Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Myrtle guitar tonewood  (Read 1346 times)
scotchtape

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

Has anyone played a guitar with myrtle back and sides? 

What does this sound like?

Thanks
dotpitch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:11:31 PM »

Larry Jacobsen from the AGF and APM Forums owns a Bashkin with an italian spruce top and myrtlewood back & sides that records beautifully:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=253412&songID=3092525

'Course, Larry's an extremely talented guitarist who could probably throw rocks at a guitar and make it sound good... 

If you're on either of those forums, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions about the wood.

You're not, by chance, looking at a myrtle mini jumbo with bloodwood binding, are you?  whistling
dotpitch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »

Ahh! I see that you already posted on the AGF and Larry responded. Funny that he picked the same song link that I did.  bigrin
scotchtape

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »

I could be... haha.  I just graduated so, the almost $3K is a little steep for me...
I'm really looking for a used Thompson with a cutaway, but those are sooo hard to find(!)  I WANT ONE NOW!  Hence the looking at Kronbauers.

I really want a new guitar since all I have is my $800 Tak.  Which I actually like.  No pickguard, very mellow dread, satin finish.  I don't care what anyone says I love my baby anyways.
dotpitch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:59:35 PM »

You can't go wrong with a Kronbauer, tho; Trevor is building some really sweet guitars and despite the recent price hike, is still pricing them lower than most of the other Luthiers. Kenn is also a really easy guy to deal with - I've order my own Kronny through him. You're right about that $3k, tho... that's a serious hit to the wallet!
scotchtape

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »

dang that song is awesome, now i want this guitar!
the only thing is, i really.  can't stand florentine cutaways, i really like the soft venetian curves.  ugh, i don't know what to do... on high end guitars i see many florentine cutaways and less venetians, but maybe that's just me...
dotpitch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

'Pretty clear to me what you should do... avoid this guitar and keep looking. It's a beautiful guitar, but if you dislike the florentine cutaway, you're going to have regrets. When spending that much for a guitar, you shouldn't compromise anything.

I like both the soft venitian and the pointy florentine cutaways as long as there's not too much of a forward hook to either design. Unfortunately, that ends up ruling out most of the florentine cutaways that I've seen, including Kronbauer's. A lot of venetian cutaways have a pretty big forward hook to them as well (like Tacomas) - yuck. Larrivee has a nice look to their venetian cutaways and I *really* like Kronbauer's WIDE florentine cutaway. I don't think he has that *listed* as an option, but it's definitely one of his options.
scotchtape

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:15:17 AM »

but i really really really want a new guitar.  i've had this tack for almost 10 years!  it's my first guitar...
AUGH!#%@$#^#%@@
someone please sell a thompson with a soft cutaway... :(
i'm going to kill myself now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: