New Owner with a question

Started by xinsungx, March 26, 2007, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys,

I purchased a D-03R last week and it should be coming in tomorrow if everything goes right. I asked for a K&K Pure Western pickup to be installed on it. I just have one question. Since I am not able to see how my guitar looks like until tomorrow I was wondering if it was going to have a clear or tortoise pickguard. I did some searching and it seems as though they have changed it all to tortoise? No? It'd be great if I could get a definite answer on this. I purchased it from E.M. Shorts if that helps at all. Thanks guys! Hope to learn a lot through this forum!

Yes.

Actually I have no idea...
But I'm excited for you!!

Stan

CA GXi Burst
CA Cargo (Red - Go Utes)
Larrivee LV-03K
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin D-35 Burst
Yamaha FG423S

If its a new guitar...it will be tortis....older models have clear...but they are easily removed and replaced

Enjoy!!!

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Blue is correct.  New Larrivees now have the "tortis' pickguard.  I have this on my OM-03R and I like it.  It can be removed if you don't care for it.  Regardless of the pickguard you're going to love this guitar.   Welcome to the forum !

Tuffythepug

Thanks all...I actually like the tortoise pickguard over the clear pickguard....another question....do you think a humidifier is something I need to get right away? I plan on spending 40 dollars on mine and I don't know if its something I immediately need to get to maintain the guitar.

Quote from: xinsungx on March 26, 2007, 07:23:35 PM
....another question....do you think a humidifier is something I need to get right away? I plan on spending 40 dollars on mine and I don't know if its something I immediately need to get to maintain the guitar.

If the humidity is too low, then yes. It should be between about 40-60%. You need a hygrometer to know what the humidity is.

If you use any kind of heating in the winter, you will need a humidifier. Your new D-03R is a solid wood instrument and needs all the care and attention that a quality solid-wood instrument requires.

Read this article from Larrivee for more information.

Congrats on your new guitar! You made an excellent choice! Welcome to the forum.  :donut :donut2 :nana_guitar
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Just another question.....is under my bed a good place to put my guitar? I live on the 2nd floor and I don't want to leave it where its hot....jw..thanks..

I would say try and keep it in the same place , and if the reading of your in case hygrometer is in the correct range then under the bed would be fine.

I would recommend the Oregon Scientific metres,the one I have has a small metre that fits in the case and you can read the % on the main display which also gives a %  reading of the room.

"I would recommend the Oregon Scientific metres"

Which one do you have? Their "thermometers & hygrometers" page had a lot of stuff on it. Is there a sensor on a wire or something that you can hang outside the case that would show you the in-case and in-room humidity?

Now, being a newbie, lemme see if I can get some donuts in here . . .  :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut

Woohoo! Sorry they're not Tim's . . . down here we have to settle for Tastykake and Dunkin's.   :yak:

Hey, where's the poutine icon???

Walt
Walt33

OM-03 spruce 'n' hog

For a humidifier, you can buy an inexpensive planet waves (or the equivalent) sound hole humidifier.  Also, elderly.com sells an inexpensive Oasis digital hygrometer that fits in the case.  A lot of folks worry about the calibration and accuracy of a hygrometer, but I already worry about too many other things.  What is important is that you have some way to measure the range that you need to keep it, ideally 45-55% RH.  Even if the hygrometer is inaccurate, it should give get you in the ballpark and then just pay attention to the symptoms that would indicate that you aren't in the optimal range.  Larrivee's website has a great article on what to look for.  Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new guitar. :welcome:
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

here is a link to the one I have  http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--Easy-Weather-Station-Advanced--BAR628.html    the in case meter is wireless

That is SLICK! Thanks for the link.
Walt33

OM-03 spruce 'n' hog

Enjoy your new baby!    

I've always preferred the classic Tortoise Shell guard to the clear versions.  The former seems to bring out the texture in the wood (like a great tie on a good suit); and the later sometimes bothers me when I play ...the edge of the clear pickguard catches your eye giving you a brief impression that something stuck to your guitar.

We're entering the season where the heating systems will be used much less frequently and most of us can put away the humidifiers for the year (unless you're in a really dry part of the continent).  I've got several guitars so use a combination of sound hole devices (I use Planet Waves for simplicity - they seem to have the best 'quick fill without spill' solution), and a general guitar room humidifier.  You can get them at Home Depot or Walmart for $50.

p.

"those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."

larrivee sd-50 sbt
larrivee parlours:  p01 satin mahogany; p09 walnut
bourgeois omv european
doolin 'sarah'
gibson j45 vine
godin steel multiac duet
takamine ltd98; ef341sc; f400
martin d18 ge; d40; 000 Ltd Ed.Hippie

Thanks Guys for all the help....I got the guitar and I absolutely love it....upon reading all your guys replies...does it mean i shouldn't be in a real hurry to buy a hygrometer & humidifier since its getting warmer?