Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not A Larrivee But....  (Read 910 times)
laughingskunk

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2004, 12:23:40 AM »

Thursday night I stopped by Guitar Center to play a few Taylors. I've got my mind still set on getting a Larrivee(now maybe a D-05) around Christmas, but after seeing Doyld Dykes recently-thought give Taylor another try. Well played a 414, and was ok to me but not great. After wasting a few minutes decided better head home. Just before leaving acoustic area I saw a guitar with a $99 tag on it. Picked it up and played it and to make a long story longer took it home. It says Abilene on the headstock and is by Samick(made in indonesia)It is a AW-015. Looks to be laminated top back and sides. Restrung it today and am amazed at the sound -havent heard better for such a low price. It was used so is scratched and just noticed has a crack by the binding on the bottom. Just wondering if anyone familiar with Abilene(Not much info on net-none I could find on this model) Also any tips to prevent crack from spreading(ie-wood glue) I really dont want to take it to a pro since it was so cheap. Appreciate any info and help. Also love stories of cheap guitars if have any Peace, Patrick  

CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"
Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 09:46:43 AM »

Also love stories of cheap guitars if have any Peace, Patrick
My brother was passing a second-hand store and a banjo caught his eye so he popped in to ask about it. The owner showed him the banjo but the price was way out of his league so he asked if he had any guitars for sale. The owner said that he had one other and pulled out from behind the counter a dusty old Washburn dread with 2 strings on it. My brother clocked the 'Washburn' headstock and asked how much he wanted.

"Well seeing as it has some strings missing I'll take £10," replied the owner. My brother couldn't believe his luck and must have looked quite shocked because the owner quickly followed with, "OK then, a fiver." ($9)

Man that guitar sings. He had it cleaned up and set up and it plays and sounds like a dream! It is his main guitar now.

How come that stuff never happens to me? <_<  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: