Patty Griffin at Warfield

Started by tuffythepug, March 17, 2007, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don't know if there are any Patty Griffin fans lurking on this forum but my wife and I caught her show at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco last night.   What can I say other than she is a fantastic singer-songwriter who beats the heck out of a Gibson Jumbo one minute and plays delicate fingerstyle accompaniment the next.  She is a terrific entertainer who can hold a crowd in the palm of her hands.  She has a very good backup band of elect. guitar, bass, and drums on most songs but she's at her best when it's just her and her guitar. 
Catch her if you get the chance.   I'm not really a music reviewer but, hey, I'd want someone to let me know if there's a great perfomer out there I haven't seen or heard of before.

Over and out

tuffythepug

she is wonderful.
i saw her at Newport Folk a couple of summers ago.
very captivtating. very beautiful.

i work on a few of her songs from time to time...and was just at her website a few days back looking for lyrics to "you're not alone."

glad you got to experience her performance.
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx

I saw Patty Griffin open for the Dixie Chicks in 2000. Her first 3 or 4 songs did not go over so well but after that she started getting into a groove and the crowd started paying attention to her. By the time she did her last song, she could have carried on and sang for the whole night. It was a very enjoyable set.
L-03R Lefty

bucky1
I can see how a crowd who came to see the Dixie Chicks would not be eager to sit and listen to Patty's rather quiet, thought-provoking music.   Kind of like many, many years ago when I saw Van Morrisson open for Iron Butterfly..............The crowd just wasn't into it, no matter how good the opener was.  Ha !
I imagine in 2000 she was just beginning to make a name for herself.   Now 7 years later with a few albums under her belt she is an accomplished headliner in her own right.   I've seen the Dixie Chicks and I think I'd much rather see Patty Griffin in a small intimate venue instead of the Dixie Chicks in an Arena.

tuffythepug