Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Nobody leaves this place without singin the blues"- Albert Collins  (Read 871 times)
ElJefe

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:17:38 AM »

Music will evolve, with me or without me.
Somewhere western changed to country and then to "country rock"
Bluegrass changed to Newgrass
And Blues changed to Rock Blues?

Something happened to the blues once the rock influence became popular.  Don't get me wrong, B.B. is still King (ouch).  Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my favorite guitarist, but wasn't he a more modern rock/blues artist?

Whatever happened to Lightnin Hopkins and the Bunion Blues?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjJqpyNPEM&mode=related&search=

Who is your favorite blues musician?  It's your turn to sing the blues.

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:34:50 AM »

There's a slide guitarist / singer based in Northern California who used to be John Lee Hooker's manager and also played with him.  He's not really that well known although he is touring the U.S. or Euorope constantly.  I've seen him play at least a dozen times and he still amazes me with what he can do with a slide.  His name is Roy Rogers (not the cowboy). His band is the Delta Rhythm Kings,   You have to see him if you ever get the chance.  You won't believe your eyes and ears.     I love blues in all it's forms and I have a lot of personal favorites but he tops the list.

You can check out his music and his schedule at www.Roy-Rogers.com

You can also see some stuff on youtube.   Here's a short interview with some riffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsr6rn4TFbY

tuffythepug
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »

My current favorites:  Mississippi John Hurt....Mance Lipscomb...Ari Esinger....Robert Wilkins....Ernie Hawkins...Bo Carter...Furry Lewis...Blind Blake...and of course Rev. Gary Davis...

Back to the roots Baby!!!

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »

Like Blue I'm a big fan of the country blues. MJH, Robert Johnson, Rev Gary Davis, Mance Lipscomb, Blind Blake, Tommy Johnson, Frank Stokes, Skip James, and others.

Personally I'm not really a fan of most electric blues, I find the blatent call and answer form  . The drums are what really kills it for me, that slow shuffle where the drummer isn't doing much more than a metronome, so the guitar and vocalist will have a huge space to do their thing, I hate that sound. I think if you are going to have intense guitar playing the rest of the band should do the same, thats why I prefer the Led Zeppelin type sound over SRV and others. But thats just me.
 My favorite electric bluesman would have to be Dylan. He's had alot of great blues recordings starting from the beginning through Hwy 61, Blond on Blonde, Time out of Mind, etc to his latest album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQfrn14woAk
 that Jack Frost knows how to make a recording 

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »

Most blues, to me, is pretty uninteresting music.  It's too repetitive and ends up giving me a headache of sorts.  I do like some of it, but not much.  I feel the same way about most Bluegrass music.  I used to be very heavy into the SRV type sound, but found most of the folks that he sited as influences completely boring and extrememly unintersting (Albert King, Albert Collins, Lonnie Mack, etc).  I liked what SRV did because he coveyed something more than just blues. He made it "rock" at the same time and he seemed possessed by it, which made watching him live interesting for different reasons. 

I guess I just don't enjoy the blues that much overall.  It used to really bother me that I don't really like it, like I was some sort of slacker as far as being a music fan, but it all just boils down to taste.  I don't *try* to like something just because lots of other folks do.  Not anymore, anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: