Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Silent" couch guitar  (Read 3166 times)
mannish

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 02:00:17 AM »

Chad and Bluesman67,

Yes I agree with the two of you as well that a solid body electric like a Strat would make a good "silent" guitar when unamplified.  The only issue is that I would like to have something with the same nut width as my SD-50 (which is 1 and 7/8").  As far as I can tell that neck width is pretty unusual and hard to find in a solid body electric.  Does anyone know of any models of solid body electrics with a wider neck (close to 1 and 7/8 inches)?

Dan

Webber Roundbody Rosewood/Englemann 2001
Martin OO-15c Custom  Mahogany/Sitka 2014
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »

How about 1 3/4"?  These guys make neck replacements.  Per their Fender licensing agreement, they are supposed to be of equal or better value than a Fender original neck.  http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=strat_warmothpro  I assume there are others out there for different manufacturers.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »

How about 1 3/4"?  These guys make neck replacements.  Per their Fender licensing agreement, they are supposed to be of equal or better value than a Fender original neck.  http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=strat_warmothpro  I assume there are others out there for different manufacturers.

The real problem isn't always the neck/nut width but the string spacing at the saddle. I looked around quite a bit for an electric with a wider nut and string spacing and there are not many out there, especially lefties. G&L used to offer a ASAT set up like that but it's no longer available. I think it was neck option #4. If you go to guitarsbyleo.com they have the specs in their FAQ section. Also Gretsch offers the Chet Atkins G6122-1959 that has a wider nut (1 3/4"), but the string spacing is the same, about 2 1/8". I talked to Hamer Guitars about it and they said they could build a saddle with wider string spacing but the problem is that if you go to wide, 2 1/4"- 2 3/16" the strings don't line up correctly with the poles on the pick-ups and you can run into problems, unless you want to design custom bridges. So that's what I was able to find out when looking into it. There may be a few other makers out there that have wider necks, and string spacing, but it's slim pickings.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »

Looking for a smaller "couch" guitar, something easy to play and practice with while on the couch (my Larrivee SD-50 is too big for that).  But also want something quiet, ie an acoustic electric that you could play in the same room with someone else without disturbing them.  Would like something close to the 1 and 7/8" nut width of my SD-50.  The Yamaha "Silent Guitar", the Soloette and the Aria Sinonido seem to be along the lines of what I would be looking for, but not sure what their nut widths are. 

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models or have any other models/manufacturers to suggest?  Thanks. 

I played some acoustic electrics, and a few were neat and not breaking the bank, but I ended up with an electric, and I'm having way too much fun.
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 01:03:15 AM »

Does anyone know of any models of solid body electrics with a wider neck (close to 1 and 7/8 inches)?
Dan,

Godin makes a solid body electric classical. I play mine while watching TV for the very reason you have described. It's ultra quiet and the neck is very wide.

dg

mannish

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:01 AM »

dgrose

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered an Aria Sinsonido nylon string with cutaway (nut width is either 1 13/16" or 1 7/8").  However, I did find the Godin classicals on the internet and was intrigued by them.  I may be interested in one of those at some point.  How much did you pay for yours (if you don't mind me asking), and are you happy with the quality of the guitar?
Is it comfortable to play while sitting on the couch?

Thanks, Dan

dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 04:34:01 AM »

How much did you pay for yours (if you don't mind me asking), and are you happy with the quality of the guitar?
Is it comfortable to play while sitting on the couch?

My Godin cost around $900 Cdn (new), but it is also a synth access guitar - it has a solid body with (I think) LR Baggs pickup for each string. There is a photo of it here:
http://21guitars.com/documents/65.html
It's very comfortable to play both from a size and weight perspective. The nut is 1 7/8" wide.
Godins are among my favourite electric guitars - I have 5 of them (other faves are Yamaha Pacificas and Epiphone jazz guitars).

dg

mannish

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:20 AM »

dg

Thanks for the info.  I noticed you are a big fan of both Godins and Larrivees.  I liked the nut width especially on the Godin nylon string because it is 1 and 7/8 just like my Larrivee SD-50.  You say you like the Yamaha Pacifica also.  What is the nut width on that guitar and how does the weight of it compare to the Godin nylon string?  Is the Godin lighter?

Thanks, Dan

dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »

...What is the nut width on that guitar and how does the weight of it compare to the Godin nylon string?  Is the Godin lighter?

The Yamaha has a nut width that you would probably not enjoy... it's very narrow, like an old Strat - a little over 1.5". It's about the same weight as the Godin. There are a number of different Pacificas, of varying prices and qualities. The cheapest ones are very nice beginner/student quality. The nicer ones beat a Fender as far as I'm concerned.
Of all my electric steel-strings, the "Series A" has the widest nut width at 1 11/16" which is why I picked it up. At around $230 Cdn, it was very cheap.

dg

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: