"Mahogaholic"

Started by ElJefe, March 03, 2007, 07:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, My name is El Jefe (actually it's Larry but El Jefe is one of the nicer names that my guys would call me), and I'm a "Mahogaholic".   :SHK>

dberch and his MT-- :thumb

I would like another Rosewood and unclrob has the prettiest KOA in the entire freeworld in the For Sale section. 

Blackwood or Walnut...oh yes.  But, when it comes down to lay down the moola, I'm a "Mahogaholic".  There...I feel better.

Do you need to confess?
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

I am coming out of the 'closet'.  It's way too dark in there and I keep banging my guitar against the walls.

I TOO am a "Mahogaholic".  (But I am also a bit of a sprucaholic, ebonyaholic and maplaholic.)

This a very fortunate, because if I had waited just a few more months, I would of had to settle for being a "Sapelaholic".  Then all my friends might call me "Sap" as a nickname.

Deep down, I think I am really a Larrivéeaholic.

Now that I have gotten all that off my chest, I think I'll have a drink.  Who's buying this round?
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

I thought for a long time that I was the rosewood type...I do like rosewood but when I started playing mahognay guitars again last year....I was hooked...now I'm a confirmed mahogaholic but like many here, I am a Larriveeaholic as well.  When I first tried an L-03WL, I was very impressed..that's why my vote for the latest "Forum guitar" is for a walnut LS which I think is the clear front runner at this time.  I love all woods...the colours, the grain, the warmth of it...but there something really sweet about the mahogany Larrivees.  Whether you like a sitka top or an MT, they are some the best in the business.

Quote from: Denis on March 03, 2007, 10:40:10 AM
I thought for a long time that I was the rosewood type...I do like rosewood but when I started playing mahognay guitars again last year....I was hooked...now I'm a confirmed mahogaholic but like many here, I am a Larriveeaholic as well.  When I first tried an L-03WL, I was very impressed..that's why my vote for the latest "Forum guitar" is for a walnut LS which I think is the clear front runner at this time.  I love all woods...the colours, the grain, the warmth of it...but there something really sweet about the mahogany Larrivees.  Whether you like a sitka top or an MT, they are some the best in the business.

Denis, I too love the Larrivee Mahogany, I think that nobody did it better. However, Walnut is a great choice for the New Forum Guitar because I don't think that we could get that quality of Mahogany anymore. Also, since Walnut is native to North America I think it makes sense for our guitar.

BTW, have you seen the pics of my P-09 Walnut, she's a beauty? If we can get Walnut like that, it will be extra special.
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

When I saw that Jason at Notable had a South American Quilted Mahogany 03 series Larrivee, I had to have it.  I gave up a fantastic Rosewood dred to fund the deal, but I too am a Mahogaholic!  The stuff doesn't get much nicer and sure isn't getting any cheaper.  I was tiring of the "metallic" overtones of rosewood, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't like to hear it now & then. One of each is a good motto  :thumbsup
1997 Tacoma PM20
2001 Tacoma C5C Chief
2004 Tacoma EMM30 Forum Guitar
2006 Tacoma VECK40C

Tacoma Guitar Forum

My name is Richard, and I'm a fretaholic.
If it's a wooden instrument that can make pretty noises, I'm there.
Guitar ... mando ... bouzouki ... cittern ... uke ... banjo (well, possibly not the banjo :smile:).

Actually, it could be that I'm just a stringaholic.
Played viola in Jr. High, and have also spent time behind a cello & a violin.
Love 'em.

- Richard

"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat crude rhythms for bears to dance,
when all the while we long to make music that will move the stars to pity."
Gustave Flaubert
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Hi my name is Calvin, my go to guitar is a Larrivee LSV-05, I am a Mahogahoic. :beer
:cheers
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

After discussing my mahogaholicnicity treatment to my therapist, I now own a Bourgeois Vintage-D (dark rosewood/adi) and a Collings MT mandolin (spruce-maple).

He said that I now have a whole 'nuther set of issues that we need to talk about over the next few months.

I said, "You can talk if you want, I'm gonna go play"
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Hello,  My name is Woody B and I'm a mahogaholic.    I can quit any time I want to...........I just don't want to :cop: :cop: :cop:

Fully helpless mahogaholic here too

I try to like rosewood.  I try rosewood models and like them in the store but when they get home they fall short of the glorious mahogany models there:

000-50
D-03 Custom
Gibson j100 XTRA (the renowned '95 model - mahogany)

:nanadance

I cant quit 'em
Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130

Big Martin:

I think the 000-50 is what did me in and the SD-50 that I played yesterday didn't help.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

:thumbsup Mahogany is great.  I think if Larrivee made guitars out of pinewood or balsawood it would probably sound great too.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I tend to be a little hoggy myself.
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/

I'm just glad I got my mahogany fix with my L05 in 2004. With the 03 series going sappy... will the 05 series be next? God forbid the 05's go ~shudder~ NATO! Eeeeek!!!  :crying:
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: drathbun on March 16, 2007, 11:29:21 AM
I'm just glad I got my mahogany fix with my L05 in 2004. With the 03 series going sappy... will the 05 series be next? God forbid the 05's go ~shudder~ NATO! Eeeeek!!!  :crying:

Quick, someone needs to post this observation under "Best GAS Excuses".  Not a minute to loose!

Like drathburn, I too am happy to have secured my hog before they become "rare" :humour:  Honey, you just can't get these anymore!!!

jimmy

My name is Rip and I too am a mahoaholic.  I am also a koaholic.  Because of the sound difference between a Martin D18 and a D28, I thought I perfered Rosewood. :mad:  But other guitar makers have shown me the error of my ways.  I have a maholany Santa Cruz D 12fret and a Koa Santa Cruz F Cutaway.  I am afraid to play more guitars because I may get a bad case of G.A.S. :crying: 

Quote from: 1ply on March 18, 2007, 04:28:04 PM
...................................................I am also a koaholic.....................................

Gasp