Should I get a setup?

Started by Wondermutt, April 11, 2007, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received my OM-03MQ a couple weeks ago from GA.  This is my first steel string and my main guitar is my Yamaha classical. While my hands are still getting used to the stiffer strings, I was wondering if a set up is needed.  The action "seems" about right but was wondering if there are any other parts to a setup beside action adjustments.  I have a bone saddle from Bob Colosi that I want to install and was planning on doing it myself when I change the strings for the first time.  Maybe I should let the tech do it while doing the setup?

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee OM-03MQ

:niceguitar: :niceguitar:

I say when in doubt get a set up...I had one done on my OM-05MT from Dave and afterword it played so much better!!!!  And if you are installing a new saddle its the perfect time to do it.

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I'm a *big* believer in getting a set-up from someone who knows that they are doing. Makes a huge difference in playability. Best money you'll ever spend (and they generally don't cost much either).

--Lee

:+1:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

What exactly is there to get set up?? I guess I don't understand, because my LV-09E plays great?? Explain please?

A full setup can include a lot of small things that add up to much improved playability. Some guitars need a lot of small adjustments. Some need hardly any at all.  It might include filing down and dressing any high frets, dressing fret ends,  adjusting the truss rod to set proper relief in the neck, setting proper string height at the nut and releiving any binding from tight slots, and either bringing down the saddle or replacing it to raise the action to the preferred clearance at the 12th fret and a check of intonation.  Also a check of the tuners for any loose hardware. If you want to read up a bit you might check out frets.com. Frank Ford has a wealth of info on the subject there.