Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 5230 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »

Are there any fans of country music here?  I hear lots about rock, blues, and obviously acoustic styles, but I hardly see anyone talking about country.  I've never been a fan of *mainstream* country (think Garth, Toby, Brooks and Dunn, etc), but have always enjoyed some great alt-country and the old-timers like Willie and Cash are always getting some time in my CD player. 

I have recently found some artists doing country that I actually like.  Radney Foster and Reckless Kelly stand out, as do Joe Ely and Jimmie Dale Gilmore, though they're more on the outlaw side of things. 

What are some country artists that you enjoy?
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:00:12 AM »

I detest the mainstream country, talk about music that sounds a well designed product made to sell to the lowest common denominator  mad  whistling ~ok, take a breath and let the blood flow again~   I do like 'old time' music that I guess is the precursor to 'country', like Norman Blake, Woody Guthrie, Doc Watson,  and a lot of those old time string bands. Some artist that may actually be considered 'country' that I like: Willie, Cash, Hank Williams, Allison Kraus.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:00:26 AM »

Good calls. 

Doc is great, and while catagorized as "folk", I pretty much consider him old-time country.  Alison's band is phenominal, and her voice is angelic.  She's got to be one of the greatest singers alive.  I really like Gillian Welch and sometimes her stuff could be called "country".

I'm with you on the destableness (is that a word?) of mainstream country music.  You need a mullet and the ability to speak Nascar fluently to really appreciate it.  I think it sounds better after consuming large amounts of watered-down cheap beer as well.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:17:14 AM »

+1 on all those (especially the great Norman Blake, who should be classified as a national treasure in the US).

Also, check out (in no particular order) Clarence White (both his small body of solo stuff and his large body of work with other people), Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, James McMurtry, the Hellecasters, Dwight Yoakam, Pete Anderson...

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:32:35 AM »

I'm with you on the destableness (is that a word?) of mainstream country music.  You need a mullet and and the ability to speak Nascar fluently to really appreciate it.  I think it sounds better after consuming large amounts of watered-down cheap beer as well.

It really is just redneck pop. They can be pretty funny though.

"driving through town just my boy and me
with happy meal and his booster seat
Knowing that he couldent have the toy
Til his nuggets were gone "  

It also gets me how the music almost stops as if to annouce the arrival of the hook in much of modern country.

On a positive note... Here's something that once came from the genre of 'Country'
"...I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry...

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry"

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:54 AM »

Some great suggestions.  Emmylou is in my CD player alot as well.  Dwight Yoakam is good as well. 

How bout this one:  Townes Van Zandt.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »

On a positive note... Here's something that once came from the genre of 'Country'
"...I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry...

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry"

Jeremy3220
How interesting you should choose that particular song to quote.    I was just in the process of formulating a response to the question of whether or not I really like country music.    First I had to define in my own mind what country music is.   That is, music of the country, the common man.  No nosnense, right from the heart simple American music.    If I define country music in that manner then Hell yes I like country music.   If Hank Williams Sr. doesn't personify country music then I don't know what does.   And that lyric is the very essence of Hank Williams and of country music to me.   Of course there are dozens of other muscians I could name as being some of my favorites including Johny Cash and all the great musicians who played the Grand Ole Opry. 
But, and this may make me sound old fashioned, Kenny Chesney and other contemporary pseudo country artists leave me flat.  There's nothing there except the flash and the show.   Maybe I'm being too hard on that brand of country music.   I know that music changes over time.  It evolves continually, but I just ain't evolving with it, I'm afraid.

Your cheatin heart
will make you weep
You'll cry and cry
and try to sleep

But sleep won't come
the whole night through
your cheatin' heart
will tell on you

Everybody's gotta believe in somethin'  I believe I'll have another beer 

tuffythepug

Mantula

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 06:11:15 AM »

My C&W favorites, by far :

1° Alison Krauss & Union Station
2° Every Union Station band member on solo projects
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »

My C&W favorites, by far :

1° Alison Krauss & Union Station
2° Every Union Station band member on solo projects

Mantula
Agreed.    I saw Allison krauss & Union Station recently and they are superb.   Voice of an angel and fiddle chops to boot.  Every member of the band is excellent.   Jerry Douglas is as good as it gets on dobro. 
I've never heard forum member Juni Fisher, (Cowgirlie) except on her website but I like what I hear in her music as well.  There's a lot of good female contemporary country artists our there.  Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris are great as well.   I'm going to see Patti Griffin next week in San Francisco.  I think her music kind of falls in between country, folk, and rock but she has a great voice and writes great songs.   

tuffythepug
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »

I've never heard forum member Juni Fisher, (Cowgirlie) except on her website but I like what I hear in her music as well. 
Wouldn't her music be more like the storyteller cowboy music, rather than country? I know the lines can cross every now and then, but for the most part, there is a difference between cowboy campfire music and country.  Think Red Stegall vs. Hank Williams.  Similar but altogether different. 

little fingers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »

Some great suggestions.  Emmylou is in my CD player alot as well.  Dwight Yoakam is good as well. 

How bout this one:  Townes Van Zandt.

we had a nice TVZ conversation in a thread about songs we were playing lately...or learning...something along those lines. always nice to hear him mentioned and appreciated.

1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »

Wouldn't her music be more like the storyteller cowboy music, rather than country? I know the lines can cross every now and then, but for the most part, there is a difference between cowboy campfire music and country.  Think Red Stegall vs. Hank Williams.  Similar but altogether different. 

Yes, I believe you would be correct.   Juni's music is storyteller cowboy music and she'd probably be the first to agree. 
Still I think that some of the best country music is character-driven storytelling music.   Woudn't that make Townes Van Zandt fall into the same category ?
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 10:35:56 PM »

Yes, I believe you would be correct.   Juni's music is storyteller cowboy music and she'd probably be the first to agree. 
Still I think that some of the best country music is character-driven storytelling music.   Woudn't that make Townes Van Zandt fall into the same category ?
Yes, I'd say TVZ would sort of fall into that catagory, but way more on the storyteller side.  To me, he's more of a poet than a cowboy storyteller; though still a storyteller, but not really a cowboy storyteller side of things.  He also had some full-blown honky tonk albums, which I'm really not a fan of.  I prefer his acoustic solo side much much better. 

Whatever he was, the world lost a true genius when he left us. 
little fingers

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »

Fred Eaglesmith
Lyle Lovett
Kris Kristofferson

1964 Fender Stratocaster
1971 Fender Telecaster
1972 Martin D28
1986 Sigma DR-41
1999 Larrivée P-01 (sitka top, hog back and sides; satin finish)
aka Milo
2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio (hog, satin finish)
aka Henry
2006 Larrivée LV-09E
2003 Triumph Bonneville America
aka Blue
2009 Triumph Street Triple R
aka maxx
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

My brother-in-law says there are only two kinds of music:
1. Country and
2. Western

L-03R Lefty
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »

"We like both kinds of music here, country and western"- The Blues Brothers (1980)

Thursday night in Santa Fe I got a chance to hear and talk to Bill Hearne.  He and his wife Bonnie have recorded with Lyle Lovett and others.  He played Western music, a bluegrass song, some western swing on what I would call "Cowboy Music" that you could dance to.

The reason that I went to meet him was that he recently gave up his SC guitar for a------

(pregnant pause intended to create suspense)

Larrivee D-60

It was a hoot.  You don't want to be standing to close to Bill when he decides to let 'er rip on the Larrivee that he now loves. 

http://www.billhearne.com/     

http://www.billandbonnie.com/

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
James_E

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »

Up until quite recently I didn't like country all that much (at least not "new country").  Believe me I was giving it a chance... always checking out CMT.  I'd often watch the Opry too, hoping some of the old greats would be on.

Found a show on Keith Urban... for some reason it got me interested, it was showing him playing his acoustic and singing in the studio.   He's got a great voice and great guitar chops, so I started checking out more of his stuff.  My wife and I both enjoy his music now. 

Allison Kraus and Union Station?  Awesome. Saw a show on CMT a few times with them... I watch it in full every time.  Great musicians.   

Time to go check out Juni Fisher now.
sgarnett

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »

My wife listens to more country than I do, but "Neck and Neck" by Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite albums.

Some of Knopfler's other solo work (post Dire Straits) might be dancing around the fringes of the country ballad in its own folky, intricate, storytelling way. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that it could be covered as country.

"5:15am" contains the lines "How the young and old ... paid the price ... of coal" (probably Welsh coal, but coal nonetheless) and the epitaph "1867 ... My angel's gone to heaven. He'll be happy there. Sunlight, and fresh clean air,", all while telling the story of a slot machine tycoon killed for skimming and found by one of the miners he fleeced. Another song might be about an old west medicine show, or it might be about a bartender.

In general, I think the stuff I tend to like best is usually tough to pigeonhole into any given genre (not even "crossover").
pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »

Lately I've gotten back into Waylon Jennings with as much passion as back in the '70s.
Keith Whitley had a great voice (died in '89), still listen to him.
Steve Wariner, Don Williams, Patty Loveless, Merle Haggard frequent the cd player.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »

Count me among those running from mainstream Nashville.

My favorite country star remains Lefty Frisell  "don't think it ain't been fun dear, cos it ain't"

If it sounds good, it is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: