Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replace 3 frets or have the frets leveled???  (Read 494 times)
pickngrin

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »

When you get grooves in the first 3 frets underneath the B & E strings, whats the best way to repair them, replace or level them all?

Also, should you wait until you get a buzz from the deep grooves or take action before letting them get that worn?    

Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

Don't replace them as you will have to have them dressed down to match the  height of the other frets.Don't wait for the dressing you will get more life out of the frets if you have it done now.Make sure you talk to who ever is going to do the job.You don't want to rip them down and take a lot of the fret away.Just enough to have a clean crown of the fret tops.Make sure that the dressing include a polish.As always if you have any ? call me or PM me.If you can post pix that would be cool.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rcoolz

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »

Hi   I have a couple of mandolins  and a guitar (all 10 to 20 yrs old ) with some fret wear on the first 4 frets .Personally  As long as they play fine I wont mess with them . I would wait till their was a buzz.My 02 cents--- rcoolz

1995  Taylor  810......2012  Taylor  GS Mini......2007  Blueridge  Br 140....F 5 mandolin by K CUller...." Its ALL  about  JESUS  CHRIST "      Ye must be born again
Mike Deane

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »

Don't replace them as you will have to have them dressed down to match the  height of the other frets.Don't wait for the dressing you will get more life out of the frets if you have it done now.Make sure you talk to who ever is going to do the job.You don't want to rip them down and take a lot of the fret away.Just enough to have a clean crown of the fret tops.Make sure that the dressing include a polish.As always if you have any ? call me or PM me.If you can post pix that would be cool.

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: