Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thumbpicks  (Read 1467 times)
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:20:28 AM »

Anyone have a favorite type that you would like to share?

All the ones i've ever used feel really crappy and stiff! and hurt my thumb!

I'd like to have the feel of a light pick on my thumb with the rest of my fingers free.

Any thoughts?
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 04:41:09 AM »

I have a National thumbpick in medium gauge.  It is stiff, but a thumbpick is supposed to be stiff, that's how they serve their purpose.  I've seen those ones where it's basically a floppy guitar pick with a thumb attachment, but I've never tried to use one. They just don't make sense to me. YMMV

rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:03:03 AM »

Maybe i've just got a hold of one that doesn't fit properly but, darn, does it have to be so hard!
There has got to be something a bit thinner.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05:54 AM »

All "real" thumpicks, even the light ones, are going to be harder than hades.  That hardness helps pull out some SERIOUS bass notes.  You could buy some and try shaving them down some.  That might help.
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:12:42 AM »

Shaving them down might just work...thanks.
Whats the worst that can happen...
Old Geezer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »

The only thumb picks I've ever been comfortable with are the Kelley Speed Picks.

OG

Larrivee OM-03R
Taylor K12
Taylor XXX-RS
Regal RC-58TT
Regal RC-2
Chinese Yueqin
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »

When I use picks....which isn't that often these days...I use a national medium as well....I spend quite a bit of time reshaping mine...I always find hem to be too long.  I think you can also heat them up slightly in boiling water and bend them s o there are not as tight.

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Celticjam

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »

I usually use National Mediums but I tried a ProPik (medium) and it feels light and is adjustable to the circumference of my thumb.  It also seems shorter than the Nationals and seems to have little to no curvature to it.  I'm so used to the Nationals that I haven't used the ProPik so much, it just seems kind of short to me but it may work for you.  Like all of them it just takes a little getting used to.

http://www.newacousticgallery.com/propik%20and%20more%20picks.htm

Kevin
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:00:38 AM »

Thumbpicks are cheap,   I picked up a bunch from Elderly,

Dunlop tortise, Golden Gate, Zookies,  Fred Kelly...  in various sizes and type of plastic when there was a choice.

My favorite is a Zookie 10degree that I have filed and shaped to a much smaller pick.  feels very natrual and doesnt take much adjustment from bare thumb.

The Fred Kelly 'Slick' pick is nice and has a good tone, after a tiny bit of polishing the mold seam off of the tip that was causing a clicking sound.

The Fred Kelly 'Speed' pick is also a very good pick.  Unusuall shape, but sounds best to me. 
I have not shaved or reshaped the Fred Kelly's yet, but I think they may end up being my favorites.

Just like guitars,  finding the one you really like is part of the fun.   But in this case much less expensive   

As others have said, the loop can also be adjusted with some heat and experimenting.

ds   

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Thinman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »

Forum member LB has a comprehensive thumbpick review here:
http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/Thumbpicks/index.html
Wow,  :smile:What a coincidence!

All music is folk music, I ain't never heard no horse sing a song
Louis Armstrong

1999 Larrivee OM-01
1981 Larrivee L-09
2005  Larrivee P-05 MT
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »

Forum member LB has a comprehensive thumbpick review here:
http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/Thumbpicks/index.html
Wow,  :smile:What a coincidence!

Excellent!

Thank you guys for all your input.
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »

I would suggest you buy a bunch of different thumbpicks.  They're really cheap (unless you go crazy and get a one of those LB picks!) and then you can see what works for you.  I use different picks but my favorite is a Zookie L-10.

bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »

I bought one of the LB (Red Bear Trading Co.) thumb picks and think it is by far the best pick I have used. It is a Propik that has a custom Tortis blade on it. I highly recomend it for comfort (adjustable metal band instead of plastic) and tone (very earthy and natural). They are a little pricy but well worth it. I'm going to order another one so I can customize the profile. I'll keep one with a sharper profile and one a little more rounded for the fattter tone. LB has a goor write up on his site about customizing these picks.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »

I went ahead and purchased a  DUNLOP ZOOKIES THUMBPICK a   FRED KELLY'S "SPEED PICK" THUMBPICK  and a PROPIK DELRIN TIP THUMBPICK.

Afterward watching LB review and the input from you guys I figured that these three would be a good starting point, oh, I almost forgot about the DUNLOP four I bought at my local GC yesterday to maybe sand down and customize. I'm going to wait until I receive the picks from Elderly before I even open the package in case I really like one of those before I start sanding.

I went to the Red Bear Trading Co. to check out the picks and I just couldn't justify the $35 cost.
The PROPIK DELRIN TIP THUMBPICK  sells for $3.75 and they kind of look the same? we'll see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: