"Silent" couch guitar

Started by mannish, March 06, 2007, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking for a smaller "couch" guitar, something easy to play and practice with while on the couch (my Larrivee SD-50 is too big for that).  But also want something quiet, ie an acoustic electric that you could play in the same room with someone else without disturbing them.  Would like something close to the 1 and 7/8" nut width of my SD-50.  The Yamaha "Silent Guitar", the Soloette and the Aria Sinonido seem to be along the lines of what I would be looking for, but not sure what their nut widths are. 

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models or have any other models/manufacturers to suggest?  Thanks. 
Webber Roundbody Rosewood/Englemann 2001
Martin OO-15c Custom  Mahogany/Sitka 2014

ever consider a parlor guitar?

A full sized (er... concert sized) guitar but with thin body will be good.

The martin LX-1 is also a great choice.  I am not a huge fan of the Larrivee parlor (not saying they are bad guitars by any means), but I think the Larrivee OO is great if you are willing to spend a bit more).
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

A Parlor is definitely not "silent". My Rosewood Special is quite loud. At full throttle, it won't get quite as loud as a bigger guitar, but it only takes a very light touch to make it sing. The voice is somewhere between a 12 string and a mandola.

I have an Aria Sinsonido. Mine is the steel-string model and the nut width is 1=11/16 inches. It feels like a full-size guitar neck.

Jim

You could get a parlor, or just use your dread and shove a feedback buster in the soundhole. That's what I do when it's late and I don't want to blast anyone out of bed with my D03. It sufficiently mutes the guitar.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Does the maximum feedback reduction version of the cover sold by lutehole reduce the volume enough for late night play?

I don't know. I just have the black rubber 'Feedback Buster'. It works fine for me.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Another vote for the Feedback Buster.  It mutes the sound a lot, but also brings out a different sound - I kinda like it, for short spells.
Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am not interested in the parlor because I want to be able to play quietly in the same room without bothering others (ie watch TV and practice right hand or left hand technique at the same time).  That is why I was focused more on the acoustic electric because they are so quiet. 

Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Well, it depends on what you mean by acoustic-electric. Some are basically acoustic, but built stiff to reduce feedback. They can still be quite loud. Some are more like electrics.

Hey Mannish,

I have one of the Yamaha SLG-100s.  The neck is pretty thin, kind of like an electric...on the short side of 1-11/16 maybe.  The SD-50 would feel huge next to the SLG's neck.  I got it for the exact use you've described, quiet playing at night or when someone in the same room doesn't want to hear me play.  To anyone else in the room it sounds like an unplugged electric guitar.  You can plug in some headphones or earbuds, and hear yourself play.  You can also plug in an ipod or something and jam with the virtual band, or take a guitar lesson.  Pretty nice features.  You can have a nice little session with someone sitting 5 to 10 feet away watching TV and not bother them one bit...unless they are ultra sensitive.  The sound through the phones is more like an electric guitar than an acoustic, but it serves its purpose. I don't use it all that much and I can't sell it because the kids love to plug it into an amp and make some noise, it's my only "electric" guitar.  If nothing else my kids think the SLG looks cool and it makes a lot of noise when it's plugged in so they are starting to take an interest in guitar which is right by me.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Quote from: mannish on March 06, 2007, 10:21:17 PM
Looking for a smaller "couch" guitar, something easy to play and practice with while on the couch (my Larrivee SD-50 is too big for that).  But also want something quiet, ie an acoustic electric that you could play in the same room with someone else without disturbing them.  Would like something close to the 1 and 7/8" nut width of my SD-50.  The Yamaha "Silent Guitar", the Soloette and the Aria Sinonido seem to be along the lines of what I would be looking for, but not sure what their nut widths are. 

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models or have any other models/manufacturers to suggest?  Thanks. 

Might I suggest a Traveller Escape guitar? I took mine on a cruise--yeah, my wife thought I was crazy--and played it in our cabin without waking up my wife. It has headphones and an onboard pre-amp, full size fretboard. Very well made for the money.
--fred

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Celticjam, is the Yamaha SLG-100 small enough to play on the couch? 

Mannish,

You can easily play it on a couch.  I used to play it in a Queen Annes chair before it went to St. Vincent de Paul,(the chair not the guitar).

Kevin

Celticjam, do you know if the Yamaha SLG-100 is bigger than the Aria Sinsonido or about the same size? 

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

I've never seen an Aria Sinsonido but I measured the Yamaha, from tip to tail its about 38-1/2 inches long and the lower bout is 14 inches.  Hope this helps.

Kevin

jwsamuel,

I know you said your steel string Aria Sinsonido has a nut width of 1 and 11/16ths.  Do you know what the nut width is on the nylon string model?  As far as I can tell it is about 2 inches for the standard classical and 1.8 inches for the classical with the cutaway, is this correct? 

Thanks, Dan

I have a Fender Stratocaster that I use unplugged as my "silent" guitar.  It sounds quite good unplugged and doesn't bother anyone.  I can even play it while we are watching TV and it isn't too distracting for my wife.  Plus the different style neck and body style keeps me on my toes.

Chad

I agree with Chad, a strat or probably any electric will make a decent silent couch guitar.  You can also amp it with headphones.  You can also buy a guitar port for your computer, use headphones, and model any sounding quitar/amp combo you can think of. :guitar
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte