Neil Young---Live At Massey Hall--

Started by Fredmando, March 19, 2007, 06:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteAs far as the songs where you see only the tape recorder, I understand that these were the last 2 songs of the evening and they ran out of tape.

I've only watched the DVD once, but IIRC you see the tape recorder more often than that.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: bucky1 on May 01, 2007, 04:50:50 AM
If you want to learn a bit more about Neil Young, I recommend that you read Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by James Mcdonough. There is a lot of information about his time in the recording studio, his time with CSNY, and his sole days. The author talks about Neil's trait of not using the best back up musicians. He also talks about Neil's long term project to release a box set of everything he ever recorded. It likely won't ever see the light of day from the way it is described. Did you know that he owned Lionel trains for a while? Maybe he still does.
Bucky, I couldn't agree with you more. Can you believe that I was stupid enough to let this book sit on my shelf for months before I picked it up and read it? :bowdown:
McDonough does a great job and, like Crosby's biographies, I like how the author brings in actual interviews from the major players in Young's life. The entire part about the relationship with Carrie Snodgrass is amazing.
As far as the tape recorder in the DVD, I thought that was cool. I read somewhere that the film of some of the songs were either too dark or didn't meet up to Young's expectations. The chair, the guitars, the rug and the old reel-to-reel is pretty cool in my book. Plus, we're talking a free DVD here or maybe $5.00 more than the regular VD version of the album.
So, again, you can't go wrong with the book. A friend of mine describes it as a "slow starter" and I appreciate that. But, I love the slice of the 60's and 70's in provides.
Great thread--this is what it's all about, you know? :nana_guitar

Quote from: Fredmando on March 28, 2007, 04:50:41 AM
Yeah, but the Martins are different from the Larrivees I've played. I think the ideal collection would have a Martin, a Larrivee or two, a Gibson and a Taylor 12-string. But, my favorite Martins are the vintage and the D-41 special. I think I have that model right. It has a lot of bling on it and vintage bracing.
I also like the HD-28V's I have played.
--Fred
I'm with you on that combo of guitars. The dang larrivee sounds so good though I never could justify it to myself. When last kid is gone mayby I'll get martin and gibson.
As far as Niel, loved him since Buffalo Springfield. Gonna get CD. Love his style and attitude toward music. While I haven't cared for some of his adventures I always respect him for doing whatever he wants to do.
As far as the Lionel Train thing, I understood he has a child with some kinda disorder, maybe Autistic? But anyway kids likes trains so niel bought the company! 
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Shakey is a great book, and a very fast read despite its mammoth length.  I recommend it highly.  The only problem with it is that it will make you rush out and buy whatever Neil CDs you don't already have -- even Re-ac-tor.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on May 04, 2007, 10:31:04 AM
Shakey is a great book, and a very fast read despite its mammoth length.  I recommend it highly.  The only problem with it is that it will make you rush out and buy whatever Neil CDs you don't already have -- even Re-ac-tor.

I agree with this. I might have to cash in some points on my lingering BMG account! I think I hesitate to buy Zuma--not sure why.
To me, Decade is like reading a good novel on a rainy day. I love that CD/Album.

Quote from: Tycho on May 04, 2007, 10:31:04 AM

I thought Arc was the one?   :tongue:

Watched the Massey Hall DVD last night.  Was good.  But the white level flickering was distracting after a while.  Was this a post-production artifact?  Or did it happen on the original film?  Almost looked like the film had been damaged.  Which also may explain why a number of songs are "videos" instead.  And why it hadn't been released before now.
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Quote from: Big Eric on May 05, 2007, 08:12:57 AM
I thought Arc was the one?   :tongue:

I love Arc and Weld!  But I'm as much of a fan of noisy-feedback Neil as I am of sensitive-acoustic Neil.

Having said that, songs like "T-Bone" or "Welfare Mothers" (accurately described in Shakey as "moronic") definitely have to approached in the right frame of mind.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

My first exposure to Mr. Young was the Weld stuff which to me was pure noise pollution. OTOH, a friend recently turned me onto the CD and I'm changing my tune about this other fella named Neil.

BTW - chalk me down as another guy with Martin GAS. I've fawned over an HD-35 in a local shop often enough that the owner has noticed, which might be a good thing or a bad thing - I can't decide. $2600 is a bit steep, though I'm sure there's some wiggle room there. The problem is that there's also this NOS mahogany L-03 (with a clear pickguard & maple binding) at this other store and the guys there don't seem to know what a gem they have hanging there. At one time it was on clearance and I was beside myself until I saw it again later back at its regular price.

I still can't afford either guitar, though  - at least not until my youngest is out of diapers. :crying:
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

QuoteMy first exposure to Mr. Young was the Weld stuff

That would not be the best entry point into Neil's work.  :bgrin:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on May 29, 2007, 10:48:09 PM
That would not be the best entry point into Neil's work.  :bgrin:

Well said, Tycho! That is great! :roll
:donut :donut2 (Hump Day Dnuts)

A (true) Neil Young fan will find these in his collection ... Arc, Dead Man, Journey Through the Past, Time Fades Away and the film Where the Buffalo Roam (to have his rendition of Home on the Range).  Yes and you have Re-Ac-Tor and Trans too! 

I've got Re-Ac-Tor ("Ain't got no T-Bone!") but I'm afraid I draw the line at Trans.  I like the version of "Transformer Man" on Unplugged though.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02