Monday, I'm going to make more of an effort.  I'll try to edit and post some of it next week.

aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »

Yeah, definitely do that. I'm looking forward to hearing it, thanks Denis.

maxferry

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 05:38:09 PM »

That Zoom H4 looks like a great little unit. I just found it at this outfit for $238.99 usd. There was an additional 14.95 for shipping so the total is 253.94.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Zoom-H4-4-Track-Digital-Handy-Recorder-1008159~.html?sid=961msnikxlv337w

I had seen these around but hadn't checked into them much. I currently have the Zoom PS04, which is a pretty decent little unit, selling for under 200. It has a single condenser on board. Unfortunately it lacks the USB interface and is limited in terms of storage, since it can only take up to 128m SD cards.
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »

Yeah, I looked at the PS series on ebay. Affordable, but there's too many features I'd never use. Good job on the link Max, that's the lowest price I've seen. It seems like the best product for people like me, who want to record stuff anytime, without having to do major setup and teardown, still with good sound quality.

imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »

Thanks,
-Aaron

I see frequent reviews of such gears in magazines I get at the library. In my area you can see the contents of the issues on line and request copies that are not even at one's local branch and I think that's the case in most of the US states that are not too bass ackwards.

There are also web sites with good info such as discussion forums for software products, and sites on recording.
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 05:52:03 PM »

That Zoom H4 looks like a great little unit.

Does anyone have experience of the Edirol R09, or comparison with, which is a similar unit if very slightly more expensive ?  There was a review in one of the magazines last month but as always they barely scratch the surface.

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
Jetstar7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:46:01 AM »

I have a PS-04. But would like me some H4 love as well. As an upgrade and for an extra audio interface. Plus it uses SD cards, so that's great.

L-03RE (2005)
P-09M  (24th December 2006)
SD-50  (7th May 2007)
RS-4    (15th October 2009)
t2cycling

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 05:52:53 AM »

I have found Sound Professionals to have good prices and service.  They also have decent reviews and sound comparison samples on their website.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=0  They have sold the H4 at a decent price but are temporarily out stock according to their website.
gary0319

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »

Hi, Noob here.

Just wanted tp mention that I just purchased the Edirol R09 and have used it in a few practice sessions with great results. I looked at the H4 but the user interface was way to complicated for me (and I'm a computer professional) The R09 is as easy to use as an I Pod. Hit the record button twice and away you go. Some folks don't like Roland products, but I have an Edirol UA 101 for my recording interface and it works perfectly. Edirol is batting 1000 in my house.

Just my couple of pennies...

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: