Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Take On Taylors  (Read 1288 times)
Frederickmando

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2004, 12:47:08 AM »

Ok, I'm eating my words here. I've never been very fond of Taylors, I'm not sure why.
With a little nudging from a friend, I played some Taylors today. I played a 414 and a 514. Both are very nice guitars with a balanced tone. Not much boom in the bottom end which is to be expected, I think.
I also kept coming back to a Yairi DY 84C and I was expecting some punch from that gutair. Possibly, the strings were dead.
I also had the privilage of playing a brand new Gibson Songwriter Deluxe right out of the box. Nice guitar as well. No, they aren't Larrivees  but they aren't supposed to be--right?
--Fred
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 03:22:21 AM »

The 514 is an awesome fingerstyle guitar.  The Mahogany with a Cedar top and Taylors GA body makes a very lively, warm and balanced instrument.  One of Taylors best in my opinion.

Mike <><
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 10:22:05 AM »

Mog, this is where I get all messed up with guitars. I am just learning the basics of fingerstyle playing and I don't really flatpick that hard. But, I know people who play "fingerstyle" guitars with picks and swear by the sound/feel.
I love my dreadnaught, but I am about to go to "L" and "OM" styles just for comfort/playability.
It's a funny world, huh? All of this for the sake of guitars!! And I thought cars were complicated!! :P
--Fred
rwhitted

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 12:33:10 PM »

I maintain that if you buy one guitar without playing 100 guitars, you've sold yourself short. Have you tried one of the Martin small bodies yet? Or a vintage Martin? Have you played a Lakewood? Or a used (opened up) Larrivee? Have you tried a Lowden with a cedar top? Have you felt the top wood of a Breedlove literally dance under your hands? Ever seen a Froggy Bottom in person? Have your fingers touched a Santa Cruz fingerstyle, or a Collings 00?

Then if you keep coming back to that one, you know you got away with a steal. Or at least know just what you're getting. It's my snotty, bigoted opinion that if more people did that, there would be a few big names that wouldn't be in business anymore. And that big name ain't Larrivee!  ;)  

Larrivee C-05
Larrivee 00-05
Warren White 1967 Brazilian classical
1972 Mahogany classical built by my Grandpa!
Martin Backpacker
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 02:03:04 PM »

Rwhitted--You are right on the money. I almost "hate" to finally buy a guitar in a way because it so much fun looking at them.
You mention some great brands. I sometimes go over to the Martin Forum and I can't believe how many of those guys have a signature with all Martins. I don't think I could ever own that many guitars by one maker. The exception would be Larrivee and I plan on owning one more eventually. But, the rest of the time I look at a lot of other makes and enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing that,
Fred
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 03:53:49 PM »

Mog, this is where I get all messed up with guitars. I am just learning the basics of fingerstyle playing and I don't really flatpick that hard. But, I know people who play "fingerstyle" guitars with picks and swear by the sound/feel.
I love my dreadnaught, but I am about to go to "L" and "OM" styles just for comfort/playability.
It's a funny world, huh? All of this for the sake of guitars!! And I thought cars were complicated!! :P
--Fred
If you love the dread but want something more comfy try the L series or the M-32 by Lakewood.  Both will give you tremendous volume and more bass than you would expect.  I was really surprised at the bass of my L03R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: