Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mediums on my L-05E  (Read 1006 times)
[Fr]AnDo

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »

Hi fellows,

I have several questions concerning strings especially medium strings.
I own an L-05E which is by the way a wonderful guitar.
I gave a try to medium bronze strings (Martin) and I was surprised of the way it gave more tone.
However I found that the sound was brighter with light strings. Maybe I should have tried phos/bronz strings.
By bringing my guitar to the luthier for a set-up stuff he told me that medium gauge could be unsafe, contrary to Larrivée website.
Personnally, I believe that it can handle medium strings. The point is that my it will be set-up with light gauge.
What if I want to string it with medium gauge? Would it need another set-up by the luthier? (I mean a truss-rod adjustement and a lower action)
I'd like to try phos/bronze medium strings, what would you recommend?

Thanks for answering,

Ando

Ando

2006 Larrivée L-05E
sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »

If the guitar is set up for light stings, you can still use mediums but the action will be high and stiff.

If the guitar is set up for medium strings, you might be able to use mediums but it may buzz easily.

If the string slots in the nut are cut for lights, then mediums may bind a little and cause tuning problems.

If the string slots are cut for mediums with a round bottom then lights will still work fine.

If the string slots are cut for mediums with a "V" shaped bottom (as recommended in at least one book I have) then the action may be too low at the nut with lights. It may also cause binding.
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:56 AM »

Chances are you'll just need to 'tweek" the truss rod a bit . . .

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
pierroleloup

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »

salut Ando,

si tu met des medium, l'action sera un peu plus haute.

tu auras probablement juste a tourner le truss rod dans le sens des aiguilles d'une montre. de très peu. pour rabaisser tout ça.

en verifiant que le manche est bien droit et en y allant tout doucement, ça ne pose aucun problèmes.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

Ando, I've got mediums on my L-03 but I'm always tuned down a semitone to Eb.  I think if you want to go to mediums, you might need a truss rod tweak and maybe have the nut slots cut a bit so the trings don't bind and so they aren't too high.

En tous cas, avec les cordes baisser un demi ton, c'est plus facile à chanter!

[Fr]AnDo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:37:46 PM »

Thanks !

I already set up my guitar with medium strings, the only thing I had to do after this was adjusting the truss rod (nothing with the nut).
I don't understand why my luthier said I shouldn't use medium gauge, I'm sure that my L-05E can handle it. He said that it could be dangerous for the neck.
So because of what he said I told him to set-up my guitar for lights, but I'm afraid I would prefer mediums...

Ando

2006 Larrivée L-05E
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »

You're "luthier" is being overly cautious.  Your Larrivee can handle medium strings.

I've had my OM-05 for almost 15 years now, and at least 1/3 of that time I've had medium strings on it (I switch back and forth ALL THE TIME). Just a tweak of the truss rod and it's good to go.  I've never had a problem with strings binding in the nut slots.

And go with some medium phospher bronze strings; you'll love the tone, punch and volume! I like both Martin SP's and D'Addario.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
[Fr]AnDo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »

Thanks for your help.
Excuse me but I don't understand what "strinfs binding in the nut" is.
Does it mean that because the higher gauge, medium strings may not fit the nut as well as lights?
When I set up mediums ont my guitar, I didn't have such a problem...

Ando

2006 Larrivée L-05E
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »

Excuse me but I don't understand what "strinfs binding in the nut" is.
Does it mean that because the higher gauge, medium strings may not fit the nut as well as lights?
When I set up mediums ont my guitar, I didn't have such a problem...

Yes, that's exactly what it means, and No, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: