Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Johnson is rolling in his grave...  (Read 992 times)
bogie

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

I was at Best Buy last night to pick up Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall" and decided to look at the new releases too.

What did I find? A cd of Sting & Edin Karamazov lute music entitled "Songs From the Labyrinth" and, I swear to God, there is a cover of "Hellhound on my Trail" on it.

Has anybody heard this? I don't know about you, but when I think of "blues", Sting is the LAST performer that comes to mind!

FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »

Yeah, I hear ya.  Sting has always seemed like a bit of a weenie to me.  Any guy who plays with his shirt off so much probably thinks a bit too irresistable.  I put him in the same class as Seal or Madonna, and definitely can't see him as a bluesman. 

Around these parts we have this "mix" radio station.  On the billboards they'll advertise that they play stuff from the 80's, 90's, and now.  Sting is usually on these billboards, which automatically makes me not want to respect him as a musician.  You can usually find Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, Gwen Stefani or Rob Thomas on there as well.  All MTV bobble-heads and little more.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »

No, Sting is far from being the first artist I think of when I think "blues".  And Hellbound on my trail is being on a lute on top of that?  That sounds like a weird version but then again, on Rush's last CD, they did Crossroads, à la Cream/Eric Clapton.  Not exactly a blues band either now are they.

Hey Bogie, how do like the Neil Young Live at Massey Hall?

bogie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »

No, Sting is far from being the first artist I think of when I think "blues".  And Hellbound on my trail is being on a lute on top of that?  That sounds like a weird version but then again, on Rush's last CD, they did Crossroads, à la Cream/Eric Clapton.  Not exactly a blues band either now are they.

Hey Bogie, how do like the Neil Young Live at Massey Hall?

Rush is one of my favourite bands, Denis. The cover of Crossroads is at least understandable, given that Yardbirds and Cream were amongst their early influences...obviously they've strayed from that, though. Sting is just so pretentious and self-absorbed, though. Can't really see him performing Country Blues, which is the music of common folks like us.

BTW, I love the Massey Hall DVD/CD. I makes a great companion to Heart of Gold. Nice to have the contrast of Neil stripped down solo, versus  The big country band and 4-5 guitar attack on some of the tunes.

A bunch of harmonicas
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »

What did I find? A cd of Sting & Edin Karamazov lute music entitled "Songs From the Labyrinth" and, I swear to God, there is a cover of "Hellhound on my Trail" on it.

Whoa !   That's just plain wrong on so many levels.  The words "lute", "Sting" and "Blues" should not be used in the same sentence.   I have some degree of respect for Sting as a performer with a very long list of "Hit" records but he is in no way a blues musician on lute or anything else.
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »

Rush is one of my favourite bands.
BTW, I love the Massey Hall DVD/CD. I makes a great companion to Heart of Gold. Nice to have the contrast of Neil stripped down solo, versus the big country band and 4-5 guitar attack on some of the tunes.

Bogie,
RUSH is one of my favourite bands as well.  AND they CAN pull off the blues, if they put in the effort.

Also, about a month ago I bought Neil's "Heart of Gold' DVD and it is amazing ... often more than 4-5 guitar attack ... "Comes A Time" ... "One Of These Days" ... "Four Strong Winds"... awesome stuff.

Just yesterday, I picked up Young's 1971 Massey Hall CD/DVD set and ... all I can say to anyone who doesn't have it is, "Get It". 

And Neil Young CAN play the blues ...   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."
bogie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »

The words "lute", "Sting" and "Blues" should not be used in the same sentence. 

I agree, let us never speak of this again.

A bunch of harmonicas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: