The "Dealbreaker"

Started by ElJefe, March 01, 2007, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ElJefe on March 06, 2007, 08:12:04 PM
A Painted Pink Parlor with runout, barn door, cut-a-way, neck button strap with a lousy feeling neck. 

Our next forum guitar? 

We'll have to include a sack of petooties.

Let's make it out of Brazilian Rosewood, with an Adi top, THEN paint it pink!
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

Quote from: expatCanuck on March 19, 2007, 06:15:00 AM
As L7two said, I had forgotten about a strap pin into the side/body of the guitar.

This one just breaks my heart:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290095910316

- Richard

This placement of a strap pin is not as rare as you might think.  A number of people actually prefer the way a guitar hangs with such a button.  I have read post by Wade Hampton Miller on the Acoustic Guitar forum about glueing a small block of wood to the inside of a guitar for reinforcement for such a button.  I believe it is called the "Doc Watson" position because Doc prefers it.  But, Doc's blind you know, so we can't trust him as an authority on what looks good. :humour:
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

Quote from: the_sound_of_acoustic_soul on March 01, 2007, 08:06:11 PM
I won't buy any guitar with a "barn door" cut in the side of it.  I find the look of an EQ on the side of an otherwise perfectly good gutiar completely disgusting.  I always think, "What a shame...." when I see it. 

Insert humor and/or sarcasm here:

I got myself a product called a Telecaster to take care of my interest in cables and electricity as it relates to guitars. Less knobs made it easy to figure out, and the only hole in the side uses the same cables that go in some of the big round hole type guitars.

My only words of caution for this Larrivee plus Telecaster setup are they are could hurt future growth of the industry because they are so nice and fun to play and hear they stopped any desire I had to buy other guitars. I'll warn that the Telecaster product can cause some split personality issues. If you put the switch forward you might think you're a jazz or blues person, center makes you a blues or rock person, and back makes you feel sort of country and has you practice the major pentatonic scales. All that fun and I have not had to make any other hole than the big round one already in my dreadnought.

;)

Quote from  Sabitini  "This placement of a strap pin is not as rare as you might think.  A number of people actually prefer the way a guitar hangs with such a button.  I have read post by Wade Hampton Miller on the Acoustic Guitar forum about glueing a small block of wood to the inside of a guitar for reinforcement for such a button.  I believe it is called the "Doc Watson" position because Doc prefers it.  But, Doc's blind you know, so we can't trust him as an authority on what looks good. "
:+1:

Saw Doyle Dykes live recently,  his strap pin was also in the same place.   

Played around a bit and this placement is less critical to getting the guitar to balance without any tendancy to tip away or toward the player.
One instructor I had also prefered this placment.

If you havent tried it, .....

ds
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Sorry   double  post

:blush:
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17