Tony Rice Bluegrass Guitar Collection

Started by philster, May 31, 2004, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just picked this up.  All instrumental.  Have to say, I don't get it.  He is technically perfect.  His tone and articulation are once again perfect.  But maybe it's a problem I have with bluegrass in general, and I will be the first to acknowledge I don't know anything about bluegrass.  There doesn't seem to be any dynamic complexity in the stuff I hear.  No ups and downs.  I love the melodies, and wanted some to try to absorb, and this album has some awesome ones so I'm not dissapointed in the album, but I think music should start with "a-one, a-two, a-one-two-three" not "on your mark, get set, go!"

Not trying to set people off, just looking for opinions, and any recommendations of stuff that may be a little different, especially instrumentals.

Please, don't shoot!
"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho

Well I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this but.....I find that Tony Rice is a technician. A really good one, but I think lacking in emotion.

I agree with both statements.Problem is,that every bluegrass guitar player is trying to sound like him.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Try "Backwaters" and "Church Street Blues" (solo guitar and vocal)  I am not familiar with the collection you are speaking of, but I know one thing is that Tony is not able to sing any more (that would take some of my emotion away)  Back in the day, with Wyatt, the Simpkin bros. and Jimmy Gaudreau, they were the absolutely most entertaining acoustic/grass band out there......another recording to check out is the David Grisman Quintet album from '77 I believe.
And if you don't think he plays with emotion, try "Shenandoah" on the "Unit of Measure" album....very soulful.....
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

I agree with fitness1 about the older Rice stuff.  I really loved his vocals, but sadly he is not able to sing any longer.  I have been a fan of his so long that I have no problem hearing emotion in what he does, but he is so technically perfect that some find it lacks a bit of warmth, I guess.  Check out the earlier stuff with vocals and see if you like him better.  As much as I like him, I get a bit tired of purely instrumental recordings and prefer the variety the vocal recordings had.

LJ

For me, the one of the primary draws of bluegrass is the restrained outpouring of one's emotions.  And the "standard" bluegrass songs that can have so much different interpretation as to how they are played.
I can't listen to too much Tony Rice..... I regard him as a master musician, but I can't listen to him none stop, like I can some other bluegrass artist.
But then again..... I don't think "hip-hop" or  "rap" or the like, is music... at all...  But that's just my ears.. ;)

I think there are different sonic magnets for each of our ears, and we do not all accept the same sound, with the same understanding of what is being performed.

But I am truly grateful that we are a group that can come here and state that we "like" or "dislike" something, with folks that welcome  our views, and are willing to discuss them in such a polite manner.
That's what floats my boat....  :)
Don

Hey all, this is a compilation album of previously released Rounder recordings.  Older and newer stuff, but no vocals.  

Sounds like the folks who really enjoy Tony are experienced bluegrass fans.  As I said in my first post, I would love some recommendations of other artists.  Albums with vocals are cool, as long as the music is at least featured as much as the voice.

Anyone have a favorite Norman Blake album?  I know he's broader than Bluegrass, but I've heard him tear it up despite what he sometimes says about fast playing  B)  
"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho

"I think there are different sonic magnets for each of our ears, and we do not all accept the same sound, with the same understanding of what is being performed."
Imapickin, I agree.  I have come to really appreciate "space" in a guitar piece; between the notes and/or phrases, a personal twist on a run, etc.  I dont have any help for you on the bluegrass front, as I also need more nuance versus speed and technique. Not that I dislike blugrass.
My  magnet leans to the phrasing styles such as Hedges, Metheny, DeGrassi, Crosby & Stills.  I really like some of the (new&not new) names I have been discovering on the compilation discs by Narada and Windham Hill.
Did I hijack this thread?  Honest, officer, it's just my finger in my pocket!

naboz

Well said, naboz...  I have a hard time finding guitar music that I don't like.....  :blink:
I have not seen one of my favorite players....
Acoustic Alchemy....   B)  Anyone else like them?
Don

QuoteWell said, naboz...  I have a hard time finding guitar music that I don't like.....  :blink:
I have not seen one of my favorite players....
Acoustic Alchemy....   B)  Anyone else like them?
Don
Greg Carmichael and Nick Webb....great stuff....I heard that one of them just passed away??   I bought the "Red dust and Spanish Lace album when it first came out and have been enjoying their stuff every since :D  
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Yeah,,, sadly, we lost Nick Webb in 1998.. :(
"Red Dust and Spanish Lace".... good stuff !
They made some great CDs..... (I have them ALL )  :D
 If you haven't already done so, check out "Against the Grain"....  and "Back on the Case".... 2 of my favorite CDs
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...1368130-6059968
You can sample a bit of their CDs.... (but, I bet you will want it.)  ;)
Don

Wow, I didnt know one of them passed?!  I bought their first cd, and have liked all of their creations.
Opens the eyes to the fragility of our tenure here.

naboz

Back to Tony Rice, I have always liked his work. First heard him with JD Crowe's New South with Rickey Skaggs. Fantastic talents. Haven't heard a lot of his newer stuff but the CDs he did with brother Larry, Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen always intrigued me. I've been a big fan of Herb's since his days with the Dillards.

Tony was a student of the late Clarence White and it shows, although I don't think anyone will ever truly compare with Clarence. Anyone who wants to hear how bluegrass guitar should be played, pick up something with Clarence on it. I particularly like the first two albums by Country Gazette with Herb Pedersen singing most of the songs. Clarence sat in on many of the songs. The two are available on one CD but it is an import and may be hard to locate.

Back to Tony, he's a good one. IMHO. ;)

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I enjoy listening to Tony's interpretations of bluegrass standards, as well as the hauntingly beautiful instrumentals he's done, some of which have already been noted.  But for me, Norman Blake and Doc Watson represent the epitome of soulful guitarists.  I have a video of Norman Blake playing with his Rising Fawn Ensemble.  It's mesmerizing.  Forgive the corny expression, but it's poetry in motion, so to speak.

And then there's Doc.  What can you say about Doc.  He's the best there is in my book.  Whether he's fingerpicking a John Hurt tune, or ripping up Salt Creek, he's just hard to beat.  And how about those fills he throws in when playing rhythm?  Unreal.  I was raised on his music, introduced to it when I was 6 or 7 years old.  I saw him play back in the 70's before Merle passed.  How much better can it get?  I can't tell you how happy I am to have had that early exposure to such an amazing musician.

There are many other incredible guitarists out there for sure.  Brian Sutton can surely hold his own.  I like Clay Hess, too.  If you don't know of him, he used to play with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder.  Then there's David Greer - another monster player.  Well, there are too many to list.  But if you are truly interested in learning more about this music, I would recommend checking out a Borders book store.  The one in my area has a great selection of bluegrass and you can listen to alot of it before you purchase it.  Just a thought.  Good luck.

Frank