Question On Woods?

Started by dbirchett, June 06, 2004, 11:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A couple of questions about various woods for the luthiers or more technical minded?

1. When the Japanese began to export decent acoustic guitars, several of them were using a tonewood they called Jacaranda and I believe I saw some referred to as Jacaranda rosewood. The only Jacaranda tree I know is a Mimosa-type tree (Jacaranda mimosifolia I believe) which has beautiful purplish-blue flowers for a few weeks and then deposits trash all over your yard for 11 months (actually 12 but for the month of blooming, you don't care too much). Is this the wood which is used or is it referring to a different tree? Is anyone using it as a tonewood now?

2. When a rosewood guitar is described as having "Indian Rosewood" is it Dalbergia latifolia or Dalbergia sissoo (or another Indian Dalbergia) or are both commonly used?

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I certainly don't have an answer for you, but if no one here knows a good place to try would be the forum at acguitar.com.  They have a Luthiers Corner on the forum and I'm sure the guys there would be able to answer you.  I imagine Matthew would be able to answer your question if he checks in.