Music by John Fahey

Started by hal537, April 10, 2007, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone advise what CD's by Fahey I should start listening to as I've probably heard a lot of his stuff done by other artists but I feel I should start listening to the source of much inspiration.

Thanks hal
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb

My favorite JF tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TPtvwTmjA

Many like Blind Joe Death.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

What a great youtube clip.

Thank you ElJefe
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb

The Best of John Fahey 1959-1977  gets you 18 tunes on one CD.
I enjoyed this youtube video, also. A more judicious use of effects is presented on this youtube recording here. Fahey had a tendency to crank up the reverb on his studio recordings, beyond the point of "usual and ordinary" (although I am aware that it is blasphemous to criticize anything the master did...)
[reaches for kevlar & heat shield]

Thanks Queequeg I'll try that CD.
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb

JF also had a wonderful Christmas fingerstyle CD.  A lot of the songs are covered in a tab book that was sold seperately.  Not sure if either is still available. It has one of the coolest arrangements of Skater's Waltz I've ever heard.  And many other great, yet accessible, tunes. 
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: dberch on April 11, 2007, 01:13:31 PM
JF also had a wonderful Christmas fingerstyle CD.  A lot of the songs are covered in a tab book that was sold seperately.  Not sure if either is still available. It has one of the coolest arrangements of Skater's Waltz I've ever heard.  And many other great, yet accessible, tunes. 
You're talking about Popular Songs of Christmas and New Years. http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Songs-Christmas-New-Years/dp/B0000003OK/ref=pd_sim_m_7/002-9464682-1125651?ie=UTF8&qid=1176315647&sr=8-8

Fahey did a number of Christmas music collections.
My favorite is "The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album " http://www.amazon.com/New-Possibility-Faheys-Guitar-Christmas/dp/B00004W579/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_a/002-9464682-1125651?ie=UTF8&qid=1176315647&sr=8-8

Quote from: hal537 on April 10, 2007, 06:25:59 PM
Can anyone advise what CD's by Fahey I should start listening to as I've probably heard a lot of his stuff done by other artists but I feel I should start listening to the source of much inspiration.

Thanks hal

i got the Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death.

lots of classics on this one, like late 60s i think. this is the music thatwould ahve inspired kottke, etc.
Woody

2006 L-03-WL
1963 Martin 0-16NY(wife's)

Thanks to all - I'll check out all these suggestions.
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb

John Fahey an anthology. I will have to dig to find it but it has a ton of music on it. I think Amazon has it for around thirty bucks. Seems like a lot of cash but it has A LOT of music on it covering many years.
Larrivee OM-03BW
Martin D-41 Special
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Fender Jimmie Vaughan strat
Recording King RK-80 Banjo
Mid seventies Marshall amps
Peavey 5150

I'm busy listening to a ton of great music - thanks to all for the suggestions.

I've also learnt to play "In Christ There Is No East Or West" and "Spanish Two Step" and intend to go for a few more.
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb

"In Christ There is No East or West" is a great tune to know.  I've got an instructional DVD that includes a segment from John where he says something like: "It's a pretty easy tune to play, and it always impresses people."
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Another fun tune is

When the Catfish Is In Bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iip-1p3XYFU

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

I love Kottkes version of in christ there is no east or west. His 12 sounds amazing on that song also. Beautifull.
Larrivee OM-03BW
Martin D-41 Special
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Fender Jimmie Vaughan strat
Recording King RK-80 Banjo
Mid seventies Marshall amps
Peavey 5150

Quote from: Tycho on May 07, 2007, 05:49:25 PM
"In Christ There is No East or West" is a great tune to know.  I've got an instructional DVD that includes a segment from John where he says something like: "It's a pretty easy tune to play, and it always impresses people."

Yes I agree it's not difficult and sounds more complex than it is, although if you can transition from the slow part to the ragtimey bit smoothly and without pulling a clam as they say, you know you're no longer a beginner, that's for sure.

El Jefe - Catfish is an interesting tune I'd not heard before (it doen't appear in the "best of etc". Thanks for the link.  BTW as Grand Vizier of the 5FC are you actually allowed to even listen to tunes which go beyond the 5th?  Maybe we can continue this one in the appropriate thread - see you there.  :wink:

Quote from: jessz1 on May 07, 2007, 10:08:29 PM
I love Kottkes version of in christ there is no east or west. His 12 sounds amazing on that song also. Beautifull.

He does sound impressive although how much is due to the electronic processing I don't know.  I read that he tunes his 12 down to a C/C# and that may also explain his very full sound.

I'd love a twelve myself and am sort of vaguely looking out for an L bodied 12.  If custom shop were open I day dream about ordering an all mahogany L twelve.
Andy Perkins banjo
Epiphone Bluesmaster Sb
Gold Tone PBR Deluxe
Larrivee SD-50 MT TSb