What I like best about Larrivee....

Started by woodruff, April 10, 2007, 01:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am a recent convert to Larrivee from Martin, Taylor and Gibson GAS, etc.....
i spend a lot of time at work on the AGF and in here, but i have been on the AGF for a while now.

the best thing about my recent larrivee conversion is that i now find the Taylor vs Martin vs Gibson threads and arguements and debates hysterical. For I feel I have discovered some secret in the acoustic guitar world, and it is called Larrivee. and for a lot less money, i can be just as happy, but now i have peace in my mind. anyone understand what i ahve found?

cheers! :nana_guitar
Woody

2006 L-03-WL
1963 Martin 0-16NY(wife's)

What I like best about Larrivée ... is the fact that they built my L-03.

If I had custom designed my guitar and passed those specs on to Jean Larrivée, the guitar that I would have ended up with is EXACTLY the guitar ... a Larrivée L-03 ... that I now have.

I am very content.  My search is over.     :bgrin:
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

I hear ya...I had the chance to play a couple of fancy gibbi....taylors...and american built Guilds to day....then I went home and picked up my OM-05 and it blew them all away...even the ones that cost more than twice as much!!!

Larrivee's rule!!!

:cheers

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

The thing I like, though I don't own one - yet - is the tone you get for a very reasonable price (particularly the -03 models).  They are priced below where they probably should be for what you get.

Quote from: woodruff on April 10, 2007, 01:41:22 PM
the best thing about my recent larrivee conversion is that i now find the Taylor vs Martin vs Gibson threads and arguements and debates hysterical.

I never quite understood the debates either; sound and playability is so subjective that it's like arguing whether vanilla or chocolate is better.  Whether it's a $4000 boutique or a $400 Seagull, if you love the sound and playability, it doesn't matter what you play.  But be careful not to add "Larrivee" to the list of "my guitar's better than your guitar".

Quote from: cjjtulsa on April 10, 2007, 03:48:59 PM

But be careful not to add "Larrivee" to the list of "my guitar's better than your guitar".

oops, too late!!! how bout i qualify it that "for the money and what i get for that money(03 series fo course), I am a genius and well, you are not......do ya think that will go well over there?

hehehehehe
Woody

2006 L-03-WL

Quote from: woodruff on April 10, 2007, 04:09:05 PM
oops, too late!!! how bout i qualify it that "for the money and what i get for that money(03 series fo course), I am a genius and well, you are not......do ya think that will go well over there?

hehehehehe

You could give it a try.  I guess it would depend whether or not one is happy with a particular sound and playability for the money.  If you aren't happy with a certain type of tone, then a cheap price isn't really a bargain; it's just settling.  If you do like a certain tone, then there's no point in spending two or three (or four) grand to get what you can get at an even thousand.  That's insanity. 

Quote from: cjjtulsa on April 10, 2007, 04:43:58 PM
You could give it a try.  I guess it would depend whether or not one is happy with a particular sound and playability for the money.  If you aren't happy with a certain type of tone, then a cheap price isn't really a bargain; it's just settling.  If you do like a certain tone, then there's no point in spending two or three (or four) grand to get what you can get at an even thousand.  That's insanity. 

i am just kidding cj, i would never try to make someone feel bad for spending a lot of money on a guitar i think oen could get withthe larrivee 03 series. i am just glad for my epiphany re larrivees and their 03 line....sweet!
Woody

2006 L-03-WL

Quote from: woodruff on April 10, 2007, 04:53:58 PM
i am just kidding cj, i would never try to make someone feel bad for spending a lot of money on a guitar i think oen could get withthe larrivee 03 series. i am just glad for my epiphany re larrivees and their 03 line....sweet!

I know.... I share your enthusiasm.  I'll join you with a Larry one of these days, but right now I'll have to settle for my snobby, overpriced Taylor. :roll

All I know is that I played a Taylor 810 for 2 years, and never felt that good connection we all like to have with our guitars.  The 810 was so heavy and stiff, it felt like I had a slab of concrete in my hands.  This not a rip on Taylor here, just my opinion of one particular guitar.  I love my Taylor 814, and wouldn't part with it for the world.

My new Larrivee D-10, now that I've had it for a while really fits the bill for me in so many ways.  It sounds great, it's nice and light, I just love the tone.  Without a doubt, it's the best guitar I've ever owned.

Quote from: BlastersFan55 on April 11, 2007, 07:40:19 AM
All I know is that I played a Taylor 810 for 2 years, and never felt that good connection we all like to have with our guitars.  The 810 was so heavy and stiff, it felt like I had a slab of concrete in my hands.  This not a rip on Taylor here, just my opinion of one particular guitar.  I love my Taylor 814, and wouldn't part with it for the world.

My new Larrivee D-10, now that I've had it for a while really fits the bill for me in so many ways.  It sounds great, it's nice and light, I just love the tone.  Without a doubt, it's the best guitar I've ever owned.

yeah the d-10 sounds nice. and those 814s are sweet guitars, whoever owns one is always raving....good combo to have i think!
Woody

2006 L-03-WL

Cheers for Larrivee guitars! Yeehaw!  :nanadance
Guitars...
Kronbauer Baritone MJ, Morgan 00, Larrivee OM5, Dell Arte Homage Selmer style guitar, Melancon P-90 Artist, Fender '52 Reissue Tele and more... I've got awful GAS
Mike
www.myspace.com/thegadjoplayers

I think we can all agree that not many guitars can touch the 03 series at its price point (aside form the Chinese made ones), but the more expensive Taylors do have their places. I went for the 510ce when compared it against the L09E. But I like verity of guitars, and am glad that there are all these options, for whatever floats our individual boats.

Woody: glad you found your "soul mate" guitar!

I too like the 0-3 models. I own a L and an OM-R. I love the satin finish. I am especially happy with the maple body bindings, bound neck, 1.75 nut width. The newer OM model has a great pickguard. I love the sound of both guitars. They are very playable. There is no downside.

I like my Larry too , but in all honesty i love every guitar i own  -  and ive owned some fantastic guitars and I cannot say to many bad things about them - they are all different - but a few stand out in my mind - i'll let you know how my larry stacks up after ive had it for 20-30 years -- every guitar of mine has to prove itself --  :wave

This week I played a new Guild D40 "Bluegrass Jubilee" and really liked the open sound it made.  The red spruce top (looked like Adi...) and glossy mahagony b/s/neck were great looking.  Forward shifted scalloped bracing in the manner of early Guilds and of course pre-war Martins.  I got to thinking of how another guitar might be nice...

Then I picked up a new Larrivee D-05, also in the high-end room, priced about the same, and immediately noticed the superior string separation and smoother sound, along with a nice bass thump.  Something about the Larrivee D's.

Back home I picked up and played the SD-50 and realized right away that I don't need to buy another guitar any time soon. 

However, that Bourgeous 150 Brazilian for something over $6k was pretty nice... :whistling:
Play it daily for best results.